Plausible Deniability

Soldato
You may be in breach of RIPA for not disclosing all your passwords though

Wasn't there a case in the last few years where a bloke flatly refused to had over the password as the police just couldn't break in? He got something like 8 months for it.

At a guess he basically played the wheel and decided that 8 months would be a heck of a lot less then what they would've given him if they found what was encrypted

Associate
Can you use trucrypt for virtual machines? if you can,then you could use your normal windows OS and creat a virtual hard disk file with another windows OS on it and then a hidden OS inside of that. I dunno just an idea......remember to use 7 proxies or preferably a neighbours wifi ,change MAC address and then 7 proxies chained lol. I just use a neighbours wifi and a VPN and virtual machine when im snooping in places i shouldnt be then i delete the virtual hard disk folder and replace it with the backup copy :p i love free stuff:D

Soldato
Wasn't there a case in the last few years where a bloke flatly refused to had over the password as the police just couldn't break in? He got something like 8 months for it.

I remember that.

At a guess he basically played the wheel and decided that 8 months would be a heck of a lot less then what they would've given him if they found what was encrypted

Or he just didn't want to give up his privacy. I would do the same (well I'd go with the 'I forgot it' excuse over refusing)... if I didn't have a safe password to give.

Soldato
OP
Or he just didn't want to give up his privacy. I would do the same (well I'd go with the 'I forgot it' excuse over refusing)... if I didn't have a safe password to give.

You would rather go to jail than give a password, with nothing to hide?

I think I would only do that, were there something behind the password that would get me more time in jail.

If you didn't give the password and went to prison, could they try and get the password off you again when you got out, and send you back?

Soldato
You would rather go to jail than give a password, with nothing to hide?

I think I would only do that, were there something behind the password that would get me more time in jail.

If you didn't give the password and went to prison, could they try and get the password off you again when you got out, and send you back?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I have plenty to hide... none of it jail-worthy of course. And I'm sure you can't be sentenced twice for the same 'crime'.

Permabanned
The best way to go about things like this is just full encryption, its not infinite years in prison at all. You are under no law to divulge the password to police, it will cost you 2 years in prison max if you do not in most cases, but obviously that may be much less than what you have encrypted.

Soldato

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/post/881726

The quote from someone in there that I remember well is this:

The courts always take the view that anyone who refuses to co-operate with the police are up to no good, which is odd because it flatly contradicts the principle of 'innocent until proven guilty'. More like 'innocent until your behaviour looks a bit sus and then, despite having little or no evidence, we'll give you a quick blast in the cells to see if that loosens your tongue'.

Sums up the "make it up as you go along" CJS nicely.

Soldato
The best way to go about things like this is just full encryption, its not infinite years in prison at all. You are under no law to divulge the password to police, it will cost you 2 years in prison max if you do not in most cases, but obviously that may be much less than what you have encrypted.

You totally contradicted yourself there. You claim that you are under no law to divulge the password. But then you say if you don't, you'll be locked up. How are you locked up if you aren't breaking the law?

Soldato
Truecrypt plausible deniability relies on you having 2 OS on the same drive. The first OS is a decoy "safe" one and the other is the hidden "secret" one. The hidden OS lies within the safe OS in sort of a container.

Both OS have passwords. When the system starts, you enter one of the passwords. Depending on what password you enter results in what OS is started - entering hidden OS pass results in hidden OS loading, entering the safe password means the safe OS loads.

The hidden OS looks just like random data while it is encrypted, almost like unallocated disc space which makes it nigh on impossible to see whilst encrypted.

By giving over your safe OS password, this will give you the denial plausibility that you complied with RIPA. In order for it to be believable, you should use the safe OS as much as possible in order for normal deleted files etc to build up. If you had a "pristine" safe OS like it would be on a fresh install, this would raise suspicions. Only use the hidden OS when you need to.

There is far more info on the Truecrypt website.

Is this relatively easy to set up? Is it possible to mess up the safe OS so you can't access the hidden OS... if you see what I mean?

Back
Top Bottom