Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Gutted. I had mapped out my first Half Marathon route and set out to complete it today. I got home and realised I'd only run around 11.3 miles... Feeling something was a miss, I completely forgot to run the last section of the route which would have pushed it more towards 14/15 miles.

Guess I'll be doing this again in a few weeks.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
First ever half for me today, 5 laps of Oulton park race circuit, bloody cold quite happy with the time 2:08 was not expecting that at all. Looking at the Garmin fastest managed a PB for the 10k as well under a hr so well chuffed with that.

Soldato
Yeah, it's been really cold recently.

I got out Saturday morning up some hills. Had mapped out a route, but there's a definite disconnect between reality and google maps! The trail i was following ended rather abruptly and turn into marshy fells where you couldn't really run because your foot would get stuck in a divot. I persevered for about a mile, hoping to pick up a new trail before turning back. I was also being blinded by a very low and bright sun!

Finally got back to the original path and debated heading home as felt pretty fed up (my average pace at this point was about 16min/mile). Decided to carry on with an older route i've used with some slight variation though and ended up with around 12.5 miles and 1500ft of climb which mirrors my run in the Lakes quite well (well similar elevation over distance, this was about 2/3rd of the length).

Have also found a local trail running group who meet up a few times a week. Just a case of finding time to meet up with them, it's always 6:30pm and on weeknights so means i'm not getting home till around 8pm and it's a bit unfair on the family if i do that too often.

Associate
Gutted. I had mapped out my first Half Marathon route and set out to complete it today. I got home and realised I'd only run around 11.3 miles... Feeling something was a miss, I completely forgot to run the last section of the route which would have pushed it more towards 14/15 miles.

Guess I'll be doing this again in a few weeks.
Do you use an app to plan routes?

Soldato
Anyone got any suggestions for a waterproof hooded pullover type running jacket?

I might prefer something i pull on that has a 1/2 zip compared to a fully zipped jacket. My favourte so far is by "On" and they're about £300, ideally i want to be closer to £50-£60!

Otherwise i'll accept defeat and just get a normal style one.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OMG my legs are in tatters today, sore knees, sore calfs, sore tops of feet, sore hamstrings.

I am walking like a complete spacka :)

Soldato
First ever half for me today, 5 laps of Oulton park race circuit, bloody cold quite happy with the time 2:08 was not expecting that at all. Looking at the Garmin fastest managed a PB for the 10k as well under a hr so well chuffed with that.

Good work, you didn't pick a fast & flat course! I've done a 10k at Oulton which was two and a bit laps. Damn hard with those short but (very) stiff climbs. I just checked and Clay Hill is a 13% ramp! The "and a bit" was the last KM or so which went over the start / finish line, down the hill (The Avenue) to Cascades and then back up to the start. I was blowing good & proper at the end but it's still my 10k PB!

Associate
Ive been running for a few years now, slowly upping my miles really love the sense of freedom that it gives, never noticed that there are so many runners on this forum, is there a Strava club?

Soldato
Welcome :)

First run with this running club. Did just under 11 miles. They mainly run on Sundays so today was pretty quiet and only 5 of us.

Really enjoyable. If quite slow going due to the amount of muddy fields where you couldn’t really “run”.
Will definitely meet up with them again.

Soldato
I took it on a test run, I'm not sure it's worth what you pay for the info you get... I'll use it for longer of course and see how it goes. I do like the idea of being able to Zwift at the gym. I always wanted to be able to do Zwift on the bikes at the gym...

Soldato
Went out last night and felt like i was about to faint (excuse in for anyone that saw it on Strava!)

Was planning on getting home, getting changed and then running straight away, but my wife wasn't feeling great so i decided i'd make tea first so she could have an early night rather than waiting for me to get back and then start.

First mile was ok, although a struggled on a hill i've previously been nailing and walked part of it. Then started running again and suddenly felt really light headed and dizzy. Ended up turning round and walking home.

I was particularly feeling it before i went out, but usually that goes after 5 minutes and i feel fine. Not sure if it was just a bit too soon after having a biggish meal (Spaghetti Carbonara) and a can of pepsi max which contributed to it.

My aim is to do 15 miles tomorrow. I've mapped out a decent loop. Only concern is i've been doing my longer runs on trails recently and this is all back on road and i wonder how bored i'll get!

Associate
Went out last night and felt like i was about to faint (excuse in for anyone that saw it on Strava!)

Was planning on getting home, getting changed and then running straight away, but my wife wasn't feeling great so i decided i'd make tea first so she could have an early night rather than waiting for me to get back and then start.

First mile was ok, although a struggled on a hill i've previously been nailing and walked part of it. Then started running again and suddenly felt really light headed and dizzy. Ended up turning round and walking home.

I was particularly feeling it before i went out, but usually that goes after 5 minutes and i feel fine. Not sure if it was just a bit too soon after having a biggish meal (Spaghetti Carbonara) and a can of pepsi max which contributed to it.

My aim is to do 15 miles tomorrow. I've mapped out a decent loop. Only concern is i've been doing my longer runs on trails recently and this is all back on road and i wonder how bored i'll get!

Have you been supping water during your working day? it's still very easy to become dehydrated even in the colder months

Back
Top Bottom