Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
I got completely and utterly soaked to the bone...was just light rain and the predictions didn't look any better any other time of the day so went out. Bout 30 mins in and light went to heavy to roads turning to rivers! That said, I do love running in the rain if the temps 20+ as you don't freeze and compared to hot and humid days it feels so much easier.

Soldato
Had me first ever crash and burn today when running clipped a curb with my trailing foot and was down before I know it hard on my elbow and slid down the pavement grazing my elbow with blood pouring.

Usually Im pretty good at recovering from a trip but today luck wasnt on my side so now bandaged and plastered up.

Associate
Ouch sounds nasty hope you're ok. I've caught a root before which just sent me into a roll but no real injury. In my mind, it was very much a perfect ninja roll but I'm sure passers by thought otherwise!

Review of the Evadict 5l water vest, I like it! Very light weight even with 1L of water in the bladder and more comfortable than the belt I used before. My iphone just fits in the front right pocket so was easy access if needed. The water/feed tube works great, twist on/off and when on it's still a bite to release. I'm 6"2, and was worried with it being a one size fits all but it fits pretty good. A little high perhaps but didn't need to fully slacken off the clasps, and there was little/no flapping around at all and even wearing a vest top under it I had no signs of rubbing on my shoulders or neck.

I suspect much hotter than today and it might trap a little too much heat on the front, but today was about 21c and cloudy and not an issue at all.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Proper spangled after today's effort Lakesman in Lockdown, the DOMS tomorrow are going to be murder. Slowest half i have ever done (2:27) and the last 3k was torture, felt i had the energy but nothing in the legs.

Associate
With London dithering about going ahead in October I've started slightly ramping up the training on the remote chance it goes ahead...

First longer run in about 3 months today and kept it easy. Felt ok. Not really looking forward to 20 milers in August.

Soldato
Proper spangled after today's effort Lakesman in Lockdown, the DOMS tomorrow are going to be murder. Slowest half i have ever done (2:27) and the last 3k was torture, felt i had the energy but nothing in the legs.

Sounds familiar!
I did a virtual 70.3 yesterday as part of the Ironman series. The half marathon was hell! I've never wanted a run to end as much as yesterday. The last 5k was brutal, legs properly screaming. Somehow managed my second best time 1.26 something.

DOMS is the theme of the day today though!

Soldato
That’s a great time for a half!

My virtual challenge started today. 10k a day until I’m drawn out which is done at random. Maximum of 15 days.

They say you can do a mix of run/walk and I took the dog out at the beach and did 4 miles.
Then went to top it up to 10k distance and decided it felt like cheating so just did the full 10k run. Stull feeling rough from Saturday nights drink so hopefully this clears me out a bit!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
That’s a great time for a half!

My virtual challenge started today. 10k a day until I’m drawn out which is done at random. Maximum of 15 days.

They say you can do a mix of run/walk and I took the dog out at the beach and did 4 miles.
Then went to top it up to 10k distance and decided it felt like cheating so just did the full 10k run. Stull feeling rough from Saturday nights drink so hopefully this clears me out a bit!

It was my first middle distance TRI effort, i can bash a half out normally in 2 hrs and purposefully picked the flattest bike and run course :) So was a little disappointed with 2.5 hrs tbh. Still it should be better next year as i hit the 50-55 age group so will shoot up the rankings :)

Thinking about trying for the GB age grouper team, mainly as I can get the time off for it free from work as its representing your country hahaha :) Trying to find the info for that is not straight forward. I am going to be the Eddie Edwards of the tri-Athlon world.

Soldato
It was my first middle distance TRI effort, i can bash a half out normally in 2 hrs and purposefully picked the flattest bike and run course :) So was a little disappointed with 2.5 hrs tbh. Still it should be better next year as i hit the 50-55 age group so will shoot up the rankings :)

Thinking about trying for the GB age grouper team, mainly as I can get the time off for it free from work as its representing your country hahaha :) Trying to find the info for that is not straight forward. I am going to be the Eddie Edwards of the tri-Athlon world.

Sorry i was more meaning @Shadowness who said he got his done in 1:26 :p

Still, you're not bad for an old git. You're fitter than me!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
^nice one!

Did you do the Ironman VR series @SPG ?

No, i was meant to do Stafford 70.3 and was feeling a bit miffed as it got cancelled as was working towards it for the past 15months from stepping up from Sprints and the odd Olympic. The TRI club i am with wanted to support the people who run the Lakesman as they are small outfit. Was only £20 to enter and get a free T-shirt as i wanted something to remember it by as it was my first one. Another level of respect to those who actually race the full distance.

Contemplating doing Bolton next year, but its not going to be quick, At least it will be supported i may have suffered from not taking any water with me on the run only 5 SIS gels. Bit stupid really i should no better.

Soldato
No, i was meant to do Stafford 70.3 and was feeling a bit miffed as it got cancelled as was working towards it for the past 15months from stepping up from Sprints and the odd Olympic. The TRI club i am with wanted to support the people who run the Lakesman as they are small outfit. Was only £20 to enter and get a free T-shirt as i wanted something to remember it by as it was my first one. Another level of respect to those who actually race the full distance.

Contemplating doing Bolton next year, but its not going to be quick, At least it will be supported i may have suffered from not taking any water with me on the run only 5 SIS gels. Bit stupid really i should no better.

Yeah, Bolton is well supported. A guy i work with did it last year. His main complaint was the change of route for the bike section, there was very little flat, it was either steep incline or steep decline. Not really any point to recover and take on fuel.

What was disappointing was he then went onto finish the marathon part about 20 minutes quicker than i'd done the Manchester marathon :( Think his end time was around 14hrs

Day 3 of my virtual run, it's getting warm now and i took a few walking breaks. My legs don't seem to be recovering well at all which isn't ideal in these early days. I think the fact i was hungover on Day 1, means my body has always been on catchup mode. I got out early today to try and beat the heat and this is my plan now. Consistent running times to get a full 24hrs (ish) recovery between runs, rather than 8pm one day and then 7am the next.

It's weird, as i did a 22 mile run the other week and generally felt ok, which suggests my fitness is better than it has been for a while, but on the flip side, i used to run 5 miles for 4 days in a row and then have a couple of long runs around 10 miles over the other 3 days of the week and barely felt tired. Shows how the lack of consistency recently has hit me.

Associate
Went out on Monday and got myself a blister in the 500M walk to where I was starting. Ran the same route the night before and all was ok. Also done the same walk numerous times with no issue and no hint of anything whilst running for over 6 months.

Weird how this stuff happens. Ended up just walking home and then dealing with the blister instead. Was home for 06:05!

Associate
I'm not a morning person in the slightest, but this week has been 6am alarm calls to get my runs in before the heat and aside from the first 1-2 miles not really knowing what I'm doing or where I'm going it's actually been pretty good and very grateful for the cool breeze.

Today felt fairly slow to get going and tight joints but was needing some cruise intervals and as soon as I put some pace in that all fell away. Was on a segment I've tried to push hard before on and but just stuck to my "comfortable" pace and managed a new PB which was great and now I wonder what I could do if I pushed it flat out.

All that said, so looking forward to my "rest" week next week as been pushing it up the last 5 weeks now from 29 miles to 42 last week and now using the Strava marathon plan. Used their 1/2 plans before and had good results so figured why not push the boat out.

Back
Top Bottom