Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
I managed my first half with somewhat less than 6 months of training. I am still overweight and old and managed London this year as well. I am sure you will be able to do it no problem.

I am around on Strava here

Also see the OCUK Runners group

Congrats Ian :) Maybe if you run backwards you could reverse the aging process? ;)

Cheers for those links, I'm already, following you and the OCUK Runners. :)

Associate
In regards to the volume D.P, I think even 50km a week might be a stretch, given how injury prone I am, but I'll try and stick to that advice and see how I get.

If your goal is to simply finish the half rather than a specific time you can get away with one run a week, gradually building up distance on that sole run. Obviously the more you run the easier it will become but you don't need to if you don't want to or don't have the time. My wife went from zero running to 9 miles in one run. Fair enough she couldn't walk for a week after...

Soldato
If your goal is to simply finish the half rather than a specific time you can get away with one run a week, gradually building up distance on that sole run. Obviously the more you run the easier it will become but you don't need to if you don't want to or don't have the time. My wife went from zero running to 9 miles in one run. Fair enough she couldn't walk for a week after...

That's impressive for a non runner like your wife! :cool:
Cracked sub 23 minute 5k on the treadmill yesterday (22.54) - well happy.
Knee and hamstring holding nicely.. :)
That's a fantastic time Huddy. Have you had knee and hamstring issues lately?

Man of Honour
That's a fantastic time Huddy. Have you had knee and hamstring issues lately?

Thanks.

I had PCL knee surgery in January .. a small fibre was removed from the hamstring and used round the knee which has oddly taken more time than the knee itself.. I can't believe the difference.. It's like a new knee. The only time i feel a slight soreness in the hamstring is in the gym when performing leg curls.. which i do twice a week to help maintain and build the muscle back up.

Soldato
Quick question following on from D.P etcs, comments about volume, if the fourth week of a block is meant to be a cut back week, is there a rough guide to how much one should cut back by? For example, if I was doing 20km/12 miles a week for three weeks, what would my fourth week look like? I'm sure the answer will be it depends on the experience on the runner, but a beginner like me, would I cut back to 75% to 50% of the previous week's volume?

Man of Honour
I run my longest at a weekend for 3 week then the 4th I have off.. I run 3 - 6 miles during the week if i'm not busy. If that answers your question, IMO, it's down to how you feel both physically and mentally but don't be afraid of taking a rest..

Caporegime
Quick question following on from D.P etcs, comments about volume, if the fourth week of a block is meant to be a cut back week, is there a rough guide to how much one should cut back by? For example, if I was doing 20km/12 miles a week for three weeks, what would my fourth week look like? I'm sure the answer will be it depends on the experience on the runner, but a beginner like me, would I cut back to 75% to 50% of the previous week's volume?

75% is a good figure to begin with. But you can also vary it by feel, so if you feel extra fatigued or any minor niggles take an extra rest day. if you feel great then all you really need to do at the volume/days you are runnign is make the long run slightly shorter than previous week.

Caporegime
Thanks for the advise guys. To expand on DP's questions regarding my target, it would be to finish the event not walking. That's it! So long as I can complete it, even if I'm dead last I'll be happy. So long as I feel I've put my everything into it that is good enough for me at this stage, and lets be honest it will be a personal best! :D Maybe closer to the time as my fitness has improved I might reassess my goals and aim for a time, but not at this moment.

In regards to the volume D.P, I think even 50km a week might be a stretch, given how injury prone I am, but I'll try and stick to that advice and see how I get.

Are either of you two on Strava? It might be handy to follow my progress, weekly volume and shout at me if I'm ramping it up too quick!

It si a good attitude not to worry too much about the race time. You can't really train to run a particular time, you can only train around your current fitness and then you just have to see how fit you are nearer the race. As obvious example, i can;t train to run a sub-2 hr marathon. All i can do is look at my current fitness in terms of what an easy pace is, what speed I can do intervals or tempo runs at, and then train at those paces.
Over time i would hope to see slight improvements. that is the pace I can run at a certain heart rate increases, and I can hold that pace for longer.

What is useful is to find a shorter race about 6 weeks before your goal race, a 10km would be ideal. You plan a recovery week leading up to this test race, but don;t really taper for it. Skip the long run or a hard work out in the days before. Race this shorter race as hard as you can. This serves as a fitness test. you can then lookup various race predictors (ask here) and find an estimate for your half marathon and that will give you a good goal pace. That also means in the last 6 weeks of training you can do some runs at the pace you expect to race at, and can test how that feels.

In regards to volume and injury risk, there is a big misconception. The actual data shows that injury risk vs volume is more of a U-shape, with athletes running lower volume and more workouts having a much higher injury risk. Injury risk then increases above 80-100 miles a week, but doesn't get high until more like 130 miles a week (for men under 50). The misconception arises due to bad training, bad technique and insufficient recovery. Simply put, people ramp up their running volume too quickly and get injured, they then blame the volume when in reality it was the rapid increase in volume. This is compounded if people add harder workouts as the volume increases. Unfortunately, this is a basic running plan. Each week you run more miles, but also have a longer LR , and do more intervals at a faster pace, and a longer tempo run, and then snap - you are injured. If your trainign becomes exponentially harder then of course you will get injured. If you can increase volume slowly, allowing sufficient recovery and don;t add additional stress form workouts, then you have no problems increasing volume to very high amounts. You then can slowly add some more workouts, decreasing volume slightly to help recover.

It isn't really volume that gets runners injured. It is doing hard interval sessions, or an interval workout + a tempo run every week, all while never running their easy runs easy enough.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/12181216

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I hope everyone's running is going well. I had a good run at the Great Scottish Run on Sunday and managed to take about 3 minutes off my PB set earlier in the year and since it's now coming up to XC season I've been looking back over my results a bit as I'm unlikely to improve much more in terms of road results this season. I don't know if I wrote down my goals at the start of the year but they would have been something like sub 5:30 for 1 mile (I haven't raced that distance this year although I did a 2 mile TT in 11:59), sub 19 for 5km (18:43 at a parkrun which is a parkrun best by about 20 seconds but not quite my best time for the distance which was set on a track), sub 40 for 10km (39:10 then on a probably a tougher course 38:30 so two minutes better than last year), sub 90 for a half (1:28:34? in March, a 1:30:55 earlier in September on a reasonably tough course but small field meant I came in third and then 1:25:20 on Sunday so four minutes quicker than last year) and under 3 hours 30 for a marathon (3:22:18 so a PB by about seven minutes). Apologies for the silly and self indulgent post but it feels like I've made some decent improvements and with a bit of luck and a good winter season it'll be even better next year - bring on the mud and the cold...

Caporegime
I hope everyone's running is going well. I had a good run at the Great Scottish Run on Sunday and managed to take about 3 minutes off my PB set earlier in the year and since it's now coming up to XC season I've been looking back over my results a bit as I'm unlikely to improve much more in terms of road results this season. I don't know if I wrote down my goals at the start of the year but they would have been something like sub 5:30 for 1 mile (I haven't raced that distance this year although I did a 2 mile TT in 11:59), sub 19 for 5km (18:43 at a parkrun which is a parkrun best by about 20 seconds but not quite my best time for the distance which was set on a track), sub 40 for 10km (39:10 then on a probably a tougher course 38:30 so two minutes better than last year), sub 90 for a half (1:28:34? in March, a 1:30:55 earlier in September on a reasonably tough course but small field meant I came in third and then 1:25:20 on Sunday so four minutes quicker than last year) and under 3 hours 30 for a marathon (3:22:18 so a PB by about seven minutes). Apologies for the silly and self indulgent post but it feels like I've made some decent improvements and with a bit of luck and a good winter season it'll be even better next year - bring on the mud and the cold...

Well done on the PB and good race results, those are good times. The one weaker result is the Full marathon, a rule of thumb is you can double your half and add 10 minutes, so I think with a bit more marathon specific training you could go sub-3 if you wanted. Getting under 3:08 would certainly be in easy reach after a 4-5month training cycle if you wanted, sub 3 after another such cycle, then you can enter London Good For Age.

I have had my best training year ever overall, although it hasn't really seen the results I wanted. The Marathon training was ruined by weather at both Boston (50kmh head wind) and Geneva (27*C finish temps) so i am still missing a time that I know I can get (somewhere closer to 2:53) but did snag a a token 1 second PR (2:56:15). The summer ultra training went well, The June race 66km 5000m was tough but I ranked well. My Key race was Swiss Peaks 90lm 6140m+ , I just had an off day and finished a couple of hours slower than I imagined but it was a fantastic experience to cover so much mountainous terrain, watch the sun set and then keeping pushing for another 7 hours. Got another trail race in a couple of weeks, 77km and 3550m+ so somewhat flatter.

From a training perspective, I have been putting in far more hours of running than ever before yet feel stronger than ever. Running the trails, lots of vertical and no speed work does wonders for your legs. I plan to try again for Marathon PR in the spring, but already dreading the 6 or 7 interval workouts I'll need.

Soldato

Forgot to say thanks for information mate. Ah you're Tim Stirling... the views on some of those runs look lovely... So inspiring!

Nothing like a bit of self indulgent posts every once in a while :) I've got a spreadsheet for 2019 running goals to keep track of them, if people want, feel free to add your own and we can revisit them next year. :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e3x6tkvd7A1Z3aor8DHewgkP-s27H8aOcaRSMbgOm3U/edit?usp=sharing

Associate
I have the Congleton Half coming up this weekend and am feeling woefully underprepared for it. Had a cold for the last week or so and am just thinking that a reasonable finish would be nice, as I don't think a PB will be coming my way :(

Associate
Need some help folks!!

Been a regular gym and football goer for 2 years so in good shape. Took up running 5 months ago and have run once a week every Friday since. Did the Sutton Coldfield 8.5 mile 'fun run' @ 10min/mile within weeks of starting back in June. Since then iv run 7-8 miles most Fridays. Three weeks ago I ran 9 miles, two weeks ago 10 miles and last Friday I completed 12 miles @ just under 9 min mile (1h 44m).

Iv got the Birmingham half marathon on 14th Oct, 12 days away. After Fridays run I decided up the days I had left with the intention of doing 2 more 12 mile long runs before the marathon for practice. Therefore I'm meant to run tomorrow, rest 4 days, run 12 miles again on Monday and then have 5 days rest before the big day.

Thing is, even with lots of sleep and good food/rest my quads seem really tired from last Fridays run. Im not dying but my legs still don't feel 100% recovered.

So what should be my priority?

1) Fit in another 2x long runs because I need the experience at that distance.
2) Rest more now and only do 1x more long run and have 6-7-8 days rest again before the day.
3) Something else?!

My target is sub 2h half on the day!

Caporegime
Need some help folks!!

Been a regular gym and football goer for 2 years so in good shape. Took up running 5 months ago and have run once a week every Friday since. Did the Sutton Coldfield 8.5 mile 'fun run' @ 10min/mile within weeks of starting back in June. Since then iv run 7-8 miles most Fridays. Three weeks ago I ran 9 miles, two weeks ago 10 miles and last Friday I completed 12 miles @ just under 9 min mile (1h 44m).

Iv got the Birmingham half marathon on 14th Oct, 12 days away. After Fridays run I decided up the days I had left with the intention of doing 2 more 12 mile long runs before the marathon for practice. Therefore I'm meant to run tomorrow, rest 4 days, run 12 miles again on Monday and then have 5 days rest before the big day.

Thing is, even with lots of sleep and good food/rest my quads seem really tired from last Fridays run. Im not dying but my legs still don't feel 100% recovered.

So what should be my priority?

1) Fit in another 2x long runs because I need the experience at that distance.
2) Rest more now and only do 1x more long run and have 6-7-8 days rest again before the day.
3) Something else?!

My target is sub 2h half on the day!

Rest.

More info tomorrow, but rest. If you run, then short 3-4 miles runs2- 3minutes sleeper mile than intended pace, but with 1 mile at race pace in the middle. But I would only do 1 of these

EDIT: SO the issue is you have basically done a race within training. It can take weeks to recover from a race like a half marathon. If your target for a HM is under 2hrs and you ran 12 in 1:44 then that was when you had your race, you should have saved that effort for race day.

The distance itslef is fine. For a HM it is good to get runs of 14 to 16 miles under your belt. But these should be at a pace 2-3 minutes slower than you intend to race at, as should almost all your running. These are harder effort also need to be around 4 weeks before race day so you can recover.

Not much you can do about that now. Extra sleep and reduce stress will help. Swimming or walking will help active the muscles without stressing them. You can also do some massages.

You have to realize there is absolutely nothing you can do between now and race day that will help with fitness or your ability to race well. Useful adaptions takes months, or even years of training. However, there are lots of ways you can screw up and ensure a bad experience. Number 1 would be to go for more long runs. They will do absolutely nothing for you at this stage beyond damaging muscles that wont repair fully by race day.

Once your legs feel better then I suggest doing 1 or 2 runs of 3-4 miles. Perhaps if you feel good this Thursday-Friday something up to 5 or 6.. Do 1 or 2 miles at 11:30 pace, 1 or 2 at 9:00 pace and 1 mile or so at 11 pace, given you want to run at around 9min/mile on race day.

2 days before race day something like 2 miles with 1 mile at 11:30, 0.5 to 1mile at 9:00, may being finishing at 8:45, then 0.5 miles at 11 pace. This will loosen your legs.

If 2 hours is you intended finishing time, then make sure the first mile is done at 9:40-10:00 pace, cut down 10-15 second a mile until you hit 9:00 pace. From mile 9 to 10 you can take stock and see about speeding up about 10-15 seconds a mile. Once you have a mile to go you can see about opening up more.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have the Congleton Half coming up this weekend and am feeling woefully underprepared for it. Had a cold for the last week or so and am just thinking that a reasonable finish would be nice, as I don't think a PB will be coming my way :(

I often get a cold during taper, wonder how it will impact me, and then race day goes fine.

Whether you will get a PB will depend on how tough the PB was last time (i.e., did you crush the previous PB and ran to within an inch of puking at the finish, or did you fade slowly at the end and it was a hot/windy day on a holly course).
If training was lower but not drastically, then you could still aim for a very modest PB and see what happens. Make sure you have a good race strategy with consistent pacing, except for an easier start.

Back
Top Bottom