Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

hux

hux

Soldato
Glad I'm not the only one, baffling isn't it.
I feel fine, so about to pop out with my rc elite 2's I'm dying to try.

Plus I'm trying to get the mileage up, now I'm getting lighter.

Soldato
Probably just a lot of factors such as sleep and nutrition, especially in our 30s when we can't live on a diet of Snickers and Doritos anymore :D

hux

hux

Soldato
Probably just a lot of factors such as sleep and nutrition, especially in our 30s when we can't live on a diet of Snickers and Doritos anymore :D

Nope, certainly can't. If and keto here at 47.
Parkrun yesterday was 26.06 on the second hardest course in the uk.
5th in my age group and 21st out of 104 so getting there.
I can see weight is a major factor, as the last mile is steep.

Ran this morning and all is good, considering it's my third day in a row.
Might try it again next weekend, I'm itching to go out now
despite doing 11 miles this morning.

Is this a sign. Is my body telling me it's ready to go up a notch?

Soldato
Also nice little milestone for me. I hit 30 miles for the week today for the first time since about July.

My running is feeling quite good but ankle still isn’t right. Quite often feels stiff or that I can “feel” it if that makes sense. Not painful or weak, just aware of it.

Associate
Sounds like everyone is doing well at the moment, keep it up! :cool: Just done a run having had alerts set for HR going above 150bpm, not sure how I felt about it as it just felt a bit odd slowing down even more whenever I got an alert lol. Ended as an average of 150bpm bang on with an average pace of 10:48/mile, should I carry on running this way for the time being then?

Associate
It may just be psychological too. Or adrenaline? I don't think that it's that unusual though. 11 miles is a bit to jump straight into after several days without a run, but a 5k will likely be fine the next day if you've done all the recovery things like foam roller, good night's sleep etc.

Associate
Sounds like everyone is doing well at the moment, keep it up! :cool: Just done a run having had alerts set for HR going above 150bpm, not sure how I felt about it as it just felt a bit odd slowing down even more whenever I got an alert lol. Ended as an average of 150bpm bang on with an average pace of 10:48/mile, should I carry on running this way for the time being then?
Definitely try to keep it up. You will get injured less often and so be able to run more and should enjoy it more too. Don't feel bad slowing down, or even walking up hills if you need to. Make sure you still do some speed work every now and then though. Even if it's just some strides at the end of a run.

Soldato
Yeah, that pace will come down fairly quickly as well i would have thought. I know mine did when i first started running at a low HR, it only took around 2 weeks to drop back to under 10 minutes. Although i was just at a weird point where the initial readings were probably down to lost fitness from injury and so came back quickly.

I've been loving running books recently. The 2 by Dean Karnasas especially have been great. Just moved onto Born to Run now which seems like its a "running bible" even if some of the ideas in it aren't especially great for everyone.

Really need to order new trainers today. Have been holding off as it seems to Speedgoat 4's are EOL and can't get the wide versions in my size anymore. I had hoped to wait for the Speedgoat 5 to become available but my Peregrines are now in tatters with a lot of the upper having large holes in and with being back to weekly >10 mile trail runs i think i need something in sooner. Might just get new Peregrines and then pick up the Speedgoats when they're out as i think they'd be better suited for the Spain run however lots of reports of them being delayed till March.

However i've also seen these which look handy, especially with that sock like upper, it looks well suited to Spain and would stop any stones getting in. Downsides being that they're in the sale in white and that seems like the worst colour option for the UK!
https://www.runnersneed.com/p/the-north-face-mens-flight-vectiv-shoe-L1314940.html?channable=00e8466964003235363234325f32393234b0&colour=2924&utm_source=google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_campaign=Best Sellers £250-1k ROAS High Priority-BOFU-PLA&gclid=CjwKCAiA-9uNBhBTEiwAN3IlNMR5SzIbUjgtjQzK2kqlRlcPQjzAd-9QWVYGB5a0BBxCZCEnt4S48RoCwQUQAvD_BwE

I also really like the look of the New Balance Hierro's, they look awesome, but at the same time don't seem as well suited for British winter. Maybe i need to get 2 pairs!

Associate
I would go with the Hierros myself. The Vectiv might tempt me if I could get it super cheap though, but more out of curiosity than anything. Shame you can't get the Speedgoat in your size. There seems to be a lot of delays coming with new releases next year.

Soldato
Haha was hoping you'd reply. You in the industry or just take a lot of interest in the trainer market?

My deal is effectively 50% off anything at Runners need. Although i only get 2-3 codes a year (1 for me and the wife and then the third depending on whether my daughter uses hers!), so the Vectivs would work out at £70 which is still a little more than the Hierros.

I've never really thought of the North Face for trail shoes, but seems they're pretty popular with the winner of UTMB 2019 wearing them! I just always think of kids wearing it these days!

The Hierros are one i've always loved the look of but not got around to yet as i don't change my trail shoes as often. I've since had New Balance 1080's which fit well so at least i know i get on with the brand now, so think i'll go with them and then keep an eye out for what's around in January sales to stock up. I wouldn't mind a decent selection rather than always using 1 pair for road and another pair for trails.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fair enough, the Hierro looks about right for me, i really dislike "proper" mud and prefer a gravel style path to muddy fields any day and always try and plan routes accordingly so the lack of ultimate grip shouldn't be a big issue. My only concern is that the lack of rock plate will make it uncomfortable on rocky sections and i'll feel every lump.

I did find a store in the North East that has the Speedgoat's in the Wide size, problem is my 50% discount makes it difficult to shop elsewhere, as it then turns a shoe like the Hierro into a £60 one and the Speedgoat is then £120 and that's a hefty premium!

Same with the Innov8 Trailfly, it looks ideal but again Runners Need don't have my size :(

Maybe i should just stick with the Peregrines! I both love and hate buying new shoes!

Soldato
In other news. I've decided against my Yorkshire 3 Peaks attempt this weekend. The plan was to do it with a mate and take a run/walk approach with an aim to take between 6-7 hours.

However, with it being our 10th anniversary (me and the wife, not my mate :p), we're going out Saturday night and given the start point is over an hour away then the whole trip is getting close to 10 hours. Even with an early start it starts to get a bit risky if things take longer than planned etc, especially with 25 miles over 5000ft being a big jump from where i'm currently at.

As such i've suggested we do a more local route around the 18 mile mark and sent my mate a few options. Not as much elevation on either (around 2500ft) so should be mostly runnable and it's trails i'm familiar with that he isn't so i've cherry picked some of my favourite sections with some decent landmarks to hopefully give us a good day out. Weather looks dry this week too so fingers crossed on that!

Associate
Yeah, it's a bit of a dilemma with running shoes in wet weather. On one hand you don't want water getting in but on the other you want water to get out when it inevitably does get in. It's always a trade off. The Hierro's should be ok in most circumstances but probably not the best if you're running through boggy patches or deep puddles.

Soldato
Yeah. Think i'm going to pick up the Rincons too. Feels like they fit the bill for what i'm after for some runs to mix it up a little. Only issue is the lack of wide fitting and i found the Cliftons too narrow so will need to try them out first.

I've mentioned before but i've always had decent luck selling old trainers and surprised at what they go for. I guess that given i sell after ~250 miles, they're still fairly current trainers which are ~£130 new so buying them on ebay for £30 represents a decent saving and they're probably perfectly fine for people with less niggles than me.

Realised i didn't do this last time, so have got my Hoka Arahi's, On Cloudflyers and Brooks Ghost 12's. Should pay for the next pair :)

Had a tough run today. After a leg workout last night i was only meant to do an hours easy running on flat ground. Got around 4 miles in and the wife text saying she was feeling really dizzy and had bad stomach pains. She's been feeling "off" for a little while now so rushed back as quick as i could trying to balance speed vs my ability to hold that speed for over 2 miles! Ended up around 8:08 pace which is what i'd say was roughly my 5k pace. Could've carried on longer if needed but was nice to do a sustained effort at a faster pace as other than some strides once a week and some faster hill reps everything else has been slow and easy.

Plus side is the wife was feeling a little better, although may have just told me that so i didn't offer to hug her whilst being a horrid sweaty mess!

Last edited:
Associate
Glad to hear all was good with the wife in the end! Just managed my first 10k run, tried to run under 160bpm but slightly over, finished it in just under an hour so a nice benchmark to have for the future.

hux

hux

Soldato
Did another tonight, 7 miles so that makes it 32 miles since friday.
But sciatica got to me in the end, might be my hoka cliftons bringing it out.
Anyhoo something to keep an eye on.

But so far going good. Did stagnate for a long time, like months
but I seem to be past it, and slowly ramping up the mileage.

Got the bideford half in March, so made a promise to get as fit as I can.
But I've ordered the sportneer s9 on order, my current gun is a cheap one just to see if I'd get on and I love them.
Hopefully the higher stall force means I can work out those aches better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom