Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
I'm interested in getting into running again, and as a beginner, I'm looking for suggestions for suitable running shoes that offer excellent cushioning and support. I've gone for a few runs this week at gentle pace, but I've been experiencing discomfort in the calves. I'm currently using a pair of older Asics shoes that are likely due for an upgrade. Any recommendations please?

Soldato
very individual depending on your running gait, whether you over pronate etc but I have for last 8 years or so bought Saucony's as find the fit near perfect for me. With some brands I find I am between half sizes so as I said very individual.

was running in Saucony Guides (and still own a few pairs), but I bought some Xodus Ultras for trail use last year and have found them amazing for all terrain including road running. They are so comfy they are like running in slippers but still provide support. They have a slightly lower heel drop than my Guides - I think 6mm which helps me heel strike less too

I wasn't running as much as I'd like for 7 months or so due to a knee injury and my HR had drifted up to mid-50s but I'm surprised to see after 3 months of really ramping up my running back to about 20 miles a week, and my park-run times dropping (gone from 24:30 ish earlier in year to 22:39 last Saturday - don't think I'll ever manage a PB though as I was 7 years ago sub 19 mins) accordingly that my resting HR is already after a few months back down to 37 and lower.

Last edited:
Soldato
forgot to say - what has really helped my running recently is Pilates ! only one session a week atm - but I have found it has improved my core strength and flexibility hugely.

Soldato
forgot to say - what has really helped my running recently is Pilates ! only one session a week atm - but I have found it has improved my core strength and flexibility hugely.

I'm aiming to try and do some of that now i have a nice grass area, have put my balance board on there, but work has been crazy and i've barely been away from my laptop. Combined with the move i've done no exercise at all for weeks :(

I did around 15 minutes on the balance board over the weekend, but given i had a Negroni in one hand it probably wasn't overly beneficial! Although excellent incentive to not fall!

@neoboy Good luck on the Hellvelyn 10k

Soldato
I'm a potato, was away all weekend and got back late on Sunday, went to book it the next day but deadline was midnight!

Found a local 10k trail run in Northumberland in November, might be more suited to my level of fitness anyway :D

Associate
Picked up the only pair that they had left in the sale of the New Balance Fuelcell supercomp trainer v1's from Asos of all places for £90, and they are incredible! Highly recommend keeping an eye out for these in sales.

Soldato
Whoop, managed 3 miles last night (well just under), and no pain today, so will have another go tomorrow. Trying to avoid getting too carried away and going today too. Do wish i'd stocked up on trail shoes though before coming out. I've also been told i can't run at night because of wolves in the mountains :eek:

Associate
I'm in 2 minds to enter Freedom racings new 50k next weekend, I'm entered into Hurt wood on December the 3rd which will be my last run until I turn 50, hamstring been tweaking a bit lately.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone got a suggestion for some good running socks?

I’ve been using under armour, both some older big woolly ones which seem quite nice with the cushioning but also some thinner ankle type ones. I also bought some more expensive ASICS ones which seemed to develop holes very quickly.

I’ve looked at Danish Endurance and Fjork merino ones but end up going down rabbit holes and just get confused.

Any advice much appreciated.

Soldato
Anyone got a suggestion for some good running socks?

I’ve been using under armour, both some older big woolly ones which seem quite nice with the cushioning but also some thinner ankle type ones. I also bought some more expensive ASICS ones which seemed to develop holes very quickly.

I’ve looked at Danish Endurance and Fjork merino ones but end up going down rabbit holes and just get confused.

Any advice much appreciated.

I'm a decent fan of Danish Endurance stuff and have quite a few of their socks. The Hillys ones are also decent. I've quite a few pairs of "Higher State" from Sportshoes too, they're cheap and don't seem to wear much, but not as comfy.

Associate
I'm a decent fan of Danish Endurance stuff and have quite a few of their socks. The Hillys ones are also decent. I've quite a few pairs of "Higher State" from Sportshoes too, they're cheap and don't seem to wear much, but not as comfy.

Danish endurance it is then, thanks for the advice

Soldato
Danish endurance it is then, thanks for the advice

Before I get blamed for ropey stuff. I remembered earlier that I have some of their thinner socks which faired less well.

However if you see some that are black with grey bits then they’re great.

The thinners ones I have were blue/grey and got holey quite quick. However I emailed them about them to mention my disappointment and they sent me more out for free.

Their boxers are also top notch :)

Soldato
Have signed up for something. There a local half marathon but seems they also have a 10k option. Given it's in 2 weeks i figured to play it safe. If i can clock in under an hour i'll be happy although not going to push it. Annoyingly i woke up with foot pain. Think it's definitely linked to tightness elsewhere as i was up in the hills on Saturday for a bit of a hike/scramble.

OG

OG

Associate
Leeds 10k yesterday, first 10k road race I have done since 2015! Managed a PB of 39:00 on the dot which felt relatively comfortable but really highlighted my massive lack of any form of speed training over the past 12 months or so where I've just been traipsing around local hills and exploring. Have a fell race in November and another booked in for Boxing Day (Chevin Chase) but with the impending arrival of baby number 2 due in December quite looking forward to doing some hibernating over January and then trying to find some new goals for 2024!

Soldato
Leeds 10k yesterday, first 10k road race I have done since 2015! Managed a PB of 39:00 on the dot which felt relatively comfortable but really highlighted my massive lack of any form of speed training over the past 12 months or so where I've just been traipsing around local hills and exploring. Have a fell race in November and another booked in for Boxing Day (Chevin Chase) but with the impending arrival of baby number 2 due in December quite looking forward to doing some hibernating over January and then trying to find some new goals for 2024!

That's a hell of a time for anyone! Great work!

Soldato
My foot has still been in bits since last Sundays trip into the mountains and i've definitely triggered some nerve issue from the rocky terrain. However weirdly running doesn't make it any worse. Decided to go out last night to see how it was and if it got worse afterwards. Completely misjudged the distance of a loop and thinking it was around 3 miles i actually got back after 5.5 miles.

Foot isn't too bad today and given last night wasn't much less than a 10km, i think i'll stick with the event.

Soldato
Well I made it and probably got an “official” PB at a 10k on account of it was only my second organised 10k and the first was my first ever event where I first met @Dup!

Had forgotten the difference between a road and trail events. Today everyone was running up and down the pavements doing drills whereas Trail events just seem to have people stood around chatting!

Help by only being €12 with the swag bag including a bottle of local red wine amongst a t shirt and other snacks and then there was free coffee (proper machine ground style) with cake and soft drinks both before and after and the whole being given a proper beer at the finish rather than a alcohol free Erdinger

Soldato
First 5k done post injury 4 months ago. It has been frustrating at times; however, I don't think I would have learnt so much after being forced to look into gait, cadence, footwear, physio, stretches, pacing, vertical ratios, tempos, and yoga. List goes on.

The cross-training also forced me back to the gym (I'm glad) and mixing up the week with zwift and cycling. My glutes have never looked so good :p

I feel I'm now better equipped to train up and avoid injuries.

Back
Top Bottom