Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
Has anyone done a stint of Zone 2 training?

I started running back in March last year and just ran. Made a fair bit of improvement by Christmas going from a 5k time of ~37mins to just over 25mins and happily running 4/5 days a week (~30/40km). Recently had some VO2 max testing done and its pointed out my aerobic base is pretty much missing :( so recommended to do lots of Z2 runs keeping my HR under 134bpm. Just been out today and it took an hour to do 7k.. Averaged HR was 137 and most of it in the right zones but it was pretty much a fast walk.

Anyone know how long it takes to see any kind of progress there? I'm going to do that same route 3x a week for the next few months with a few other "fun" runs added as well. Is it worth chucking in Z2 sessions on the bike too to increase that aerobic base? ATM, it feels like I could do that same session twice a day everyday!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I do a significant amount of time in Z2 it is a slow process to get going, A good 6 months at least if your starting from scratch.

The huge plus of Z2 training is it's easy on your body. This means one of your sessions should be short and hard, hill reps one week, intervals something to get your HR through the roof and let your body recover when first starting for a month or so.

You have a great base to start this now so good luck, so with Z2 and speed/strength work you will improve well and stay injury free.

Soldato
Speaking of heart rates, noticed that mine started creeping up again after skipping too many runs in December.

Today's 5k was a little brutal after a few days of minus weather. Took almost 20 minutes before I could feel my hands and plenty of ice dodging but got a nice sunset in.

Soldato
I was so bored this weekend I planned my own back yard ultra.
Mapped out a 4.5 mile route, running it on the hour for as many laps as I could.

Managed 7 laps in the end, just under 32 miles at about 9 min/mile pace.
That gave me about a 15 min break between each lap.

I was hoping for more but my god does it make you wander how people run 10x that!

My partner bought me some compression recovery tights for Xmas. Currently sat in them to see how they help with recovery.

Soldato
I have some compression knee length socks and fins they help a lot on recovery.

Sounds like a good run. If you’ve not watched it. There’s a guy called Beau Miles who did a similar thing but running a mile on the hour for 24 hours (plus a bit to make it a marathon). It’s on YouTube and a great documentary.

I did the Holcombe Howler with a mate. He’s a lot fitter than me and whilst he let me dictate pace I ran a little faster than I’d liked, and with chatting away I didn’t breathe well and it caused me a lot of issues so I suffered from a cardio side. My legs felt good though but it was tough at around 2200ft over the 13 miles. My usual routes are around half that.

Soldato
Funny you mention Beau and that video, seen it a while back and been toying with the idea of doing half marathon in same, mile an hour manner some time this year.

Soldato
Do any of you suffer from...err... stomach issues after or during a long run? I'm pretty fit and can happily to a sub 45 10k (PB of 43.10), but find that if I do 15k plus it leads to some rather urgent...upsets.

Soldato
How long roughly would you expect it to take to build up a decent cardio base from scratch?

I've always been terrible at anything remotely long distance and I'm usually out of breath by the first mile. I'd really like to aim for a sub 1 hour 10k as a goal by the end of the year but I don't know how realistic that is?

To gauge where I'm at currently , I'm generally relatively fit, 6ft and 75kgs and I 'ran' 5k this evening in 39 minutes. I have no idea how good this is but I'm guessing not very. Most of my runner friends on strava seem to do 5k in well under 30 minutes.

Does the feeling of wanting to stop and walk ever go away? I wish I had the love of running that some people have.... I'm hoping it's something you learn to love like real ale and marriage?

Soldato
Well from my own personal experience last year, I don't think I could run 500 metres in January, only hit my first sub 30 minutes 5k end of April and then did my first 10k under an hour middle of May. All while around 118kg and similar height to yours so I would say very realistic chances :D

As for that feeling? I still have it and I've been running ever since then, I just don't really enjoy it but continue to do it for all the benefits.

Soldato
Oh that's great to hear. I know people say cardio endurance increase pretty quickly once you commit to a proper routine but when I'm panting away after a mile, the thought of being able to run for an hour non stop seems so out of reach.

A 10k in under an hour after 5-6 months is well impressive! Congratulations. Did you do any specific running routine? I've been a bit pig headed and set myself the goal of running / jogging 5k every day for at least 30 days. I know it's by no means ideal but I want to do it more for the mental side than the physical.

Soldato
I didn't follow any routine which probably was a mistake, more than likely would have ran 5k sooner with something like Couch to 5k from the NHS. Doing the 10k so soon after hitting the 5k was done on sheer willpower alone, it was just non negotiable that I was going to do it then :D

Only rule I stuck by was to consistently go out for a run every other day so I would have a day in between of rest. Doing it every day early on could be asking for injuries, took over 6 months for me to stop feeling shin splints, for my calves to stop tweaking, random foot pains etc.

I have learnt that running is about the mental game, in fact I'm sure I can push myself much harder and further now but my head still not really in this fully. I just don't think I have that belief or mindset yet for further runs than 10k and even those fill me with dread despite not failing a single one yet under an hour.

Soldato
I think it’s difficult to do long distance without some kind of love of running. Sure you can do anything with enough mindfulness but what’s the point if you don’t enjoy it.

To start with I’ll give you the advice I was given when I started. “Just run slow”. The guy who told me that referred to it as a boxers jog. I’d been running around a yard for a few weeks and running too fast and tiring and then walking because I got tired and repeated that. He forced me to slow it right down so I was almost like a boxer jogging round a ring and I managed to build distance and time moving faster than walking pace quite quickly.

I started running at 29 and prior to that, I’d always been the fat kid from school onwards. I became a goalkeeper and enjoyed it. So I’d play sport but never be very athletic.

That was 5 years ago and I’d say I was still fat now, but I’ve got myself to a point I can run and I genuinely enjoy it. It makes me feel better and I love being up in the hills and countryside running with no one around me.

Soldato
@neoboy

I think you’re not that far from me as you’ve done some walks in the lakes. If you fancy a run sometime when things relax and we can try and set a route that’s longer than you’re used to and just see how you get on. Stop and walk when needed but run when you can. I think you’ll be amazed at what you’re capable of.

Soldato
@DanTheMan

I’d avoid 5k per day for a month. That’s a big ask of your body. Especially whe. You’re not used to running and whilst it might sound do-able. There’s a good chance you’ll end up failing or doing an injury which will cause you problems and ruin any progress you hope for.

I’d aim for 3 times a week at most. Especially to start with. If you search for posts in here by @D.P. then you’ll see a mass of great info.

Soldato
@neoboy

I think you’re not that far from me as you’ve done some walks in the lakes. If you fancy a run sometime when things relax and we can try and set a route that’s longer than you’re used to and just see how you get on. Stop and walk when needed but run when you can. I think you’ll be amazed at what you’re capable of.

Well not that close, 2 hour drive away from Keswick in good traffic.

I do enjoy hiking though and walking around hills and mountains. If I did live somewhere very hilly I'd probably try and get into some kind of proper trail running, although I won't even dare say fell running :D

There is a hill relatively close to me that I could try and make my target for running this year. Can build a 5k run around that and already recorded a walk there with MapMyRun, 112m of elevation on nothing but trail and all concentrated over last 2k which would make for a serious challenge. Alternatively can do it backwards and have it over 3k which is more manageable to start with.

While I might not like distance I think I wouldn't mind adding extra challenge to shorter 5k runs.

Back
Top Bottom