Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Decided they're not for me. Wore them in the house last night and just felt too restrictive. It's weird as i never thought i had wide feet and just thought it was the Hokas were a narrow fit. Since i've had 2 other pairs of NB and both those have been fine. Maybe it's just the style to be close fitting and for the short runs i could've probably lived with it, however it just felt like they'd fall apart after 100 miles and i'm not prepared to take that risk.

Going to stick with my Novablasts and see what happens in the new year sales. I wouldn't mind a pair of Altras, however Runners Need have them at the full RRP of £120, and SportShoes are £72. Hopefully Runners Need will reduce their price and i can then get my discount on them too.

Then probably go with some Saucony Endorphin Speeds as a faster shoe.

hux

hux

Soldato
@Martynt74
You know what, I'm not taken with the Pegasus. Probably as I know from past experience that whilst good, they're nothing special.
I'll grab a next% or vaporfly when the timing is right, won't bother with invincible run, been told they don't last five minutes.

Soldato
Ah fair enough. I’d always heard very positive things and so for £55 I’ve taken a punt. Probably return them like all my other recent purchases!

It’s funny. When I first got my ASICS Novablasts I wasn’t a fan. Did around 70 miles in them then switched to some Hokas. However brought them out around a month ago and quite enjoying them and no rubbing/feel like they’re collapsing like I recall.

Also wish I was less fat and had more of a runners physique! Ordered some clothes from Higher State. Two being a thin running hoody. However it’s so close fitting and stretchy that it clings to every lump and bump and so feels really self conscious. A shame as it’s comfy. Maybe I’ll be ok with a regular t shirt over the top!

Associate
I just got rid of some Nike something or others as they just didn't feel right. Couldn't explain in any sensible way what I didn't like.

Sold them on ebay for almost what I paid.

Couldn't get on with New Balance either. May stick with Asics for the foreseeable future :)

Soldato
Associate

Thanks, another to think about but I think I'm going to try and source a pair of reebok floatrides, seem to get a lot of positive reviews. I do love all the garish colours & designs of running shoes :cry:

Also wish I was less fat and had more of a runners physique! Ordered some clothes from Higher State. Two being a thin running hoody. However it’s so close fitting and stretchy that it clings to every lump and bump and so feels really self conscious. A shame as it’s comfy. Maybe I’ll be ok with a regular t shirt over the top!

I definitely have this issue too, I just can't seem to shift my squishy midsection, maybe a New Years resolution of mine should be to clean up my diet although I don't particularly want to lose any more weight I think it'd help with my running.

Soldato
I'm similar, however i do need to shift some weight. Even with my weight loss goals though which is down to a weight i've previously been, i couldn't cope with a top that clingy. I'd need to drop a lot more and then run the risk of being skinny and tall. At least without lots of effort in the gym adding muscle!

My Altras are here (Torin 5). Man they look weird. The sheer amount of room in the toe box is crazy. Going to try them at the gym i think. Main reason i'm hesitant is that the tongue feels like a hard plastic and i can already feel like it's digging into the front of my ankle. Having just done a bit of reading it seems it's a big complaint from a lot of people (annoyingly i hadn't picked up on that before!)

Last edited:
Soldato
I need to give this thread a rest.

I was up early for a run under orders to be home for nine so didnt sleep well as conscious of time (along with being filled with pizza and booze)

Ended up having a dream that we had an ocuk Christmas run! Obviously I don’t know what you all look like so that’s a blur!

Soldato
Mostly a blob to be fair :D

Merry Christmas all, think might treat myself too, Garmin Instinct Solar £96 on Garmin's site!

EDIT: Purchased, had a quick look and seems to have everything I need for runs and hiking to upgrade from my Fitbit Charge 3

Last edited:

hux

hux

Soldato
Ordered one myself, I was waiting on the 7 to drop but the instinct has the same sensors as the 6, so thought bugger it.
My huawei watch gt is now getting annoying, with poor metrics and no strava support.
Still did it's job, and it did cost me nothing.

Just got a whole new ecosystem to figure out sigh........

Would have gone out for a run, but the booster jab put an end to that idea.
However the Rebel V2's are amazing to run in.

Soldato
Haha it's tricky isn't it, not just buying trainers when you see them!

I went out in the Hokas yesterday. I can't quite make up my mind. To start with they felt great and incredibly light, i felt i was running faster in them (still slow) and they felt supportive for my ankles. However they started feeling a little tight towards the end. Not sure if that's just new trainers though and will loosen up, plus i've only really got them for shorter runs anyway so less of an issue. Might wait to see what those New Balance ones are like and then make a decision.

I've got the Rincon 2s and my feet are pretty wide (I usually run in Altras, but bought the Torin recently and didn't get on with them at all - the Vihos and particularly Escalantes are lovely though). Really enjoying the Rincon, the most fun shoe I've had for a while! I'd persevere if I were you

Soldato
I'm similar, however i do need to shift some weight. Even with my weight loss goals though which is down to a weight i've previously been, i couldn't cope with a top that clingy. I'd need to drop a lot more and then run the risk of being skinny and tall. At least without lots of effort in the gym adding muscle!

My Altras are here (Torin 5). Man they look weird. The sheer amount of room in the toe box is crazy. Going to try them at the gym i think. Main reason i'm hesitant is that the tongue feels like a hard plastic and i can already feel like it's digging into the front of my ankle. Having just done a bit of reading it seems it's a big complaint from a lot of people (annoyingly i hadn't picked up on that before!)
Sorry for the double post, just spotted this. I hated the plastic in the Torin which is why I ditched them. I actually ended up unlacing the plastic section of the shoe in mine so it didn't tighten too heavily around my feet - they'd bruised my pretty badly previously.

On another note, I'm another that's taken a punt on the Garmin Instinct. Looking forward to it arriving!

Permabanned
Price back up on the Garmin Instinct Solar, anyone had a cancellation email?
Reading on Hotukdeals some people seem to think it won't be honoured where as some are hopeful it will. Missed out completely myself thinking I'd sleep on it as it was more want than need.

hux

hux

Soldato
I'm saying nothing for now, except fingers crossed for everyone.
I can only but hope there been that many orders, that they won't catch them all in time.

Soldato
I'm saying nothing for now, except fingers crossed for everyone.
I can only but hope there been that many orders, that they won't catch them all in time.
That or they'd intended to limit the number sold at that price and failed to do so, so some will still be sold. Hoping mine comes through, but if not - oh well

Back
Top Bottom