Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
I got the 255 music a couple of weeks ago. Never had a watch before so nothing to compare it to, but loving all the data it gives. Used to just use an app on the phone. Not tried the music feature yet. The bezel does seem unnecessarily big.

Have found out that I have a resting heart rate in the low 40s, which seems a bit low.

hux

hux

Soldato
@Martynt74 My torch takes 18650, so no issues there the charging is just a bonus feature.

Those bars you suggested are good, hard to chomp on a run but I doubt there's any that is.

Went out and did a 25.5 mile rock to boscastle run today, it was a lot of fun but my knee problem from the traverse showed up.
Doing six consecutive runs, with just two days rest for the event didn't help, I felt rather achey for it.
So that's me on rest for a minimum of three days, and lights runs only until the 8th which is the cardinham half.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/FDYOwK2WXqb

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Nice,

I had a terrible 70.3 at Stafford.... Swim ended up being 2.4K (58mins) was getting blown all over the place and my sighting was horrendous, top off not being able to get into the right slot I was right at the back and no one really sit with and drag me along :) can normally do the correct distance in 43mins no problem. The bike leg was ok, but super windy and it was a mistake to bring the TT bike with deep dish front wheel, not experienced enough riding it in the wind but 3:45 all thing considering was OK. The run.... the bloody run... First 10k was fine steady little pace of 7min/km then the usual happens which I cant seem to shake, feel like I lots of energy but nothing in the legs my thighs just feel weak and lack of strength. No idea what to do about it.

Running sucks !!

(I also did not put much effort in running this year).

hux

hux

Soldato
Got my eklipse 12L pack, and sure enough it's every bit as good as I hoped.
Lots of care and thought gone into this one, super comfy no moving or rattling so far and you have lots of storage options.
Even has a bladder compartment, and no faffing around with tubing, it can just about take my two 750ml flasks.

Can't wait to go out and run, can't atm as I've promised myself at least three days off.

Associate
That looks marvellous :cool: When it comes to Sunday lunchtime, don't forget that it's better to regret something you have done, than to regret something you haven't done :)

Knee is improving, so maybe I will be able to slowly start up again in another week or two.

Soldato
Signed up for my first race since London last October, this might be a tough one with 642m/2100ft elevation gain over 1/2 marathon distance but figured it looked fun and scenic - Midsummer murder

I might regret my life choices come Sunday lunch time!

That's a decent proportion i'd say. I guess you're never getting a flat run in the chilterns!

Managed to squeeze in one run whilst away in Wales over the weekend, there was a lovely old railway line that ran past the house and went down to the coast. A mate joined me so was nice and leisurely, a good way to work out the alcohol!

Associate
That's a decent proportion i'd say. I guess you're never getting a flat run in the chilterns!

Managed to squeeze in one run whilst away in Wales over the weekend, there was a lovely old railway line that ran past the house and went down to the coast. A mate joined me so was nice and leisurely, a good way to work out the alcohol!
Yeah it’s pretty nice round these parts. I’m on the northern side of the Chiltern ridge way so if I head north it’s pretty flat, or I head south to get the hills in.

@Ian_Eb wise words and i try my best. Besides, good excuse for a decent Sunday roast/bbq afterwards too! Good to hear your knees getting better.

Associate
Lunchtime walk proves that knee is not as good as I thought! Pain on inside front quarter of it. nothing much if I go upstairs though, so I am suspecting tendon or ligament rather than meniscus (like last time)

hux

hux

Soldato
Lunchtime walk proves that knee is not as good as I thought! Pain on inside front quarter of it. nothing much if I go upstairs though, so I am suspecting tendon or ligament rather than meniscus (like last time)
Is it on the outside front quarter, that'll be the exact same problem I have. Only shows itself after repeated going down stairs, which the weekend was full of.
Let us know how you get on, I'm suspecting since kind of mild tendon damage so backing off for a few weeks should sort it I'd imagine.

Caporegime
OP
Good luck to everyone getting out today. That’s the warmest I’ve ran in so far this year!
Was a gorgeous day for a good training run, will taper down for my ultra now.

Pretty chuffed with it considering I didn’t feel like I was pushing it. It’s faster than I’ll run the Sunset at but, feel really good.

hux

hux

Soldato
Inside front quarter, so sort of similar but not quite. I think it might me Medial Collateral Ligament, but waiting on doctor to confirm.
I just looked at some images, and had a poke and prod to see what's going on.
I felt the tendon clicking, and some mild discomfort. So I'm sure it's this I have.

Fingers crossed, kinda sucks doesn't it.
And here's me with the 64 mile ultra in just under 4 weeks time.

I take a load of joint supplements, so should be fine but it still has me mildly concerned.

Last edited:
Soldato
Recently joined an Ultra running group on Facebook. Saw someone offering a place for the Raidlight Peak District 50 miler for half price. There was one guy ahead of me in the queue, who i think has a deadline of sometime today to get back and confirm, otherwise it's mine.

At the end of July. Hopefully it'll be a good day out :D

Almost at the point where i've convinced myself on it, and so even if i miss out i might register anyway! Although it baffles me why they limit places quite so much. Only 70 entries for the 50 mile version and 30 for the marathon distance. Hardly seems worth it!

Soldato
What do people use for gels etc for long distance? say 20 mile plus runs my body seems to get so lethargic at the 10 mile spot like im all out.

With my MS sadly I cant beat times like I used to so have sunk to run and walk a lot which is 10 min to 11 min miles, however I can still do long distance though.

Do you have a breakfast before runs what is your nutrition, back when I was running 20 milers I used to use them cliff gel block things but still felt like energy was gone from my body.

Edit: My knee playing up hasnt for over a year but noticed I hit over 110 miles in a month recently havnt done that for sometime, im going to have to jump on the bike to rest it I can run on it but hurts after.

Soldato
For anything that distance I always try and take some real food. Tortilla wraps with peanut butter or jam are good as they’re nice and easy to store. I find it easier than a sandwich.

I’d also always try and have something like jam on toast before setting off too.

Back
Top Bottom