Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Starting to get more into running and looking to get my first Garmin smartwatch but theres so many models out there. Im looking for something basic but functional so something like a Forerunner 55/255 perhaps. Does anyone know if these can be linked to your phone to provide turn by turn navigation on the smartwatch via googlemaps on the phone? From what I can see its only the higher end Garmins that have maps built in for turn by turn navigation?
Most of the Garmin Forerunner watches use their own maps, are you set on Google Maps particularly? But yes, routes built in Garmin will give you turn notifications. Do you have a budget in mind? What about buying something second hand, and see if you stick at the running?

Associate
Most of the Garmin Forerunner watches use their own maps, are you set on Google Maps particularly? But yes, routes built in Garmin will give you turn notifications. Do you have a budget in mind? What about buying something second hand, and see if you stick at the running?

Thanks for coming back. Im looking to spend about £150, I cant see to see anything around that budget with maps built in. Im looking at forerunner 55 around that price which has GPS but doesnt seem to have maps built in, but I was wondering if I carry my phone with my watch while running whether I could link it via bluetooth or something to give the watch the map navigation functionality? This might not even be a thing.

Soldato
Thanks for coming back. I'm looking to spend about £150, I can't see anything around that budget with maps built in. I'm looking at Forerunner 55 around that price which has GPS but doesn't seem to have maps built in, but I was wondering if I carry my phone with my watch while running whether I could link it via Bluetooth or something to give the watch the map navigation functionality? This might not even be a thing.
Can't say I know the answer to that one. That is a sensible budget for a watch to start with, no point spending the £430 I did on my 265. You could always use Strava on your phone and pay for the subscription (allows maps). That is another option for you.

Completed my 15-mile long run today, the longest I've ever run. I used the PacePro feature for the first time and set a goal time of 2 hours 45mins and set the effect to be easier on the hills. By the end of run I managed to finished 10 seconds ahead of the target, I think that's near perfect pacing! By and large I get good however the last 5 miles was into a strong head wind, and my podcast playlist finished with 3 miles to go, and that was tough. Next week is 16 miles...

Associate
Thanks for coming back. Im looking to spend about £150, I cant see to see anything around that budget with maps built in. Im looking at forerunner 55 around that price which has GPS but doesnt seem to have maps built in, but I was wondering if I carry my phone with my watch while running whether I could link it via bluetooth or something to give the watch the map navigation functionality? This might not even be a thing.
Would be worth seeing if you can pick up a used Fenix 6 Pro. Will be a bit over budget, I managed to pick one up for about £200.
Wanted a watch that had maps built in, but havent used the maps on it as much as I though I would. But has been really handy when I have used it. If I have my phone on me and havent setup the route before, I have been known to just open up strava and look at heat map lines to figure out where I am going when doing trail runs.

Associate
Thanks guys makes sense and yes I think maps will be good to have, will try to see if I can get a used model in the budget, many thanks. I was thinking of the Pixel watch as that then gives me turn by turn navigation via my phones bluetooth but I just cant deal with have another device to charge up every night and I reckon the Garmins would last me hopefully at least a few days.

Last edited:
Soldato
Most Garmins should give a week minimum, even including multiple activities.

It was the Spanish run on Saturday that i tried (and failed) 2 years ago. The weather was fairly rubbish with some rain/low cloud, to the point i think they actually cut out 6km of the ridgeline which was what really slowed me down and caused me to miss the cut off. I reckon had i ran this year i'd have finished! Albeit it would've been less enjoyable than glorious blue skies which i got.

What's amusing is that they posted this video talking about the horrific conditions up top. Obviously it's all relative, but that's just a mild day out in the UK :p

Soldato
Anyone used the newer sorbothane insoles with yellow cloth https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FBSR5TF

I've been using older red ones for years, usually last 4-5 years and multiple pairs of trainers ,
new ones seem to be 25mm thick at heel, so I'm wondering if they made them thicker to compensate for cheaper materials, but I don't know what I would buy instead

Soldato
Still not running :( not been able to properly run since September time ish, ankle seems better but run down post wisdom teeth/ Coronectomy . 6-8 weeks expected for this to get sorted. Depressing the other day as i was packing some bits into the loft and put some of my running stuff up there. On the upside i'm shedding weight barely being able to eat so should be a lot lighter when i get back to it.

Soldato
Anyone used the newer sorbothane insoles with yellow cloth https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FBSR5TF

I've been using older red ones for years, usually last 4-5 years and multiple pairs of trainers ,
new ones seem to be 25mm thick at heel, so I'm wondering if they made them thicker to compensate for cheaper materials, but I don't know what I would buy instead

I've never used insoles, but the Enertor ones always seem decent from reviews i've seen, although could just be a big marketing budget!

Still not running :( not been able to properly run since September time ish, ankle seems better but run down post wisdom teeth/ Coronectomy . 6-8 weeks expected for this to get sorted. Depressing the other day as i was packing some bits into the loft and put some of my running stuff up there. On the upside i'm shedding weight barely being able to eat so should be a lot lighter when i get back to it.

Sorry to hear that. I know the feeling. I did similar when moving out into this current rental. Had loads of stuff for long distance runs like thermal blanket/first aid kit etc which i'll probably never use again.

Soldato
On Saturday I completed my longest-ever run to date,16 miles.

I did seem to struggle with this run. The alerts (eating and drinking) on the watch weren't enabled therefore, I had to attempt to keep track of myself and lost track.
My hips felt tight around 14 miles onwards, and I needed to walk about a minute or two during that mile. I'm not sure whether it was the rain at that point or the fact I was running through Belfast harbours oil terminal, but I was at a low point.
Afterwards, I went to the award-winning DirtyDuck Alehouse in Hollywood and had a lovely fish dish after lunch; I felt a bit queasy while wandering through Ikea and B&Q. It was not a great day.

Associate
Started my running journey a couple months or so ago, was part way through a 5k training plan when I had an itch to just go try it. Managed 32 minutes which I was mega happy with, working now to get it below 30 by the end of April and also working towards a 10k race in September.

Been a long time since I did running but have a level of fitness from cycling that seems to translate over quite well.

Soldato
Went out yesterday for 35 mins, was happy with getting out. Ankle seems ok, i can't open my mouth fully after getting wisdom teeth sorted 4 weeks ago which meant breathing was a tadge harder than usual and i'm somewhat full of cold. All the same time on feet was nice :)

Soldato
Sorry this post is a moan, you've been warned!

Ugh, another pretty crap long run on Saturday. The marathon plan had me running 9 miles on Friday, followed by another 14 miles on Saturday. I woke up on Saturday with a headache, never a good start, and probably a little dehydrated. I had no energy in the morning for the run, but I left the house at 7:25 after having my usual breakfast of Weetabix and blueberries. There was a weather warning in place for 50+ mph winds, which put paid to my PacePro strategy, and the wind did sap what little energy I could muster over the distance. I even had to walk some 15 minutes during the 2 hours 41 it took me, and this was a combination of wind, motivation, the 1000ft of elevation, and my sore knee. Over the past few weeks, I've had the outside of my right knee getting a bit achy during these long runs. I think if I was going to train for another marathon, I'd try and improve the strength in my knees.

This coming week is the peak mileage of 40 miles, broken up into 5, 10, 5 and 20, and if I'm honest, I'm not looking forward to it. The 10 miles on Wednesday will have to be done; super early as I've to go into work's office and then out for a meal/drinks that evening with the bosses. Ugh. The training is getting to me, and I can't wait to see the end of it!

Soldato
All i would probably say in that situation is you'd probably do yourself more good to just take a week off, recoup and then get back to it next week. Maybe turn next week into a hybrid of this week and next weeks planned sessions and then see how you feel.

Taking a week is unlikely to cause any harm to the training but could be great for the mental boost PROVIDING you then don't let the rest creep in and delay again afterwards. There's a place to be stubborn and force yourself through things and there's a place for listening to your body and stepping back a little.

I think this would be the biggest reasons to avoid fixed training plans. Yes they're great for structure and giving people who maybe don't have the required knowledge to structure otherwise, but there are always many variables at play that we can't control. Having a plan with a coach who you can talk to and be dynamic makes a huge difference, although obviously comes at a cost.

Main takeaway. Don't beat yourself up. Getting out for that run on Saturday was massive.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks guys makes sense and yes I think maps will be good to have, will try to see if I can get a used model in the budget, many thanks. I was thinking of the Pixel watch as that then gives me turn by turn navigation via my phones bluetooth but I just cant deal with have another device to charge up every night and I reckon the Garmins would last me hopefully at least a few days.
I know it's been a while but take a look at the Coros Pace 2

Soldato
Martynt74's advice
I decided to continue last week's training, which was 5,10,5,20. I did have to get up at 4 am to run the 10 miles on Wednesday due to being in the office and then out for a meal and drinks, but boy was I knackered when I crawled into bed. I was dreading the 20-mile long run on Saturday and elected to run from Carrick to my mum's in Lisburn, cutting through the middle of Belfast. However in the end it wasn't too bad, although I did slow down halfway through it, mainly due to dodging pedestrians and getting stopped by a few traffic lights. I finished the 20 miles in 3 hours 50 mins, with an average pace of 11:30 min/miles and an average of 187 bpm.

When I finished my mum presented me with this: :cry::cry:

85dyGcJ.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom