Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

hux

hux

Soldato
Yeah best to take it easy for a bit, no good tempting fate.
I think I got lucky with mine, as there's no lumps or swelling and I can walk fine albeit very sore from the run.

Associate
It is feeling a whole lot better today compared to Sunday and Monday. I am hoping that this is a good sign, and that it just needs a proper few weeks of rest. Going to France in August, so may be best to leave the running until September (again! - this is evidently what happens when you (a) start getting old (b) still weigh too much)

Associate
Hopefully a bit of rest sorts it out asap, as said very frustrating :( To be fair my knee wasn't feeling quite right this morning so I gave running a miss just in case.

Soldato
@Ian_Eb don't get me started on knee pain. On my run this weekend, I went flying from some dried hoofprint a cow left, felt my knee twinge so knew I did something, ended up having to walk the last bit as it played right up.

@Martynt74 the elevation ended up being 6919ft, so much for their accuracy.
Good run, but far too much chafing in ones nether regions, so I'll look to be addressing that.
If it wasn't for me knee, I could have gone on for longer.

It was a scorcher of a day, so I'm guessing a fair few dropped out as the trail was empty near the end.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/GjVkka74rqb

Ha, that's a pretty big variance! Yeah, Saturday was hot. I had planned on a long run, but ended up spending my Friday night drinking and so woke up not wanting to run 30 miles! As such it meant up to yesterday i'd had 4 days off which is a first for a long time.

@Ian_Eb hope it gets better and isn't too serious. Have you looked at Ben Patrick on Youtube? He's known as the Knees Over Toes guy and has done a lot of work towards helping people strengthen the knee. Pretty much all his stuff/advice is free on his Youtube page/website too which is awesome.

hux

hux

Soldato
Well seems to be all quiet in here, guess most of you are off enjoying your bank holiday.

Got my Roseland August Trail (Rat) race in a couple months, 64 miles for the plague so come tomorrow I'll be reccing the area.

Already figured out the parking, there's a free one a mile down from the start line so Ideal.

After getting on great with veloforte bars on my ultra, and being shocked at what a con the pricing is, I've found an alternative though slightly different it's essentially the same ingredients for 99p a pack.
God they're laughing at us for paying such prices.......
Got some stuff called.....butt shield, laughing aside I suffered as I chafed in places I never thought you could, so that'll be going on and tested.

I'll go with the safe option and throw on my Altra Olympus 4's, don't need to be a speed demon tomorrow.

Soldato
What’s the Veloforte alternative? I tend to alternate between gels and Luchos dillitos for fuel, but recently have been trying more proper food and so the thought of bars that’re higher in calories are appealing.
Only so many peanut butter sandwiches you can carry!

Yeah pretty quiet for me. I’ve been really minimal with my running for a bit and way too heavy on working and alcohol. Not even been in the shed for strength work in about a month.

Saturday I got out for a 17 mile run which was great and in superb sunshine. Downside is I took a tumble and bashed my knee fairly hard. It was painful the last 4 miles and a bit swollen. Looks/feels ok today so have given it a rest and then my plan is to crack on from tomorrow and really try and push myself and make less excuses.

Also need to cut out late night drinking. Work has been mad and I’ve found I’ll log on around 9pm after the wife goes to bed for a few hours, and sometimes have a few shorts at my desk. It’s a slippery slope and certainly co-incided with less running. Similarly I’ve been aiming to get out early before work, then switching off my alarm telling myself I’ll run at dinner, then being too busy and saying I’ll run after work, then finishing a bit late and making tea thinking I’ll run when my wife goes to bed but then can’t be bothered and just watch TV.

The run at the end of June with 11000ft of climb over 30 miles will be tough and I need to sort my body out for that!

hux

hux

Soldato
They're called nutty nature, can be had in home bargains for 99p, macros are slightly different, and they have small bits of peanut as opposed to chunks of nuts.
But contain similar amounts of salt, so for all purposes they're the same.
A box of 4 small bars has around 470kcals, I'll be using them on my recce tomorrow.
I actually found the smaller size easier to wolf down.
I've tried the nakd bars, but I don't get on with those.
I'll load up with the 3l bladder in me pack, seeing as I'll be on me own for a long while.

Sounds like you keep making excuses. Instead of having to force yourself out, put your kit on then see what happens, you'll be surprised.
I don't think about running when I'm not in the mood, just throw my kit on and my mind seems to say sod it you've got the gear on, may as well pop out now.
Failing that, eating lots of carbs guilts me into going :D
Speaking of which, what is funny is every time I load up on carbs, I go crazy ravenous.
It's like my body knows a run is coming so revs right up
Amazing how the body learns these things.

Soldato
Yeah. Definitely making excuses. I find mentally that I always have these lulls after an event.

The Spain race in March I’d hoped would be prevented by having the Howgills marathon but still happened, and then after that I had hoped having the Lakeland 5 passes would stop a lull after the marathon.

Setting myself a goal of 35 miles this week and cancelling a night out on Friday night. I have no issue running in the rain so just need to really make an effort to get out first thing before life gets in the way.

(Not tomorrow though as I’ve just finished a bottle of red wine and 2 beers!)

Soldato
Looks like we've lost the Trust function. If you let me know your email i'll get them sent over.

Glad to hear it's feeling better. I've started noticing some stiffness in the mornings in my knees when waking up in the morning, feels like i'm definitely getting old!

Soldato
They're called nutty nature, can be had in home bargains for 99p, macros are slightly different, and they have small bits of peanut as opposed to chunks of nuts.
But contain similar amounts of salt, so for all purposes they're the same.
A box of 4 small bars has around 470kcals, I'll be using them on my recce tomorrow.
I actually found the smaller size easier to wolf down.
I've tried the nakd bars, but I don't get on with those.

I think what i'd like is a real food option at ~350kcal

Need to research into this further. At ~100kg i'm burning a lot of kcal and so having a 100kcal bar isn't ideal on a 10hr run!

hux

hux

Soldato
Fats are needed on long runs, as he says there calorie dense, good for salt and protein and dates are good for consistent energy.
Anything up to say a marathon I'm fine with gels and drinks, but you quickly find that you need real food after that.
When I did my 45 mile run, the best food for me by far was two slices of pepperoni pizza
For the next half hour I just kept on plugging, stuff had an immediate effect.

Anyway went out on my little recce yesterday, only managed 33km as my knee still isn't healed. Haven't buggered it, but did have to take it easy on the way back.

Anyway learned that I'll easily make the cutoff, given it's 20 hours and I did the first third in 5h50m, and that's me going slow and carrying extra gear.

Also the bars worked great, just need to carry a lot more of them.

Soldato
@hux i'm cheap, and so always on the hunt for cheap snacks and came across these. Unsure if you're as ok with out of date stuff as me, but a bargain (you do need to order a few boxes though to spread the postage costs)

Gonna keep an eye on the Berry ones to see if they drop in price as they get closer to their sell by date!

Back
Top Bottom