Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
Rest.

More info tomorrow, but rest. If you run, then short 3-4 miles runs2- 3minutes sleeper mile than intended pace, but with 1 mile at race pace in the middle. But I would only do 1 of these

EDIT: SO the issue is you have basically done a race within training. It can take weeks to recover from a race like a half marathon. If your target for a HM is under 2hrs and you ran 12 in 1:44 then that was when you had your race, you should have saved that effort for race day.

The distance itslef is fine. For a HM it is good to get runs of 14 to 16 miles under your belt. But these should be at a pace 2-3 minutes slower than you intend to race at, as should almost all your running. These are harder effort also need to be around 4 weeks before race day so you can recover.

Not much you can do about that now. Extra sleep and reduce stress will help. Swimming or walking will help active the muscles without stressing them. You can also do some massages.

You have to realize there is absolutely nothing you can do between now and race day that will help with fitness or your ability to race well. Useful adaptions takes months, or even years of training. However, there are lots of ways you can screw up and ensure a bad experience. Number 1 would be to go for more long runs. They will do absolutely nothing for you at this stage beyond damaging muscles that wont repair fully by race day.

Once your legs feel better then I suggest doing 1 or 2 runs of 3-4 miles. Perhaps if you feel good this Thursday-Friday something up to 5 or 6.. Do 1 or 2 miles at 11:30 pace, 1 or 2 at 9:00 pace and 1 mile or so at 11 pace, given you want to run at around 9min/mile on race day.

2 days before race day something like 2 miles with 1 mile at 11:30, 0.5 to 1mile at 9:00, may being finishing at 8:45, then 0.5 miles at 11 pace. This will loosen your legs.

If 2 hours is you intended finishing time, then make sure the first mile is done at 9:40-10:00 pace, cut down 10-15 second a mile until you hit 9:00 pace. From mile 9 to 10 you can take stock and see about speeding up about 10-15 seconds a mile. Once you have a mile to go you can see about opening up more.

Thank you for your advice. My wife began running with me at the same time and we always run together. Our fitness levels are very similar. She found the 12 miler just as hard as me but surprisingly my legs are still tired, especially quads which is odd, she's fine!

I thought it was important to get another 1-2 long runs in before the day because we have only ever run 2-3 long runs above the 10 mile mark recently and felt we didn't have enough experience doing the distances. But from what I understand from your advice is that rest in the days I have left is far more important than doing any running.

Caporegime
Thank you for your advice. My wife began running with me at the same time and we always run together. Our fitness levels are very similar. She found the 12 miler just as hard as me but surprisingly my legs are still tired, especially quads which is odd, she's fine!

I thought it was important to get another 1-2 long runs in before the day because we have only ever run 2-3 long runs above the 10 mile mark recently and felt we didn't have enough experience doing the distances. But from what I understand from your advice is that rest in the days I have left is far more important than doing any running.

numerous reasons could explain different recovery, e.g. if you weigh more than her then you had to work harder and suffered greater impact forces. If she does additional running or other training that has a similar stress then she will have a higher run fitness. It is also the case that recovery varies widely between people anyway.

The long run distance is not that important, especially for a half marathon. To put things in perspective, I did a 58mile ultra last week but never ran more than about 20 miles in training. Far more important is your total run volume.
Moreover, any possible adaptions to long runs wont really take effect for a few weeks, so they wont help you in any useful way.

What will help a little is easier running at shorter distances.

I guess my plan was like 'cramming for an exam' kinda scenario!

Doesn't work with running, you have to do the opposite and taper down doing less and less running. At the end of a training cycle there not much you can do, recovery is the main goal. If you want to do extra work, then this has to be done months in advance.

You will be fine on your race but the last thing you want to do is another long run, something short and easy

Soldato
numerous reasons could explain different recovery, e.g. if you weigh more than her then you had to work harder and suffered greater impact forces. If she does additional running or other training that has a similar stress then she will have a higher run fitness. It is also the case that recovery varies widely between people anyway.

That's a point I've been meaning to ask. Apparently the force exerted on the body is around 1.5 times that of the runner's body weight. Where does the half come from? I weight 66kg so that means I could be putting around 99kg through my body with each footfall?

Caporegime
That's a point I've been meaning to ask. Apparently the force exerted on the body is around 1.5 times that of the runner's body weight. Where does the half come from? I weight 66kg so that means I could be putting around 99kg through my body with each footfall?

Gravity. When you foot launches off the ground it has to exert a force against gravity (and forwards), then when your foot lands your leg has to absorb the impact force. Basically the same when you jump and land back on the ground the impact force is the sum of gravity + the force you did against gravity to jump up in the air.

This is when goo running form helps, a high cadence of 180-190 will greatly lower the impact forces, as well as reduce vertical oscillation which is less efficient. A higher cadence will also tend to make you land on your mid-foot, which reduces forces on your knees.

However, overall, runners have lower risks of long term knee issues and osteoarthritis than non-runners. Good technique and well cushion running shoes mitigates most risks.

Associate
Blergh! Did the Congleton half in 2:18:44 this morning. Got the speeds all wrong again at the start and then had to slow too much towards the end due to umm... lets say technical issues :o

So, all in all, reasonably happy(ish) given the circumstances.

Caporegime
Blergh! Did the Congleton half in 2:18:44 this morning. Got the speeds all wrong again at the start and then had to slow too much towards the end due to umm... lets say technical issues :o

So, all in all, reasonably happy(ish) given the circumstances.

The start of a race is the one time you need to stare at your watch constantly to make sure you are going slow enough, regardless of how you feel. You want that first mile to be the slowest, second mile to be the second slowest (unless there are big hills). It takes a lot fo fopcus to run your first mile slower than your intended average goal pace but its really important.

Associate
The start of a race is the one time you need to stare at your watch constantly to make sure you are going slow enough, regardless of how you feel. You want that first mile to be the slowest, second mile to be the second slowest (unless there are big hills). It takes a lot fo fopcus to run your first mile slower than your intended average goal pace but its really important.

I know, I know :) I'm going to blame it on still being relatively new to all this and so on :D

Man of Honour
Ran my first 10k race yesterday. An 'undulating' local course where I managed 38:05, very pleased with that. Next target is a sub 90 minute half marathon in mid November.

six and half minute milling is very impressive.. well done.

I completed 14 miles yesterday.. I decided that since it was such a lovely morning , to leave my phone at home.. no pace maker, no music.. just lovely country fresh air :)

Associate
I managed a small 5k PB on Saturday evening in Bournemouth, I'm now down to 19:24. It was along the coast and pretty windy, I think I would have been in the 19:1x's in less wind. I'm Starting to think Sub19 is do-able!

Sub70 at the Great South Run is my next target

Soldato
Well after doing bugger all for a long (long) time. I have just signed up to the Manchester marathon next April in the hope it'll give me motivation.

I've piled on around 5kg in the last few weeks as my general lifestyle has been awful, no running, no gym, not really played football and i've been eating loads of crap!

Caporegime
Ran my first 10k race yesterday. An 'undulating' local course where I managed 38:05, very pleased with that. Next target is a sub 90 minute half marathon in mid November.

Great time for your first 10km. With that kind of time you could aim for around 1:27 at the HM.

Good luck

Soldato
Marathon training day one. Did 2.5 miles!

It’s definately going to take a while to get me back.

@d.p given the marathon is in April and I’ve just suggested I was pretty tired at 2.5miles. Would you suggest I just try and keep doing short runs and trying to do them most days to get a base of 15-20 miles a week and aim to build myself back up to 8-10 miles towards the end of November/December and then Jan-Apr push on building up to 20-25.

Caporegime
Marathon training day one. Did 2.5 miles!

It’s definately going to take a while to get me back.

@d.p given the marathon is in April and I’ve just suggested I was pretty tired at 2.5miles. Would you suggest I just try and keep doing short runs and trying to do them most days to get a base of 15-20 miles a week and aim to build myself back up to 8-10 miles towards the end of November/December and then Jan-Apr push on building up to 20-25.

It is a bit of a balance because longer runs give more benefits but you don't won't to get so tired that recovery takes too long. You have plenty of time, so you can start with frequent short runs. You should find that over a few weeks you will be able to run a little further on some of the runs. After 6 weeks you can make 1 or 2 of them longer, maybe taking an extra rest day if you feel too fatigued

Back
Top Bottom