Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Well my running has been very up and down having been diagnosed with what looks like early signs of MS year and half ago I was having all kinds of foot drop issues.

Im not totally convinced it is MS Ive been trying to find patterns and trying different things, but Ive come to the conclusion it seems like it more of a circulation issue in the cold months my right foot goes numb but not always and starts getting all the issues.

Ive tried warms up inside now and using calf compression sleeves it seems to heal the issue not 100% but a lot better then it was, unfortunately my times have suffered as a result of all this it very frustrating.

Associate
Damn. Sorry to hear that. That really puts some of our little running niggles into perspective. I don't know if you have already looked into it but I get numb feet if I tighten my laces too much. I have to have them quite loose towards the toes otherwise the sole of my feet go numb. I have pretty poor circulation too. I have to wear 2 pairs of gloves if it's below 0 out.

Soldato
Sorry to hear that as well, not medical advise or anything but I immediately thought of the documentary called Living Proof (available on Prime I believe) I saw a while back about a chap with MS who's had a lot of success with keeping symptoms at bay with diet changes.

Runs a website too which has a lot of useful info by the looks of it.

Soldato
Cheers guys I spoke to guy in the USA who runs with MS he had it really bad had to walk with a cain for four months until he got better fortunately mine not that bad.

He on a drug now he recommended me to look into steroids or CBD as treatment, I only had a 20 minute meeting with a Neurologist and I was diagnosed with early signs.

Like I said im not fully convinced I continue to run but a lot of the time not aswell, Its just frustrating as I was making progress with times thinking about marathons etc I couldnt think of anything worse then to give up running I love it so much doing it for the last five years.

Soldato
Hopefully catching it early means you can be very preventative. It always seems difficult in these sitauations though when you disagree with a diagnosis. I have vast experience with my wife who has M.E and it too years to finally be correctly diagnosed.

In other news i've signed up to the Marathon version of this

https://lakeland100.com/grizedaleforesttrail/

Seems a great event and usually it's sold out when i find out about it so glad i got in early.

Soldato
Enjoyed my walk there but you're obviously a nutter for wanting to run there :p

This is what I want to do in September, hoping won't be any issues with the event this year.

Soldato
Yeah...Not for me that. Similar to Tough Mudder, i like the idea but don't think i'd enjoy the event. Unless you can rope in a few mates and have a laugh together.

Funnily enough, I've done Tough Mudder because got dragged into it :D

Doesn't seem overly difficult, was going to do it with a friend some years back but had a job offer abroad so took that instead. This kinda been stuck on my mind since.

Soldato
This also acts an incentive to lose a lot of weight by September, if I get to my target I'll wheigh then with the backpack what I weigh now without ;)

Associate
I went from going out 5 days a week and training for a marathon in 2019 (And running nearly daily for the previous 4 years) to pretty much stopping going out running. I have been twice this year so far, I just have 0 motivation.

Hoping I can start again soon, but with no races or events to book and a new baby to look after I just keep finding excuses not to go.
ugh

Just as an update, I went out and did a 5k last night..... Rest day today, another run tomorrow....maybe :)

Soldato
Went for a nice relaxing 8km run today and felt great bar the bottom of my feet/arches, if not for that I probably could have ran another 2km and set a new personal best 10km time. I was practically limping back to the car after finishing though, not sure if I should have pushed on with the run but suppose time will tell how my feet will feel for Monday's run.

I've only used these Mizuno trainers on and off for 3 and 5km runs sporadically since getting them but I think my feet are just not agreeing with them now that I'm back to regular schedule and longer runs. Thinking of just cutting my losses and chucking them on eBay and jumping to the Asics I have. Maybe even go with, "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" principle and buy same Brooks I had, only retired them because of the miles.

Soldato
Went for a nice relaxing 8km run today and felt great bar the bottom of my feet/arches, if not for that I probably could have ran another 2km and set a new personal best 10km time. I was practically limping back to the car after finishing though, not sure if I should have pushed on with the run but suppose time will tell how my feet will feel for Monday's run.

I've only used these Mizuno trainers on and off for 3 and 5km runs sporadically since getting them but I think my feet are just not agreeing with them now that I'm back to regular schedule and longer runs. Thinking of just cutting my losses and chucking them on eBay and jumping to the Asics I have. Maybe even go with, "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" principle and buy same Brooks I had, only retired them because of the miles.

That's what i did, they sold for around £27 so not a massive drop.

Soldato
I'll wait for next £1 final fee offer then and just jump into my Asics Gel Cumulus 22 next week.

Guess doesn't matter how good the trainers are if they don't agree with your feet!

Soldato
I'll wait for next £1 final fee offer then and just jump into my Asics Gel Cumulus 22 next week.

Guess doesn't matter how good the trainers are if they don't agree with your feet!

Yeah those offers are always best. If you sell two pairs though, just try not to mix them up.

I also sold some really old Asics which went for 99p. It didn't seem worth the hassle after fees etc but i figured i'd commited so stuck with it. Ended up posting them to the wrong buyers (both were called Paul), the guy who paid 99p said nothing and i've had no response from, the other guy (understandably) got in touch and i've refunded him. So the whole mess has actually left me down 2 pairs of trainers a 5 quid :(

Soldato
Hah, I've actually started selling on eBay again when I had a clearout in the first lockdown so thankfully hasn't happened to me yet :D

Associate
Before you give up on the shoes make sure you've not got them laced up too tight. I mentioned it further up but I used to tie my laces way too tight and it would give me pains and numb feet. I went through 3 different pairs of shoes before I realised that the lacing was the problem, not the shoes. I have to have the laces quite loose towards the toes. I guess I have wide feet.

Back
Top Bottom