Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
I read this thread for ages before stepping in. I always think my running is considerably less than stellar when compared to the likes of people like D.P. but I am forever thankful of the advice that comes in from everyone. In the end, I don't think it really matters about comparisons etc but it is more about just getting out and doing it (or something)

I use the time out to kind of blank off anything else that might be going on and it is great to be able to switch off and have something else completely unrelated to work etc.

Caporegime
I bought a jacket. I just feel more comfortable wearing one. I have a Ronhill jacket; this one http://www.ronhill.com/mens-stride-windspeed-jacket. It helped during windy, cold and rainy days.

Then again I also wear tights as again, I feel more comfortable over shorts.

I hadn't run for almost a month, so now the snow cleared. I got out tonight and did 3.8miles without any stops.

I also have a jacket and wear it form time to time. But the conditions really have to warrant it, e.g. very cold and very windy, or pouring rain and cold etc. If at all possible it is left behind. I have a Patagonia Houdini, packs down into its own pocket and weighs nothing so if it stop raining I can take it off and pocket it.

Caporegime
I don't post in here as my running is feeble and I have nothing to offer to those asking for guidance but I would like to say a huge thank you to all of you. Makes for great reading and nice to see the successes you're all making in your own battles.
I'm doing my first full marathon in August and it's this thread that keeps me pounding out the miles :)

this thread is for anyone who runs or wants to run, especially beginners! You should never compare yourself to others, only yourself and where you were in the past. I have only been running for 3 years so i am also learning a lot and making big improvements. you likely do have lots of advice to offer others based on your personal experiences.

Good luck with the marathon training!

Soldato
this thread is for anyone who runs or wants to run, especially beginners! You should never compare yourself to others, only yourself and where you were in the past. I have only been running for 3 years so i am also learning a lot and making big improvements. you likely do have lots of advice to offer others based on your personal experiences.

Good luck with the marathon training!

I've highlighted a great line from DP there.

My first marathon was something of a disaster after 20 miles. I learnt from that experience and when I was ready to have another crack (3 years later), I went from 4:35 to 3:48. The winner was probably home & showered before I finished but I'm damn proud of that improvement.

That said, running isn't just about "the clock" and PBs. I ran the Budapest Half Marathon in 2015 with Mrs Chri5. Way slower than my PB but great to see the city, enjoy the race atmosphere with no pressure about PBs or the like and help the Mrs a little bit.

Associate
What happened at around 20 Miles? I ask because I only have 7 weeks left to my first and want to try and identify what I am facing :)

I think that unless you are up in the top flite then you can only really compare against your own performance. For Parkruns etc. I just go round at whatever feels comfortable at the time. I used to be concerned if I was slower but I am starting to be less bothered by it now :)

Soldato
My jacket is a really thin one then I have a waist coat type thing over that . I always seem to be cold . Comfy enough though . Once it’s a bit warmer I’ll ditch the jacket and use my Nike run hoody thing .

Soldato
My jacket is a really thin one then I have a waist coat type thing over that
Don't you have the windproof jacket on the top though, with a few layers/waist-coat beneath it ?
if its wind-proof on the top and some wicking layers beneath, I find you do not need much insulation.

Have been using windproof top (montane featherlite) for last couple of months, but my regular route is pretty exposed, cycling skull cap is essential, too.

Caporegime
What happened at around 20 Miles? I ask because I only have 7 weeks left to my first and want to try and identify what I am facing :)

I think that unless you are up in the top flite then you can only really compare against your own performance. For Parkruns etc. I just go round at whatever feels comfortable at the time. I used to be concerned if I was slower but I am starting to be less bothered by it now :)

It is very common for marathon runners to start off too fast. They think the pace is sustainable as it still feels easy. They might have even done some shorter races that would perhaps indicate they could run a certain goal time (there are table that can calculate marathon time form a 5k/10k etc) without realizing that the predictions are only accurate when suitable trained (e.g, typically they assume 70miles per week for a marathon). More often than not somewhere around miles 18 to 22 they hit the wall. Despite increasing exertion, paces fall precipitously, often to a walk of shame. Attempts to get running again fail quickly. They might be on or faster than goal pace through the first 20 miles, and then loose an hour or more in the last 10k, crossing the line a miserable wreck.

The cause is simply they went too fast for their fitness. Going out even a few seconds a mile to fast is bound to lead to disaster, unless you happened to have a soft goal time. Now there can be some other genuine reasons to have a bad time at the end, often related to injuries, cramps, digestion/nausea, heat. But going too fast is the most common.

Pacing is critical in any race but especially a marathon. In a shorter race if you go too fast then you will sl;ow modestly at the end, you wont get the fastest time but wont have a complete breakdown. In a marathon a small pace error can lead to a DNF, or literally crawling on your hands and knees in extreme cases. You only have a finite supply of glycogen, around 2000 calories which is about 16-20 miles worth at marathon pace. You will burn some fat, but not quite enough. Gels and sports drink can top up a few hundred more which is going to be just sufficient to get you over the line, and no more. At the end of a marathon if you are racing hard, your blood sugar is so low that your brain starts to go all fuzzy and your vision ends up a small blurry hole in the center. One marathon at mile 25 i nearly hit the wall, apparently I saw my wife and kids and waved to them but have absolutely no memory. At the finish i asked my wife why she wasn't where we agreed to cheer me on! She has the photo to prove I was waving at her, but my brain was too glucose and oxygen deprived at that point. I got a good finish time, 12 minute PR

For a beginner start 30-60s a mile slower than goal pace, every mile cut 5-7 seconds until you hit goal pace. At goal pace, you need to experiment a little and find that sweet spot, might be that you need to back-off 5-10secs from your goal to keep effort and HR in the right place. As you get faster and more experienced then the same idea applies. I start about 20-30seconds a mile slower, and try and hit goal pace by mile 4. Once you hit mile 20 you need to see how you feel but can start increasing speed to just faster than goal pace

With fresh legs form taper, race day excitement, adrenaline, and people rushing buy it is all too easy to go way too fast at the start. Best to keep looking at the watch and get a pace slower than goal to begin with. Going faster than goal pace has an exponential increase in energy cost, especially before your muscles are all warmed up.

Associate
More often than not somewhere around miles 18 to 22 they hit the wall. Despite increasing exertion, paces fall precipitously, often to a walk of shame. Attempts to get running again fail quickly. They might be on or faster than goal pace through the first 20 miles, and then loose an hour or more in the last 10k, crossing the line a miserable wreck.
This is what I want to avoid. The advice on walking breaks has been really useful.

At the end of a marathon if you are racing hard, your blood sugar is so low that your brain starts to go all fuzzy and your vision ends up a small blurry hole in the center.
I am thinking that this is what was happening to the guy that was on the news at London last year. The one who was helped in the last 200 metres or so.

For a beginner start 30-60s a mile slower than goal pace, every mile cut 5-7 seconds until you hit goal pace. At goal pace, you need to experiment a little and find that sweet spot, might be that you need to back-off 5-10secs from your goal to keep effort and HR in the right place. As you get faster and more experienced then the same idea applies. I start about 20-30 seconds a mile slower, and try and hit goal pace by mile 4. Once you hit mile 20 you need to see how you feel but can start increasing speed to just faster than goal pace
I just need to sort pacing and times etc. and that fits with what I was planning. I reckoned that starting slower was almost a given based on the crowds but we shall see. Starting lo look like I will have to wear my glasses after all (Can't read the watch reliably without them!)

Associate
First races of the year coming up for me - Surrey Half Marathon on Sunday 11th and then Eastleigh 10K on the 18th

Had a poor year injury wise, tendonitus and that shin splint word(s) but touch wood I've been able to back off the running substantially and recover and still keep most of my speed.

Would like to get pb in both races, aiming for sub 90 in the half and sub 40 in the 10k (both would be massive pb) although I will very much be playing them by how I feel on the day - must be mindful not to go out too quick but my time would be very close for the half to slow too much at the start. Will start at 4.25 minute kilometres for the half and 4.00 for the 10k for the first 5k of each and hope to negative split.

Soldato
I'm up for a bit of punishment this Sunday, 42 years old and doing my first marathon in Barcelona. This will be my second organised run with the first being a 5k in Vegas last November, prior to that I'd only run around 8 miles max .

I'm not expecting a great time to be honest, the 4 months training have been stalled by posterior shin splints and the flu. The shin splints being the major pain , literally, and in the end I just had to rest for 2 weeks and do no running at all. As a compromise I shelved the running plan I was following and I ended up just doing long runs every Sunday, which seems to have worked and has allowed to get to 20 miles in 3h39m , would be happy at 4h30m ish but just looking to finish now as it's been a bit of a struggle. In saying that though I've really enjoyed the challenge and pushing myself. Nervous and excited about Sunday :)

Don
I've never run with a jacket on, even in sub-zero temperatures. I am wearing long-sleeve tops and a gillet / vest in the extreme temperatures though. For the first time this year I ran in shorts this afternoon!

I don't run in the rain though!

Associate
First races of the year coming up for me - Surrey Half Marathon on Sunday 11th and then Eastleigh 10K on the 18th

Good Luck. I'll be at Eastleigh! It's a fast course but the start is busy, try and get close to the front, and watch out for the traffic islands. There is a small hill at about 4K that lasts about 500m, starts as you go past the Harvester on your right, once you crest it the downward leg is pretty speedy

Once you get into the park at the end its time to empty the tank.

https://www.strava.com/activities/905880505 Last years race

I don't think I'll be on for a PB (Sub 40:30), as I've been away eating and drinking for a few weeks. I'll be happy with a sub 42, I never seem to run well at Eastleigh. We should be finishing pretty close together.

If you like it a pretty similar race in Jan is the Stubbington 10k, it normally fills up by December. Its my PB course, I've got my 10k pb there 3 times in a row

Last edited:
Associate
Good Luck. I'll be at Eastleigh! It's a fast course but the start is busy, try and get close to the front, and watch out for the traffic islands. There is a small hill at about 4K that lasts about 500m, starts as you go past the Harvester on your right, once you crest it the downward leg is pretty speedy
Useful information - thanks. Hopefully I will survive the half with enough left to go for it. My current Strava times don't necessarily reflect my form so really hoping to set that straight although sub 40 is probably pushing it in reality. Will keep an eye out, pick up my number today... could this be a OCUK race brewing?? :)

Associate
Useful information - thanks. Hopefully I will survive the half with enough left to go for it. My current Strava times don't necessarily reflect my form so really hoping to set that straight although sub 40 is probably pushing it in reality. Will keep an eye out, pick up my number today... could this be a OCUK race brewing?? :)

Sounds good! My number came today 2701, I'll be in a Blue Totton Running club T-Shirt.

Caporegime

Had a poor year injury wise, tendonitus and that shin splint word(s) but touch wood I've been able to back off the running substantially and recover and still keep most of my speed.

Would like to get pb in both races, aiming for sub 90 in the half and sub 40 in the 10k (both would be massive pb) although I will very much be playing them by how I feel on the day - must be mindful not to go out too quick but my time would be very close for the half to slow too much at the start. Will start at 4.25 minute kilometres for the half and 4.00 for the 10k for the first 5k of each and hope to negative split.

Good luck! Glad you control injuries.

Be very careful for that second race, you may not have recovered properly. Definitely les chance of a PR unless a soft target

Caporegime
I struggle to start in the rain. Most of the time I am ok if it starts whilst I am out but not a fan of deliberately getting wet when running.
I'm the same but have been training myself not to be a pansy.

For about an hour it is quite fun but after that I just get cold, wet and miserable.

Back
Top Bottom