Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Still trying to run but its terrible at the moment when my foot problem kicks in I have to keep running and walking at least 4-6 times a mile very frustrating.

The doctor referred me for a neurology appointment but I have to wait 17 weeks not until February which is rather a joke. I was looking at going private somewhere as I really need to get this problem sorted with the London half marathon coming up end of March.

Its just very 50/50 now if I go out for a run and my foot dosnt flop and go over on its side fortunately I can feel it about. On the plus side that Patagonia coat recommended here was pretty good out in the rain today it was coming down very hard.

Soldato
Cheers

Last run of the year for me today. At least I assume it will be as I’m boozing the next 3 nights!

715 miles for the year which is alright. Hoping to build on that next year and keep increasing my mileage and aim for more longer 10-15 mile runs.

what’re people’s plans for 2020? I’ve found a love of trail running so want to get off road a lot more. Especially in summer. Will be utilizing a trail running group I’ve recently found.

Race wise I have an 18 mile trail run in the Lakes in February and will be aiming to book a couple others too.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Derby 10k in May i think a couple of tri sprints before the main focus of the year Ironman 70.3 in June.

Not looking forward to the first couple of weeks of getting back into it at all :)

Associate
Well.. I finally got through W1 of C25K without injury. Let's see if I can keep uninjured.

On that note, is there any stretching/off day routines I should be doing?

Soldato
@MM-Seat it's generally good to stretch after a run, it can help muscles so they will be ready to go again sooner. But listen to your body, if you feel like rest is a good idea, then rest. I can't give you ant routines as I've never followed any or done C25K.

If you haven't already, join the Strava running group, you'll get a lot of motivation anfd kudos.

I kicked 2020 off with a Parkrun this morning, my 10th, and whatever you do, do not drink a cup of milk before you go out running. As soon as I stopped I was hit by stomach pain when I finished but I'm still hoping for a good time.

Associate
We are still going through the last of the Christmas do's here. Youngest is in hospital tomorrow for an op and so current plan is to not start with things until Sunday/Monday at the moment.

General plan for this year is to recover fitness, lose some weight in the process and then to increase distance over time and see how it goes. Would like to be able to just run without anything stupid going wrong!

Also want to service shock on full suspension bike and then ride more than last year.

Last years totals were

208Km Running
163Km Cycling
155Km Walking

Associate
Ran my 1st DIY marthon on the new years day... More than a little sore today, I'll be humping the foam roller till the weekend then it will be a short slow recovery run

Caporegime
Well.. I finally got through W1 of C25K without injury. Let's see if I can keep uninjured.

On that note, is there any stretching/off day routines I should be doing?

Stretching is massively over rated and typically not conducted properly.
For most running there is no need to stretch, just start and end the runs slow so muscles warm up and at the end relax and can burn off any lactate.

My only exception is when doing dome speed work like intervals where i am putting my legs under s much higher stress and pushing ligaments/tendons closer to their limits. I do a few miles easy run, then do a warm up routine that includes dynamic stretching. raise knees to chest, kick heals back to buttocks, hold on to lamp post and swing legs, some over emphasized strides. This is mostly about preparing your legs to do a little extra hard work which you normally dont do in regular running. After a rub there is really no benefit in stretching.

Stretching is complex because there are a lot of traditions in sports & exercise but these dont have any scientific basis. and for the most part, science dhows these stretching regimes are counter productive.
As a runner, you will naturally develop stiffer legs, mostly from stiffer Achilles tendons. This is an important natural adaption that increases performance and reduces injury risk. Static stretching that increases flexibility can increase injury risk.

the only caveat is at times muscles can become overly tight due to accumulated training stress. This needs monitoring and if it doesn't fade with reduced training load then some forms of dynamic stretching can help, but mostly i find massaging the effected muscles and especially foam rolling is useful. When muscles are very tight then they also tighten tendons and then that can create issues such as piriformis syndrome or plantar fascitis.

At a high level, tendons and ligaments should be tight and you shouldn't purposely loosen them, certainly not with static stretching. The exceptions being after a bad accident/surgery etc where you suffered ligament damage and the ligament is unusually short or weak. You will need professional physio therapist work.
with muscles, tightness comes from your muscles repair after a hard workout such as a long run or intervals, this is DOMS. This will fade away naturally and early intervention will likely interupt your bodied natural repair process. You can help this process with a good diet, consuming carbs soon after the run, plenty of sleep. An active recovery would be a nice walk or easy cycle.

Soldato
Yeah, i don't do too much stretching, albeit i'm at a much lower level to you! I tend to just do some light glutes/quad stretches as a few physios have commented on knee/back back pain being linked to those being overly tight.

Just trying to get muscles warmed up first with leg swings etc seems to do the trick and then try to run earlier in the day to allow lots of time/movement throughout the day.

Although the wife bought me one of these for christmas and i've found it much better at tackling specific areas that a foam roller/tennis ball https://www.thebodyshop.com/en-gb/f...EcYaNLI6SIfHD0cmEwhoCg4cQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

@D.P. Do you take any kind of supplements to aid recovery? I've been using some of the SIS Rego powder recently following longer runs, but not sure i'm overly noticing much difference. It's fairly cheap though to only use 4-5 times a month.

Last edited:
Caporegime
@D.P. Do you take any kind of supplements to aid recovery? I've been using some of the SIS Rego powder recently following longer runs, but not sure i'm overly noticing much difference. It's fairly cheap though to only use 4-5 times a month.

No, i i ju try to hydrate and eat soon afterwards. If it was a long run or work out in the summer and i sweated a load ill mix up some sports drink to get electrolytes. You can buy an electrolyte mixe from myprotein dirt cheap that includes several salts, thereby skipping any sugars but really the extra glocose helps muscle repair.

Back
Top Bottom