Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
It's drinks mainly for me, especially in current heat. I hate carrying a water bottle)

That's where the running belts can be beneficial on medium/long runs (10-20 miles), they don't bounce around much but give space for a water bottle to keep hands loose.

Associate
Thanks for the ideas folks. I'm thinking it's only going to be on the 10+ mile trips in the heat, as things cool in the autumn I'd probably not need it.

I had/have a running belt but I wasn't overly happy with it just as if you add your phone it sticks in a little too much, and getting bottles back in was fiddly. So I figured a backback would be fine, I don't see myself needing more than 2l. My belt I think I had 2 700ml bottles and even on a 16 miles I wouldn't often finish them.

Good shout on the decathlon vest, like the look of them just need to think if I want their 5l or 10l version. Both appear to be the same 1l bladder so it's about weight/utility more than anything I guess.

Soldato
Yeah. I think they say 500ml per hour. But I was out on Saturday for around 3.5hrs and still had about 300ml in my litre bladder.

Id say the 5L one was probably ideal. Less bulk for bouncing.

Just back from my second run in these New balance trainers. I’m so happy with them. Been pretty fast (for me) in them without feeling like I’m pushing myself much.

I always said when I got my first pair of Brooks (Ghost 12) I thought they felt slow compared to my old trainers and then when I got my second pair (Glycerin 17) I was around the same pace but often felt faster in my trail shoes.

I always thought it was nonsense when people talk about “fast” trainers but this definitely seems to conform to that.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Trail shoes are less cushioned aren't they? You'll lose some energy to cushioning, but then I guess you'll get more endurance from more cushioning.

I've changed to some Nike Free Rn 3.0 after doing nearly 1000 miles in my Free Rn 2018... good flexible daily drivers but quite a hard sole. I just prefer letting my feet feel and move as much as possible but that's all I've known since I started. I can run 10 miles in them no problem but probably not a good idea doing longer than a half.

When my Brooks Hyperion for are done for I'm going to try a more cushioned shoe for road races but stick to my usual for training. Should feel like cheating, at least that's my theory.

@Marvt74 That Decathlon vest looks great, I already have a bladder. Does it secure a phone well on the front for easy access? - Do you think the 3 towers will still go-ahead in October? £42, erk!

Soldato
Depends on the phone I guess. I have an IPhone 8 and it (just) fits. If you have anything bigger then I’d say it would be a struggle.

All comments so far seem to be quite hopeful that it’ll go ahead. It’s a good few months away. Plus it’s a cracking route!

Soldato
I've never considered a vest before but with the heat it seems like it might be a worthy purchase. I never take water with me (who ever carried a bottle!?) but then I've only recently started to up my distances so only now is hydration becoming a factor.

I'm also loving my garmin 645 watch. Having my silly big phone strapped to my arm for music and GPS always felt silly. It does just fine for rides on the bike too.

Soldato
My running is definitely suffering with me now doing long hikes/climbs in Lake District every week, calves just feel murdered!

Yesterday was pretty horrible too, deceptively hot and very humid and I need to figure out a good way to fit my running training with almost weekly trips to Lake District for the 10 mile event in September.

Associate
As my vest wont arrive till tomorrow I dug out my old belt and mini bottles and kinda wished I didn't! Despite me leak testing them before going out, one bottle pretty much drained itself within 1/2 a mile into my shorts (black thankfully otherwise it'd look like I'd p***** myself!). They are only 200ml bottles so wasn't the worst but also not helpful. I am glad I took it though so I had my phone as got a little lost on my route, I'd not been along part of it for a couple years and some of the fields and paths looked considerably different than my memory

That said, the little liquid I did have was useful after some some of todays climbing. Just short of 15miles with 1300ft of climbing (split in about 4 separate ascents). Almost back to my fitness levels from about 3 years back so feeling pretty good about it.

Soldato
Sounds like a good run. I did a fairly mammoth paddle on Saturday (3:30hrs and 11 miles) on my SUP on Saturday so haven't really ran since Thursday, also think i've got a little bug as not been feeling great the last week or so.

Have signed up for a Virtual Run which kicks off next Monday. Should be a challenge but it's a fairly interesting fun concept. There's 50 entries. You basically pick a distance (5k, 10k or HM. I went middle of the road with a 10k). Then you run that every day for 5 days. On the 5th day they do a raffle draw and pick out some bib numbers. If you're picked then you're out.

If you remain in then 0.5k is added each day. You can take part in a coin toss if you want to avoid this, but the risk is you could end up adding 1k per day instead of only 0.5k. They then continue to do a raffle draw eliminating people until there's only one person left.

At most i think it takes 15 days which would be fairly tough going. I quite like that it completely luck based.

Associate
I also signed up for a virtual run local to me. They publish the route on Ride with GPS and then I have until the 28th to go and run it. Only 10k, but it looks like there are more paths and canal towpaths than I would normally use. Will see how it goes :)

At least I get a medal for finishing!

Soldato
I like that. At least they've specified a route. It's similar to a Howler one i signed up for which is 10 routes at 10(ish)k distance and you get a medal for running them all.

I've seen some where there has been a race that's been cancelled and they created a virtual run which is just run 10k anywhere. It feels a bit of a waste.

Right i'm off out now, still not feeling great and it's pretty hot so i imagine it'll be unpleasant!

Associate
Thats why I was out at 5:55am this morning. It was already warm even then.

Managed to get down to 1:01:38 or something like that. Given that I have only got under the hour once before on this route, I was fairly happy with it :)

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I can only go out when the toddler is napping while his mum works downstairs, which usually peak heat part of the day. Oh well, good training I guess.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Wish I could say the same, 6 miles and I was really struggling up Weets. Not my finest run, for the first time since the month I started I had to stop and walk a bit. Far too hot :(

Associate
@Marvt74 that is a fantastic concept, that and the talks of virtual races now has me off looking to see what's available as I'd like to have a target to include in my training cycle.

To keep on top of the weather I grabbed a new UA vest top, super light weight, sides and back pretty vented and low cut arms. Not my usual style for sure but I cared very little when the wind was side on!

Soldato
I'm much too fat for a vest. I use the approach that if you're a man and you show sideboob then it's not for you :p

There are some really good inventive Virtual runs, i think my issue with others is they're a bit rubbish. Don't create a virtual race and just get people to go and run any old 10k route near their house and give them a medal for it. At least put some thought in to make it interesting.

I also like some of the long distance ones which span a few weeks/months. Very few people are getting a Lakeland 100 medal in normal life, but the virtual one is achievable (although still very difficult).

As you say it keeps your training interesting.

Soldato
I'm much too fat for a vest. I use the approach that if you're a man and you show sideboob then it's not for you :p

There are some really good inventive Virtual runs, i think my issue with others is they're a bit rubbish. Don't create a virtual race and just get people to go and run any old 10k route near their house and give them a medal for it. At least put some thought in to make it interesting.

I also like some of the long distance ones which span a few weeks/months. Very few people are getting a Lakeland 100 medal in normal life, but the virtual one is achievable (although still very difficult).

As you say it keeps your training interesting.
What are you using for the virtual runs?

Back
Top Bottom