Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Permabanned
winning.jpg

Not bad for someone with ****** Knee foot and back considering iw came back from rave 5am this morning and had 3 hours nap :D

70quid for chancer research :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just as a reminder for anyone who is interested the London Marathon ballot has opened up today, you've got until 5pm on Friday to enter the ballot. I've just submitted my entry although given the number of entries I'm not expecting to get a place so will probably also start looking at alternative marathons, maybe Brighton again if I'm not inspired by anything else.

Associate
Just as a reminder for anyone who is interested the London Marathon ballot has opened up today, you've got until 5pm on Friday to enter the ballot. I've just submitted my entry although given the number of entries I'm not expecting to get a place so will probably also start looking at alternative marathons, maybe Brighton again if I'm not inspired by anything else.

Crap forgot about that! Thanks, entered

Caporegime

Thanks.

Will wait to see if I get in on good for age time, otherwise will look at Berlin or Paris.

Associate
Giving it a miss this year. Whilst the event was great and I would love to do it again, the Kids and Mrs both struggled in London (Heat and Arthritis etc.)

Next one(s) will be more local and they can then stay at home and do other stuff :)

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I put in for the regular ballot with my friend. If we don't get in we might pursue the charity route. I still want to complete a marathon before October however it seems there's not so many in the north west later in the year. Anything too soon I won't be ready for.

Man of Honour
I put in for the regular ballot with my friend. If we don't get in we might pursue the charity route. I still want to complete a marathon before October however it seems there's not so many in the north west later in the year. Anything too soon I won't be ready for.

If RunBritain is a complete listing then Lancaster on the 16th of September looks like it might be the only option in the North West. There is an Isle of Man marathon in August but that's probably even more inconvenient than somewhere further down in England for you.

Good luck to you, D.P. and Daaaavvveee for London.

Associate
If RunBritain is a complete listing then Lancaster on the 16th of September looks like it might be the only option in the North West. There is an Isle of Man marathon in August but that's probably even more inconvenient than somewhere further down in England for you.

Good luck to you, D.P. and Daaaavvveee for London.

Thanks!

I also entered the GF, didn't tell her.....Thought it was best to wait for her to get home and check her emails......Lets just say she isn't best pleased!

Associate
Another two "Halfs" run both similar times - 1:32:05 and 1:32:14, the first course was flat but my pacing was rubbish and had at least two walk stops, second was much more fluid if hilly course, paced very well but ran out of legs for last 5k. Adjusting my training for higher mileage and increased long runs. Speed work is really coming on well and starting to move through the tiers at club training. Really enjoying my running :)
Haven't felt the need to scratch the marathon itch but put in for the ballot for London, I won't bother with any other route of entry.

Associate
Another two "Halfs" run both similar times - 1:32:05 and 1:32:14, the first course was flat but my pacing was rubbish and had at least two walk stops, second was much more fluid if hilly course, paced very well but ran out of legs for last 5k. Adjusting my training for higher mileage and increased long runs. Speed work is really coming on well and starting to move through the tiers at club training. Really enjoying my running :)
Haven't felt the need to scratch the marathon itch but put in for the ballot for London, I won't bother with any other route of entry.

Those seem good times! I have only ever done 1 practice half and Blenheim Half which was hell, both managed around 1:47.

Entered Manchester Marathon for my first one ever in April next year, and hoping to do another half later this year.

Associate
Those seem good times! I have only ever done 1 practice half and Blenheim Half which was hell, both managed around 1:47.

Entered Manchester Marathon for my first one ever in April next year, and hoping to do another half later this year.

Thanks. Doing the sub 90 seems to be a "thing" at the running club, adds a bit of kudos or maybe it's perceived to be a reasonable standard for getting places in club / county events. I like the distance and time effort of a half, marathon still scares me.

Marvt74, Manchester currently sold out of first wave of entries. Best register interest soon.

Associate
Thanks. Doing the sub 90 seems to be a "thing" at the running club, adds a bit of kudos or maybe it's perceived to be a reasonable standard for getting places in club / county events. I like the distance and time effort of a half, marathon still scares me.

Marvt74, Manchester currently sold out of first wave of entries. Best register interest soon.

Ahhh ok, I am not part of any running club, just tend to run at work with colleagues, then challenge myself with silly ideas of doing half marathon's and now full ones.....maybe I should get a better hobby....... just game 24/7 :p

Soldato
For those asking about heart rate zones. I would suggest doing a blood lactate test. Basically a ramp test with a blood sample taken after each 3 min interval. 4mmol/L is the lactate threshold, anything beyond that and the lactates will buildup eventually shutting you down.
I did mine cycling and it gave me a HR threshold of 168bpm but I know from experience of running that my threshold HR is around 10 or so beats higher sort of 177-180ish...
Means as I'm running and feeling kinda lowsy so long as my heart rate is below 180 I know it's in my head and to keep going...
Not that I have a vast amount of knowledge or experience, just what I've learned from getting more mileage in and taking this triathlon stuff more seriously.

I'll be running my first half on Sunday, North Lincs. I've done 2 halves in Ironman 70.3 but never done a fresh half, hoping for sub 1:40, 7:30min/miles and I'd be happy.

Back
Top Bottom