Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Yeah I just wear those Under Armour Blitzing caps to keep the sweat at bay and cold not an issue unless I'm exposed to wind. Do have some thin Nike gloves from years ago which are enough to take the bite out the cold but never get too hot.

Also wouldn't overthink winter gear much to start with, any one of those "compression" leggings and long sleeve tops will do and just I just put usual shorts and long sleeve t-shirt on top.

Soldato
I ended up getting myself some stuff from Decathlon, including some tights and some long sleeve tops. Now it's just a waiting game.

Covid halted my weight loss progress and I'm determined to get back on track, even if it's nearly a year later.

Soldato
So suppose to reflect on my running year...not much to reflect on since I just started running in 2020 :D

Really need to see what I can do with it and where I can take it in 2021 though as getting pretty boring just blodding along last few months.

Soldato
Hi all

I got into running earlier this year when gyms were closed, and I'd like to get back into it.

The blocker for me at the moment is weather - I'd like to learn about what to wear outside.

Would anyone be able to point me towards perhaps a standard winter running setup? I.e. do I need running tights or shorts? Long sleeve shirt? Absolutely clueless :)

I was out today in shorts and it was snowing and icy underfoot.

My winter kit is basically the same as summer, plus long sleeve top and hat & gloves. The hat and gloves usually come off after first few km's.
For Christmas I added a lightweight breathable waterproof, so I don't have excuses when it's raining.

In general I would say you don't really need to have anything special for a winter run though, assuming you're not heading up hills. Start with enough to keep you warm during first 10-15 minutes and then you'll probably find you start to take layers off.

Soldato
Can anyone assist me in some beginners trail running shoes? I don't run, but do bike. Mainly MTB during the warmer dryer months and road In the winter. I also play football once a week and coach U8's, so am not unfit, just a bit podgy at the moment. Loads of good trails where I live and going for a quick run during my work from home lunch breaks is appealing to me for its simplicity. Where do I even begin?

Are the trails mostly on the flat, or is it quite hilly?

If its mostly flat and you've already got some half decent trainers, I'd start with those and see how you go. The main thing you'll probably find you need in the wet is better tread/grip.

I really rate my Inov8 Mudclaws for handling the worst mud/hills in winter, but if I'm on low level trails then I'll alternate between something with a more moderate tread and my road running shoes (when it's drier).

Soldato
Are the trails mostly on the flat, or is it quite hilly?

If its mostly flat and you've already got some half decent trainers, I'd start with those and see how you go. The main thing you'll probably find you need in the wet is better tread/grip.

I really rate my Inov8 Mudclaws for handling the worst mud/hills in winter, but if I'm on low level trails then I'll alternate between something with a more moderate tread and my road running shoes (when it's drier).

Very hilly, I live by the Thames on the Oxfordshire / Berkshire border and it's steep hills on both sides.

Will see how I go and report back. Cheers for the reply. :)

Soldato
Order another pair and win?

is there a way to auto lap based on a Strava segment with garmin?

There’s a local field which I’ve recorded as a segment. My plan for tomorrow is 50 laps but would be nice for it to auto lap for timing rather than remembering to manually press the button.

Not exactly a big deal if not, but it’d be nice.

Associate
I don't think it's possible, but even if it was, I don't think the GPS would be accurate enough to consistently lap between 2 points. Better off doing it manually.

Soldato
Yeah. Couldn’t find a way. Was actually quite good at focusing on hitting the lap button and only messed up once when I pressed the wrong button and paused the run entirely.

Ended up with a half marathon PB and beat my old record by about 6 minutes at 1:56.46.

Soldato
Wow. My legs feel ropey today. I don’t remember a time they were like this after a run.

All I can think is that because it was laps and my pace was very consistent with an even stride length and it’s a repetitive thing as usually I’ll have periods where I’m faster/slower on hills and adjusting to avoid rocks/mud on uneven ground.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Christmas podge is on me, 2hr run and not even 21k :)

To be fair I was keeping it mid Zone 2 apart from the uphill bits which I really should walk up. But something in me just says keep going and it takes me a extra 3 mins to recover properly :)

Associate
Starting back on something tonight. Most probably the treadmill initially, as the roads are lethal round here at the moment. Daughter and I both went over twice on the 100 yard walk to school this morning!

Back
Top Bottom