Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
Took a week off due to food coma. Out today and boy were my ankles tight for the first half mile or so...With the move to home working, and mini lockdowns I clearly do not move enough in a day unless I go for a run based on how quickly that happened as well as a couple of tight muscles afterwards.

Soldato
Trouble with me doing short 3km runs around the house at the moment is that the body only seems to warm up at around 15 minute mark in this weather by which point I'm done.

Soldato
I do have one, but the particular bad one is not in a spot I can get a foam roller without causing more pain than it'd solve!

I have a variety of foam roller, spikey balls and one of those massage guns.

They're all in a drawer whilst i complain about tight muscles :p

Trouble with me doing short 3km runs around the house at the moment is that the body only seems to warm up at around 15 minute mark in this weather by which point I'm done.

How come you're only doing short 3km runs? There's no limit on exercise time at the moment i don't think. Or are there other causes?

Soldato
Also wondering what the impact will be on my Pendle Hill Ultra next month given the change in lockdown rules. I'm preparing myself for a cancellation i think. Just need to try and not let motivation drop off a cliff when it does like i did when the Howler Ultra was cancelled last year.

Soldato
Hoping my event in September will go ahead this year, should be plenty of time for vaccinations to catch up.

That and give me motivation to start training properly instead of just doing my runs "because it's good for me".

Used to be more about weights, but the way things are at the moment, think I want to make this year more about endurance which makes more sense anyway with me enjoying my hiking.

Soldato
And confirmation that it’s cancelled. I don’t think any other outcome was possible given the recent announcements but still disappointing.

Theyve reschedule it for early April which is annoying as I have another event book in then that’s also around 45 miles so annoying that they clash. If they were even 2 weeks apart it would’ve been doable given I’m not overly racey, but I think they’re the same weekend. May have to see what happens and just make a choice.

Soldato
You've seen how slow i am, i'll struggle to even make one cut-off!

The one that was always in April was more of a guided run rather than a proper race event and there's a long waiting list, so shouldn't have any issues cancelling that as it's just a small local group.

Still feel like i'm recovering from Saturdays run, shows the difference if i push myself a little more than my normal runs, although it could also be due to some "easy recovery" runs being Monday/Tuesday when it's been icy and so i was holding myself more tensely.

Associate
How is everyones new year plans going?

Mine...

Monday: panic desk and office construction
Tuesday: Random family related issues
Wednesday: Different random family issues
Thursday: Treadmill now buried in boxes related to Wed

It looks like the gods are conspiring against me :-/

Soldato
That's what the great outdoors are for! Plus you get a nice bit of headspace and fresh air.

With working from home, i think i'd hate not running outside as it's my old fresh air and does me a lot of good. Snowed a little earlier but that seems to have stopped quickly fortunately so hasn't made things any worse. I just have to pick my routes and avoid certain areas still.

Was meant to be doing a Virtual run on Saturday with a mate. My only concern is it's around 15 miles from me (local for him), and i'm not sure whether to risk the travel.

Soldato
Yeah it's a little brutal at the moment weather wise, but I would still take outside over treadmill any time.

It's just a mental thing of running nowhere for me, always hated the things.

Associate
Outside is my preference, but the pavements/roads were mega slippy these last few days. Cheshire Easy council have this moneysaving policy of not gritting non-main roads at the moment and that isnt helping :-/

Back
Top Bottom