Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

hux

hux

Soldato
Thanks for that, no problems ordering ood stuff, done it for years there's even a site that sells this kind of stuff, can't remember the name which is a shame.
But eBay is good for the pick or two.

Found out my hydrapak tubes can be removed and replaced with whatever I need, 10mm od 8mm id, which is ideal as I have a few of those kicking about.
Got one of their 2l soft bladder/flasks coming, might come in handy for those non event days.

My old bladder decided to leak, lucky I started my recce further back so had to run past me car anyway.

Edit - found they do a 750ml soft flask with the same 42mm opening, wahey I find my two 600ml flasks weren't quite enough between checkpoints.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know "Yankee Bundles" seems to come up with a lot of ood stuff on HUKD, not sure if that's where you're thinking.

I was going to say, consider switching out the bladder to soft flasks. I wrote about it a while back (maybe January), and have never looked back. I use the 2 front pockets and then have 2 pre-filled flasks in the back to swap out when needed. It makes it much easier to monitor fluid intake and also for refilling at checkpoints.

I'll sometimes use the bladder on a long training run, but for any kind of race i've switched over to only soft flasks. Decathlon ones even have a twist lock and so don't leak in the backpack.

I bought the Salomon Sense 2 vest, it's purely a running vest with a mesh back to help with heat loss so only useful for shorter 2-3hr runs and i always find i sweat loads with a normal backpack. Wore it for the first time at the weekend and was a bit disappointed. The hard softflask bottoms rubber against my sides, and i found the straps rubbed on my neck too. Hopefully it's something i get used to, and can always use different flasks. What was nice were the big stretchy pockets at the front. My decathlon ones are much more rigid and so fitting things in can be tricky.

I'm still struggling a little, went out last night and felt awful and cut my run short. As in HR in zone 4 whilst running at a slow pace on flat ground! Unsure if it's a bug or something else, went out for a 22 mile bike ride Monday night though and felt great.

Fancy adding another run to the calendar. Came across this https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?elid=Y&event_id=8701 However it's a point to point which makes logistics tricky. There's also only 30 entries so far which seems a bit low and makes me wonder how good checkpoints etc would be.

I think the Snowdonia 50 miler works best. It ticks the box of a "50 miler in mountain terrain" which seems to be a criteria for a few 100 milers i've been looking at recently.

Last edited:

hux

hux

Soldato
Yeah it's the training run I bought the bladder for, but two 600ml bottles barely lasted when you're talking 13 plus mines between checkpoints.

Funny you mention vests, my Inov8 Pro 2 in 1 is good, but I'm getting pain in my shoulders from running. Could just be residual aches from the ultra, I'll try to lighten the load much as I can and look for a better alternative.

Ultimate direction seems to be very popular.

I'm up London in a few weeks, and know if some good running shops I could perhaps look into getting something better then.

i have the Salomon skin 8 I think? Yes it's good, but didn't sit close to my back arch, so tends to flap about.
Edit - And that's another vest on order, Instinct trail eklipse.
Seen a few videos and everything looks spot on, it was either this Ud or Nathan.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not sure i can think of an occasion i need that much stuff, looks way bigger than 12l!

Ah see, the Sense 8 doesn't move at all, i guess because there's nothing in the back and sits tight, it was just the bottles that rubber. Top wise, i tend to favour the Montane Dragon Half zip and so think the collar just shifted causing the rubbing.

Soldato
Oops, i meant the Sense 2

Erm, i don't have *that* much! I probably do have a lot of running clothes, but then it's also the same clothes i lounge around the house in, as for running specific stuff

3x road shoes
1x trail shoes
3x backpacks
1x poles
6x soft flasks

Then don't get me started on the shelf full of powders/gels/bars :D

Associate
lol I suppose that isn't too bad then :)

What about torches, maps, watches etc. I am considering replacing mine with one of the newer ones, maybe the 255, as I think the 955 may be a bit over the top for my needs.

Soldato
Watch i don't count because it's my only watch, i don't have a specific one for running.

Oh, forgot about torches, i've got 3 of them, then a couple of buffs, caps, beanies and gloves...., then waterproof coats, windproof coat, waterproof pants, baselayers. Yeah this hobby is expensive!

Soldato
lol I suppose that isn't too bad then :)

What about torches, maps, watches etc. I am considering replacing mine with one of the newer ones, maybe the 255, as I think the 955 may be a bit over the top for my needs.
I picked up a Fenix 6 Pro for £300 after they released the 7. Incredible piece of kit, and I figured that for a price which is only a bit more than the 245's RRP it was worth the upgrade. Might be worth a look!

That said, the 255 looks great and if I hadn't got a cheap Fenix I'd be plumping for one.

hux

hux

Soldato
As for how much kit do I have, yeah don't ask :D
Coros vertix 2, goretex shakedry top, those two alone comes to £800 odd, plus I'll soon have 13 pairs of shoes, soon to be three hydration packs that I've outgrown or found it didn't suit my needs.

I'm not spending for the sake of it, a lot of my kit I'm very happy with I'm just refining the bits I'm not.
Very different running ultras, you quickly find faults that would otherwise work fine on shorter runs.

Torches I didn't spend much on, my nichron h25 cost me £25, has the perfect spread and throw, usb c charging and Samsung emitters means no shadows being cast.

Soldato
@hux just wait till you enter a few ultras where you need to carry a spare battery. Its then a very limited list! Although a few of the Nitecore ones take a rechargeable 18500 battery which is handy.

All quiet in here. Ive had a fairly decent week. Hit just over 20 miles running and around 30 miles on the bike. Downside is we're heading to Wales for the weekend with some couples. Im gonna pack my stuff but unsure if ill get chance ti get out.

Associate
Mentioned a while back about a thigh pain and numbness in one foot. I think it may be related to an groin strain I got from playing football last year. Anyway, had a couple of sessions with a physio and it seems much better now. Got a half marathon on Sunday, not done nearly as much training as I'd have liked, but looking forward to it.

Soldato
Mentioned a while back about a thigh pain and numbness in one foot. I think it may be related to an groin strain I got from playing football last year. Anyway, had a couple of sessions with a physio and it seems much better now. Got a half marathon on Sunday, not done nearly as much training as I'd have liked, but looking forward to it.

Sounds good, hopefully you can stay niggle free.

I'm similar, have a run in the Lake District next Saturday and feel pretty unprepared for it. Haven't done anywhere near enough hill based stuff in the last month.

Soldato
Lake District sounds nice. Mines at Sandringham in Norfolk, so a lot flatter and shorter I'm guessing!

Haha a little, mines 30 miles and ~10,000ft!

There's not really any respite either as it's just climb, descent, climb descent as it covers 5 "passes"

e4N2Aow.png

The above doesn't make it look as bad actually!

Caporegime
OP
My lovely forerunner 645 battery is dead, and of course it’s not replaceable so I’m looking at options. I do not need all the features of the 955, and solar is definitely not worth the expense in the Uk, so I’m looking at the 255. They do a music option of course, does anyone use this? Is there seriously anyone that runs without their phone these days? I’m not allowed to for safety reasons :p. I just am not sure why Garmin music really exists.

Anyway that aside, do we have any happy 255 users? I appreciate they’ve been out 2 weeks…

Associate
I’ve the 245 music. I don’t often have my phone except on longer runs so do use the music from time to time.

Spotify you just hook up your account then you can download playlists. They do expire and it doesn’t always automatically refresh it for some reason but aside from that it does the job for me.

Easily get a weeks battery usage out of it with maybe 6 or 7 hours of running and music usage.

I’d hazard a guess the 255 is basically the same with some minor updates!

Caporegime
OP
The 255 does look great spec wise but what on earth are they thinking with the bezel? It’s ginormous!

I have to take my phone everywhere as my wife demands it so I just guess I’ll never need Music.

Back
Top Bottom