Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Strava is terrible if you ever think you're not doing enough! I joined one of the challenges to run 26.2 miles over about 2 weeks. Nice and easy i thought.

Bare in mind this challenge started on the 22nd October so is 3 days old.

These guys have done 87 MILES!

0mRLS5t.png

Underboss
Got my first 5k race (actually I'm just going to run it without a venue) next week.

This will be a proper run, did 10k on my very first run, and my knees where hurting for weeks. Now I've got the Garmin coach, been training for 15 weeks now, 3 days a week and my knees don't suffer anymore so I'm ready, my last one was 2.5miles 2 weeks ago, now it's time for 5k. I'll post my results

Caporegime
I look at these and am always suspicious anyway. Some of the ones lower down are a bit weird (30 Miles, 16 runs and only 3 days in?)

Definitely some weird stuff on Strava, especially people uploading bike rides as runs.

However, 87miles in 3 days is nothing much if they did a race. 100 mile races are really popular.
Also, some elites can do 30 miles a day in an over-training week, getting 170-200 miles in a week of training and then recovery for a week. Other can get consistant 150 mile weeks, for months at a time as an aerobic build up.

I know a guy on a RB run group that has done over 200 Marathons this year alone, and opver half were actually 50K trail races. Even the logistics of that is just mind blowing. He constantly flies between Europe and the US and filles out 20 odd days of continuous 26-31 mile races, before some overnight flight back across the atlantic. Most of his rest days come from canceled lights etc so he misses the race the next day.

When in peak trainign I find 100 miles a week dooable, but time constraints tend to limit things. And I cna;t do consistent 100 mile weeks if I add any speed work, in which case 80MPW works a bit better.

Associate
I know what you mean. Mind you, I then start to wonder what these guys do for a living (assuming that they aren't sponsored) I get 23 days holiday per year and to then spend it on running rather then going on holiday with the family would soon see me being single again (Assuming I could even afford all the travel) ;)

Underboss
To be honest, for the autumn months all you really need is a long sleeve base layer once you've warmed up.

When it gets much colder, I tend to wear a gilet over the top and some hat / gloves that I can put in the pockets when I get too hot.

My ethos (rightly or wrongly) is to keep my core body warm and my arms / legs will take care of themself while I'm actually running

Last winter I wore an ancient Ron Hill base layer thing under my t-shirt. In almost every case, I had to shove the sleeves up at some point through the run as i was too hot.

I found that it was primarily
  • Starting Off - I struggled with motivation if it was too cold and it helped take that edge off at the start
  • Mid - Late run when the cold air had blow up my t-shirt and my stomach was frozen. it was just kept that bit warmer

i was rather cold today !
came out of work, got to were i go for a run, and i was cold. car said 9 degrees but there was also a wind chill

All I had on was a Highly breathable base layer, Running T-Shirt, and a highly breathable rain resistant jacket, hands felt the worst though, needed my gloves!

so im in need of a jacket now, any suggestions?

Caporegime
I know what you mean. Mind you, I then start to wonder what these guys do for a living (assuming that they aren't sponsored) I get 23 days holiday per year and to then spend it on running rather then going on holiday with the family would soon see me being single again (Assuming I could even afford all the travel) ;)

Well the guy on 200+ marathons (probably 230 by now), is reitred and that is all he does. Race, travel to next race, repeat.

150+ miles a week are pros, or at least semi-elite guys that tend to work part time at a running store so they can run more etc.

But there are lot of dedicated sub-elite that have a career but are either single, or have an incredibly understanding spouse.

But when there is a will there is a way. I know a single Mum with a full time job that does evening classes that still racks up 80-90 mile weeks. Friends, neighbours and family help out babysitting. Also many gyms offer baby sitting services, and I know some people who just pay for a baby sister several times a week to get extra runs in.

Other people cope on very little keep. I know countless dedicated runners and triathletes who get up at 4am to get in 2-3 hour work outs before going to the office.

You can run very early 5am alarm, run at lunch, run at 9pm when kids are asleep. Run commuting as well, leave the car behind and run 12 miles to work, uber back home, etc.

I'm lucky in that i work form home so use the commute time to run. But I also don't really have a lunch break, and add ups some hours on evenings and weekends. that flexibility I love, do a 3 hour run on friday and add 2 hours work Sunday afternoon and an hour Friday night etc.

Associate
Well the guy on 200+ marathons (probably 230 by now), is reitred and that is all he does. Race, travel to next race, repeat.

150+ miles a week are pros, or at least semi-elite guys that tend to work part time at a running store so they can run more etc.

But there are lot of dedicated sub-elite that have a career but are either single, or have an incredibly understanding spouse.

But when there is a will there is a way. I know a single Mum with a full time job that does evening classes that still racks up 80-90 mile weeks. Friends, neighbours and family help out babysitting. Also many gyms offer baby sitting services, and I know some people who just pay for a baby sister several times a week to get extra runs in.

Other people cope on very little keep. I know countless dedicated runners and triathletes who get up at 4am to get in 2-3 hour work outs before going to the office.

You can run very early 5am alarm, run at lunch, run at 9pm when kids are asleep. Run commuting as well, leave the car behind and run 12 miles to work, uber back home, etc.

I'm lucky in that i work form home so use the commute time to run. But I also don't really have a lunch break, and add ups some hours on evenings and weekends. that flexibility I love, do a 3 hour run on friday and add 2 hours work Sunday afternoon and an hour Friday night etc.

Yes,there are ways but ultimately it's how you prioritise your time. Family time is very important so i won't compromise that for running. I will happily give up my lunch hour at work though to get some miles in ☺

Soldato
So I do about 15 odd miles a week and as the nights are now so dark can anyone recommend a chest light so I don’t break my neck and people can see me coming, I don’t like head torches just clothing and a tracking watch so a chest light is my best approach... thanks

Associate
So I do about 15 odd miles a week and as the nights are now so dark can anyone recommend a chest light so I don’t break my neck and people can see me coming, I don’t like head torches just clothing and a tracking watch so a chest light is my best approach... thanks

I can thoroughly recommend the Decathlon KALENJI Run Light. I've used it most days over the last four winters and it's never let me down. Like you, I don't like head torches.

Soldato
I can thoroughly recommend the Decathlon KALENJI Run Light. I've used it most days over the last four winters and it's never let me down. Like you, I don't like head torches.
Looks good, few questions how long does a full charge last, do you charge via USB to a power socket, is it bright enough to see a few metres in front of you...

Many thanks

Associate
I have an older version with a third, longer but lower brightness setting which must last at least 10hrs. It's the only setting I use. The current version quotes 2.5hrs on high and 5hrs on low, with a 70 lumen emergency low battery setting. Yes, it charges via USB. I charge via my phone charger or computer. It's bright and floody, lighting up your route clearly for a good 20m, and less so beyond that. There are also red flashing LEDs on the back.

Caporegime
Yes,there are ways but ultimately it's how you prioritise your time. Family time is very important so i won't compromise that for running. I will happily give up my lunch hour at work though to get some miles in ☺

Totally, which Is why I try to get most of my running done in the week when they are at school. But even then, if I get out the door at 6 am on a Saturday I can be home before they are dressed. I also have no grievances using baby sitting at gyms etc, children thrive with new experiences and different environments, so getting them some time with different supervisors/toys/children is great for them. My oldest has started swimming lessons, and while initially I need to supervise soon she will be on her own and i will sue the time to get in an hour running.

Associate
There seems to be one at around £8 and other other as round 2-3 times that
I can only think the cheap one would be useless?

The cheaper one is not as bright and takes AA batteries. Doesn't have the rear LEDs either. If you don't run a lot, or if there's a fair amount of ambient light, with few cars, then this would probably be ok. Off road, pitch black, high volume, then get the more expensive one.

Associate
Race day for the Marlow 1/2 today, training has been virtually nonexistent this year (300miles YTD) so should be interesting (30th anniversary so didn't want to miss it). Not expecting any PBs by a long margin but I'm thinking 1:45 should be attainable even with the hills. Expect my back around lunch time crying!

Back
Top Bottom