Poll: Platinum Jubilee

Do you intend to celebrate The Queen's Platinum Jubilee?

• Yes

Votes: 94 20.4%
  • No

Votes: 296 64.2%
  • Pizza Express

Votes: 71 15.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
Charles: "Camilla darling, i read that they are going to abolish Mummy, what wIll she do, she is only 106."
Camilla: "Well Cornwall could secede from the UK and we could rule as Duke and Duchess."

"What about the Principality?"

"Wales? No too full of Reds."

Theoretical breakfast conversation at Highgrove house in 2032.

Soldato
Barely. I've never seen them doing any outreach in communities. What service has any of them actually done themselves? Not just putting their name to the work of others.

The organisation I work for serves the most vulnerable children and young adults in Bristol most at risk of sexual/crime exploitation as well as families who can't afford to even wash their clothes let alone put food on the table, along with getting them engaged back into education/work. The social workers I work with work tirelessly and relentlessly helping and protecting the vulnerable of our society... Andrew just preys on them.
So what you're saying is that you are more deserving of admiration than the Royal family. I appreciate you do an admirable job.

Soldato
So what you're saying is that you are more deserving of admiration than the Royal family. I appreciate you do an admirable job.
No, Haha. I can take no credit for the hard work my colleagues do. I just run the IT network and don't do any of the tough work. My point is that most cities have similar not-for-profit organisations that serve the most vulnerable in the community and do a hell of a lot more for society than the Royal Family do.

I don't see why I should care more about a family born into obscene privilege than another 96 year old lady who is having to decide between heating the house or eating.

Soldato
Barely. I've never seen them doing any outreach in communities. What service has any of them actually done themselves? Not just putting their name to the work of others.

The organisation I work for serves the most vulnerable children and young adults in Bristol most at risk of sexual/crime exploitation as well as families who can't afford to even wash their clothes let alone put food on the table, along with getting them engaged back into education/work. The social workers I work with work tirelessly and relentlessly helping and protecting the vulnerable of our society... Andrew just preys on them.
Its an idealistic view, the cost of security would make it pointless for them to be out helping people everyday.

Soldato

Sure, Andrew flew Helicopters in the Falklands War despite all the bad things that happened following that. Harry and William both served their country in the military, Prince Phillip did, the Queen drove ambulances in WW2, I mean the list goes on. I don't think you can actually say in good conscience that the Royal Family haven't served their country, their list of charity work would be endless. Good on you for doing what you are too though man.

Soldato
In answer to the original question, no I didn't "celebrate" the Platinum Jubilee, but I certainly didn't begrudge the celebrations themselves or anyone who feels they want to. I appreciated the 2 extra days (But boy did they speed by!)

Soldato
Sure, Andrew flew Helicopters in the Falklands War despite all the bad things that happened following that. Harry and William both served their country in the military, Prince Phillip did, the Queen drove ambulances in WW2, I mean the list goes on. I don't think you can actually say in good conscience that the Royal Family haven't served their country, their list of charity work would be endless. Good on you for doing what you are too though man.

So we have to go back decades for some of them to show the service they did? Compared to the regular people who also do those roles, they had it easy. The list of charity work they've put their name to would be endless, sure. But what work have they actually done with their own hands, hard work and sweat - for those that still have the ability to sweat.

I don't hate them or wish ill upon them, it's not their fault they're born into the system that already exists. I just don't see the point of them and I wouldn't miss them if they went away tomorrow.

Soldato

What don't you understand here?

It's 100% possible to solve world hunger, there is enough recourses, we can also make a house, home or 1 room shelter for everyone on the planet - however those with the available recourses & influence have chosen not to do this, I do not understand why, as they would remain abhorrently rich & still retain their 'power' & influence, & further to that, had she done that (she wouldn't have personally had to lift a finger, only commanded others to do the work) she would have gone down as the greatest monarch in history making sure everyone was fed.

As it is, since the righties, brexiters & flag worshippers have recently got their way, UK living standards have nose dived, the cost of living has doubled, food banks are nearly out numbering McDonalds & starvation and hunger in the UK is now at its worse since the 1800's.

Charles or William have a similar choice, I doubt they will make it happen either - revolting, considering they get millions from tax payers money - id rather that money went to feeding starving people, not already billionaires.

Hope that's clarified things for you - I'd be astonished if you disagree with that logic.

Soldato
I disagree.

You said the Queen hasn't solved world hunger. You want our tiny island to be responsible for solely ending world hunger? Noble, but unrealistic.

There's been billions pumped into these countries over the years and it's still no better. Having seen foreign aid been siphoned off by corrupt officials, until this is addressed and the rest of the world gets on board - I don't think the UK can solve this and nor should we.

Last edited:
Associate
What don't you understand here?

It's 100% possible to solve world hunger, there is enough recourses, we can also make a house, home or 1 room shelter for everyone on the planet - however those with the available recourses & influence have chosen not to do this, I do not understand why, as they would remain abhorrently rich & still retain their 'power' & influence, & further to that, had she done that (she wouldn't have personally had to lift a finger, only commanded others to do the work) she would have gone down as the greatest monarch in history making sure everyone was fed.

As it is, since the righties, brexiters & flag worshippers have recently got their way, UK living standards have nose dived, the cost of living has doubled, food banks are nearly out numbering McDonalds & starvation and hunger in the UK is now at its worse since the 1800's.

Charles or William have a similar choice, I doubt they will make it happen either - revolting, considering they get millions from tax payers money - id rather that money went to feeding starving people, not already billionaires.

Hope that's clarified things for you - I'd be astonished if you disagree with that logic.

Wow! Lots of fairly deep stuff here…I can’t say I disagree with anything you’ve stated in terms of resources, the trajectory of UK standard of living etc., but instigating the sort of change (to the system) to get the outcomes in you seem to be looking for opens up all sorts of other questions - not debating here as these issues aren’t all due to the existence of a monarchy.

The royal family may get tax payers money but I wouldn’t class that money as a waste, they generate income too - there are plenty of other areas in the public sector where amounts of money dwarfing that going to the royal family is wasted and that could be better used elsewhere.

As for the jubilee, I wouldn’t describe myself as a royalist and I generally don’t idolise other people, so you wouldn’t find me clambering to take selfies with any of them but I think the UK monarchy currently is generally a good thing for the UK, yes a lot of it is luck of being born into it but you can say that for any family to certain extent e.g. if born into wealth, family business etc.. As I get older I do respect the Queen (and DoE too) more though.

As others have said it was a chance for some extra time off, to enjoy a bit of patriotism and company of neighborhood, some food and some entertainment on the TV.

Soldato
Associate
To be fair The Guardian is just writing articles for the bearded male feminists and unattractive women that read it
I wish they were more constructive in their criticisms. They do some great pieces on exposing racism.
But then they do stunts like this and it undoes all their good work, so lack balance and common sense.

Ultimately too many people are ill/depressed - schnizophrenic, that if they see someone else having a good time they want to **** on their parade.

Someone said earlier then anyone who criticised the weekend party must be a sad miserable git - and I agree totally, got to be something wrong with people when they cannot even enjoy the party.
I mean I got no links to the queen at all and don't care too much for them as god has given them a life to live - but still enjoyed the party as a party is a party regardless of the purpose.

Associate
All those events cost roughly 90p for each taxpayer in the UK.

Worth every penny.
Given the cost of living crisis the country is currently going through, I can't help feel that the £28million this cost is still a slap in the face to every person needing to use a foodbank.

If it "only" cost every taxpayer 90p (Also that figure was per household, not per taxpayer, fyi) Why are people so unwilling to give 90p a year (totally 28 million) to help the most vulnerable / at risk in society, rather than the most privileged, well supported, least "at risk" people in society?

The mind boggles. It's a visual representation of "Let them eat cake" to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom