Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
It’s a weird one. It just seems to hit at weird times. On Thursday I ended up having 2 pieces as toast with some eggs and had no worsening affects.

Maybe it was just a perfect storm of white bread, sausage and bacon! It’s still not quite “normal” today but good enough that I’ve had about 4 beers and 3/4 bottle of red wine since I got home earlier!

Odd run today. It was a repeat of a local route I did back in July. Today was ~ 1 min/mile faster which suggests good improvement, but it also had awful muddy conditions where I was sinking to my ankles in a lot of places. I also got some awful pain in my right hamstring. On the flip side, back in June it was after work and around 20C minimum so that would’ve been draining.

These off road shoes are awful in mud vs my old Saucony Peregrines. There were times when the lugs got filled with mud and even on flattish grassy ground I was sliding a lot. It’s one of the first runs in ages which has been mostly low level muddy fields and it was all a big rubbish. Bring on Spain in a few years and nice solid ground!

The hamstring thing is annoying. It’s been tight all day since the run and never really loosened off. I’m hoping it’s nothing but it feels a bit like my regular cycle of a good few months of running and then suddenly an issue that ruins the progress. I’m really hoping it’s not that.

hux

hux

Soldato
Perhaps switch to wholegrain.
Stuffed myself with McDonald's yesterday, and I'm feeling decidedly empty
yet looking leaner for it, hmm odd guess I needed it.

Reason is my first event a 10k is this morning, figured I'd get one event in as a trial.
So I can sort out any issues and such.
I think I'll be lucky with the weather, as radar says it clears 10 minutes before the start.
But I'll bring the shakedry just in case.

I'm tied between takumi or rc elite 2. Might bring the adios 6 if the trails are muddy.

Edit - stomach is rumbling, timed that right.

hux

hux

Soldato
Brilliant run, bit short of 10k but managed 49 odd which is good, as the first 2k is a right hard slog uphill.
Hit pb's all round, but my insoles tried making a bid for freedom, glue doesn't cut it.
Powered by McDonald's who knew :D

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/qHO3CjSiqnb

hux

hux

Soldato
Yeah was a good one, the watch allowed me to guage my max level right to the end.
I did start to falter towards the end, but that's to be expected.
Did a mile in 6.41 which blew me away.

Guess I'm so used to running on the trails, I've never given it max effort until today.

Last edited:
Associate
Great times well done!

I'm hopefully going to get out for a decent run tonight, have felt very lethargic since my last run and muscles have felt sore. Not sure if it's since I've changed my diet or what but I'm tempted to not bother eating better when I feel like this :(

How's your hamstring @Martynt74?

Soldato
Still not right to be honest. It’s a weird one as no kind of hamstring stretch seems to touch it.

I’m off doing some DIY at my sisters then out for tea so going to see how it is and then do a local run on the roads where I’ve got some firm ground. I’d like to do ~10 miles so if I stay close and do a few laps I can have plenty of bail out points.

Or I get home and finish off my beers!

hux

hux

Soldato
Don't you have a massage gun, I find them great to loosen things up.
My hips and thighs are forever playing up, I can't side sleep which is awkward for me.
Moringa oliferia helps, but needs to be taken regularly.
I've had plenty lethargic days, that turned out to be amazing.
Crisps seem to do it, yet Macdonald's fries and burgers are like rocket fuel.
Oh I did have a luchos dillios just before the start, probably helped a lot when they pack split, as most would have been running on empty I'd imagine.

Associate
No massage gun here, it probably doesn't help I've cut a lot of junk out and hopefully just going through a transition to be honest. Or maybe I need a McDonalds :D Will see how I get on later as I too want to get a 10 mile run in to make up my weekly mileage.

Soldato
Yeah. Have a massage gun, but nothing from stretching, massage gun or foam roller results in anything feeling tight yet specific motions (bending the knee and bringing my foot backwards) results in a tenseing of the hamstring. It’s very bizarre.

@Bunko finding the right balance of reduced calories and maintaining running is tricky. I really struggled a few years back when I made a huge effort to shed weight and didn’t eat enough.

Not an issue today. Just been to the pub for a massive burger and then finished off the wife’s roast.

hux

hux

Soldato
There's certainly a lot of trial and error with cutting back, I'm lucky in that diabetes forced me onto keto and intermittent fasting, but prior to any run I do throw down 500 or so calories just to give me something.
But I always make sure I'm in a decent deficit.
Loacker double chocolate wafers are awesome, light so sit well and contain fats to slow their digestion.
Took a while to find something that worked for me.
On another note, turns out I was 15th overall. There was people with cameras so I'm hoping there's one of me.

I have siblyback lake somewhere in July, that will be awesome as I know it's totally flat.
Time to bring out the Takumi Sen 8 and really get some scalps.

Edit - and now I'm in for the great West run as well haha, I think I'm hooked.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I can imagine it's hard to run and drop calorie intake. Will just keep going for now and see how I progress seeing as though I've just started this month. I'm not dropping to silly amounts at least - last 5 days I have averaged 2560 calories overall. I guess my main drop in calories will be from alcohol which is what I'm concentrating on stopping the most. Could do with a nice pint now though :D

Did you succeed @Martynt74 or just stopped trying to lose weight/track calories?

Managed to get out for a run and felt brilliant considering the weather. Just felt like I ate up the miles up until mile 8 or so when I got some knee pain that forced me to slow down which was annoying but it did go away. Not sure if that's runners knee, being quite an inexperienced runner or something else underlying but I've felt it a few times and I just cannot push past it but slowing down settles it. Frustrating but still managed some PB's according to strava.

Well done @hux 15th is a great achievement, hope you manage to get a picture.

Soldato
Yeah. I was fairly successful and think I got down from 105kg to about 93kg with running going well. Then I forget what happened.
Actually I think it was my birthday and my wife bought me a whole heap of sweets/beer and after a week gorging myself on that I never really got back to tracking things and started snacking more again.
The weight then bounced around 95-98kg which isn’t a terrible weight for me as I’m fairly tall so carry it easy enough. Then I went through patches of running often mixed with breaks due to either injury or reduced motivation after a big event. That’s part of my goal for this year really. Just more consistency and praying for no significant injuries.

Managed to get out around half 7. Stomach felt very full still from tea and I was close to falling asleep in the sofa, but dragged myself out. My leg felt twitchy but not painful for most of it and I managed 8 miles easy enough by taking it very slowly. Currently sat with a heat pad under the area and Tomorrow I’ll go gym and sit in the sauna/jacuzzi!

Time will tell if staying out for 8 was a mistake but I wanted to hit my 30 mile weekly goal! I did contemplate continuing as felt kind of ok but decided to be sensible.

hux

hux

Soldato
I went from 105 and currently 86, dropped a couple kilos in the last couple weeks, made a big difference on today's hilly start.

@Bunko See told you didn't I ;)

Soldato
I went from 105 and currently 86, dropped a couple kilos in the last couple weeks, made a big difference on today's hilly start.

@Bunko See told you didn't I ;)

Yes. I think that’d be my goal, am just conscious of whether I’d end up looking too lanky! I think my aim is to try and get to 90kg and then put more effort in at the gym to add a little muscle to avoid being too thin looking and then maybe look to lose a little more fat.

Soldato
Leg still not right, if anything it feels a little more tendonitis in the knee rather than muscle tightness. Hopefully it goes soon, however i've just made my most expensive clothing purchase by buying some "Infrared Recovery Leggings" for £75!

If i'm not instantly recovered i won't be happy at that price!

Associate
Wow! That buys you a lot of Naproxen ;)

I did Parkrun on Sat, aiming for 30 min point as it seems sensible not to try too hard. Came in at 30:03 according to official time, and didnt feel like i was about to die, so all good :)

Back
Top Bottom