Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Joined. Yesterday morning I decided to buy a vest top from them, almost as something to mark my efforts of the last year and running specifically over this winter (I've never run before). £23 is quite expensive, but what the hey. An hour later I get an email saying congrats for qualifying, haveh £10 off an order over £15. Damnit!!! I emailed the shop and they cancelled the order within about a minute! So, I've ordered again at only £13. Not too bad now I guess.
Yep, i might create us an OCUK team actually (currently bored in work)

It's typical Vitality of terrible development though. It was meant to start yesterday but it's pulling in a run from Wednesday. But only the morning one, if you're going to pull in runs from the wrong day, at least pull in both of that days runs!

EDIT - Done

https://app.runningworldcup.com/teams/invite/i5pp6q?ref=8ocsre

Joined,

Soldato
Is it normal to feel slower in new shoes? In my previous shoes (Brooks Launch 4), I'd managed to get my min/mile down to around 9 or slightly over for my usual hilly runs around my area.

Ive just got back from my first in about 9 days and this was my second run using my new Brooks Ghost 12's. But I've felt like I'm not running as fast as I was. The first 2 runs in these shoes and I've ended up around the 10 min/mile.

Soldato
Is it normal to feel slower in new shoes? In my previous shoes (Brooks Launch 4), I'd managed to get my min/mile down to around 9 or slightly over for my usual hilly runs around my area.

Ive just got back from my first in about 9 days and this was my second run using my new Brooks Ghost 12's. But I've felt like I'm not running as fast as I was. The first 2 runs in these shoes and I've ended up around the 10 min/mile.

I recall noticing that when i went from my Asics GT2000 to my Brooks Ghosts

Although as per my post above, i now seem to have slower again moving from Brooks Ghosts to Brookes Glycerin!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I think i need to get some wet spring/autum protection for running looking outside atm. I do not want to spend the earth as nothing will outmatch my sweat rate what do you folk normally use ?

Soldato
The Kalenji stuff from Decathlon is meant to be decent for the money, or i have a few Karrimor tops (mainly the long sleeve 1/4 zip ones)

As a jacket i've got this https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15905975/rab-vital-windshell-jacket-15905975. The fit seems nice and tight to avoid turning you into a sail and no hood flapping around. Not overly waterproof though, just "windproof".

Maybe also look at "higher state", think they're reasonably priced.

I'm less of a girl though, so last night i was out in shorts and a long sleeve top. Oh and a cap, first time i've worn one but it was actually great at keeping rain out of my face.

Soldato
So, i've decided that as a good way of training for that Pendle ultra, i've decided to sign up for.......... an even tougher race :/

Its nice and local for me and covers a few areas i run ofter. It's also in October so hopefully much nicer weather than February.

https://www.racespace.com/gb/howler-events/3-towers-ultra-2020

I've also never had to sign a waiver for a race before!

LlziRS2.png

Soldato
Christ, i think i've spent my months wages on events this month, mainly just signing up for a few cheap events throughout the summer in the £10-£25 range aiming around 20 miles.

However this one is a cracking idea.

https://etchrock.com/challenge/info/howler-virtual-challenge

It's a "virtual" run, where you get sent 10 gpx routes to run all over the North West on trails. You then upload proof of the run and can run at your own pace/whenever you want. There's a small community with people sharing their thoughts on routes etc.

Could be one for you @Ian_Eb as long as you don't mind a little travel. Would keep you interested in running throughout the year and it's only 10k distances.

Also, question for you @D.P. If i was aiming for 6 runs/week at the moment. Would you suggest 6 days with 1 rest day, or 5 days running with one double day and 2rest days? I'm erring towards the latter. But always good to get your viewpoint.

Associate
That's a nifty idea :) Not quite up to running in mud and stuff just yet, so will keep it in mind.

I keep thinking 'ooh, running times' if I have to work from home, then remember that we might be meant to stay indoors. Thing the Mrs has a list of DIY jobs lined up if we are forced into isolation :(

Soldato
Yeah, some are a bit of a trek away for me, but at most i think it's a little over an hours drive.

I'm hoping for self isolation too! Running in the day is much nicer, especially with the weather being reasonable at the moment.

BTW we're heading to Mottram Hall for the weekend at the end of April (hopefully!), any suggestions for nice routes around there?

Caporegime
Christ, i think i've spent my months wages on events this month, mainly just signing up for a few cheap events throughout the summer in the £10-£25 range aiming around 20 miles.

However this one is a cracking idea.

https://etchrock.com/challenge/info/howler-virtual-challenge

It's a "virtual" run, where you get sent 10 gpx routes to run all over the North West on trails. You then upload proof of the run and can run at your own pace/whenever you want. There's a small community with people sharing their thoughts on routes etc.

Could be one for you @Ian_Eb as long as you don't mind a little travel. Would keep you interested in running throughout the year and it's only 10k distances.

Also, question for you @D.P. If i was aiming for 6 runs/week at the moment. Would you suggest 6 days with 1 rest day, or 5 days running with one double day and 2rest days? I'm erring towards the latter. But always good to get your viewpoint.

In general, 6 days running and 1 rest day is the best way to go but if your schedule makes 5 days with a double easier then that is fine. With 2 rest days k would to have them separated, with 1 after the doubled

Soldato
In general, 6 days running and 1 rest day is the best way to go but if your schedule makes 5 days with a double easier then that is fine. With 2 rest days k would to have them separated, with 1 after the doubled

Cheers, at the moment it probably doesn't matter as much as i'm hovering around the 30-35 miles/week mark. But as that increases i didn't know if one way or the other would be better.

The plan a the moment is roughly

Sunday LR - 10-15
Monday Rest
Tuesday 5/6
Wednesday 5/6
Thursday 2 x 5/6
Friday Rest
Saturday 5/6

I'm not overly strict though, so as mentioned, Monday i ended up doing 7.5 and then 4 on Tuesday. Just trying to listen to the body for the most part.

The benefit of this is that i seem to be drinking a lot less, particularly at weekends as i don't want to wake up feeling crappy and struggling. Long may that continue!

Caporegime
That looks like a perfect schedule.
you should plan a slow build with each week being slightly more than the week before for about 3 consecutive weeks. Then the 4th week cut right back down before building again (perhaps from where you were the 2nd week). After a few cycled like this you need to spend longer at each new weekly volume and have a slower build. maintain the recovery week.

the 4weeks is not strict. Of you feel excess fatigue or minor niggles at joints do a recovery week. you can plan around vacations , work trips, weddings etc. so it might make sense to build for 4 weeks before s recovery, but obviously don't push volume do much on that 4th week.
Cvutting volume from the long run will have the biggest impact in reducing running stress. i also skip or greatly reduce any speed work, but in general you shouldn't do speed work (intervals) when building volume, in fact it makes sense to reduce volume once you start adding significant speed work.

Associate
That looks like a perfect schedule.
you should plan a slow build with each week being slightly more than the week before for about 3 consecutive weeks. Then the 4th week cut right back down before building again (perhaps from where you were the 2nd week). After a few cycled like this you need to spend longer at each new weekly volume and have a slower build. maintain the recovery week.

the 4weeks is not strict. Of you feel excess fatigue or minor niggles at joints do a recovery week. you can plan around vacations , work trips, weddings etc. so it might make sense to build for 4 weeks before s recovery, but obviously don't push volume do much on that 4th week.
Cvutting volume from the long run will have the biggest impact in reducing running stress. i also skip or greatly reduce any speed work, but in general you shouldn't do speed work (intervals) when building volume, in fact it makes sense to reduce volume once you start adding significant speed work.

What size increase in volume would you recommend? Take Marvt74 example above:

Week 1 - 30 miles
Week 2 - 31 miles
Week 3 - 32 miles
Week 4 - 31 miles etc

Or more additional volume?

Caporegime
10% is the most quoted figure but it has no real scientific basis. It also is a little too small for low volume runners but too vig at the top end.

I prefer the rule that you can add 1mi on each run, but you need to have proper recovery weeks. There is an issue if you say run 7 days a week st 20miles total (so really short runs) then a jump to 27 is huge.

at 30mpw over 5 runs, i would do something like:
30, 35, 38, 30
35, 38, 41, 32
38,42, 47, 35
40,45,50, 38 // reduction in gain

You could the repeat 42-48mpw every week for 3weeks before the recovery week, so no need for s build.

That is a build over 12 weeks, in blocks of 4 weeks with every 4th dropping. Towards the end you don't push quite as much. At this stage you probably want to be this about tuning for a race, which might mean reducing volume a little to allow bugger long runs and harder work outs.

If you keep trying to build volume then you need to pay attention to injuries.

In all of this there are no hard guidelines so if you feel amazing with the new weekly volume you can push at a higher rate. if you feel excess fatigue then take a recovery week and proceed with smaller weekly gains

also is you miss runs due to sickness or work dont don and make up for them.

Associate
I am waiting on someone at our place making that call. Mrs has informed me that we aren't going to be going on holiday as she doesn't want to have movements restricted when we get there. Trouble is that the advice hasn't yet changed to "Do not go" so she is basically binning off £3k if things don't change! (I suspect they will in the end though)

Back
Top Bottom