PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS - Thread

Associate
So... I only just properly learnt about audio compression, wow me.

So that is why the sounds were changed, I get it now.

Is anyone brave enough to admit using it? Or having got banned for doing it the wrong way and getting caught for it?

Is it true that most streamers use it etc etc?

What does it do? I dont watch many streamers these days - only really choco. But he definetly has better in game audio than me as knows exactly where folk are. Many say he just has his volume cranked up super loud but so do I.

Soldato
What does it do? I dont watch many streamers these days - only really choco. But he definetly has better in game audio than me as knows exactly where folk are. Many say he just has his volume cranked up super loud but so do I.

Increases low noise without increasing loud noise, so you can turn it up and hear where folk are really easily, from what I gather its a best known but untold secret in the gaming world. And its done in a way that is udetectable, and even if it were detectable that way... you could still put sound out through seperate hardware to achieve the same thing without detection. It's pretty depressing the more I think about it. Starting to wonder if its worth having all my sounds up loud so I can hear at the expense of my hearing probably. But if I used it too, meh... I'd just be one of them.

Apparently its not as amazingly amazing it was before the sound changes, but still amazing. The sound changes were to lessen the amazingness. Would have been nice for some honesty though.

Associate
I tried this a year or more ago.
I installed voicemeter to try the compression, but it made the audio of people shooting near by really terrible, so much that I could barely make out where they were shooting from. The guy shooting at me from 20-30m away sounded like he was 150m away, it was super difficult to gauge. Footsteps were odd too.

The compression, mainly takes your audio graph and squashes it. so if you think of a nice audio graph that we all know, you can squash it in half, where the really loud stuff is played at half volume, and the really quiet stuff is increased in volume, so that it's played louder to your ears.

I use hardware compression built into my goxlr, but that only works for the microphone, it doesn't work for any outputs. The reason it's used on a mic is to prevent your voice from sounding loud when you shout and it boosts your volume when you talk quieter, making it a better experience for people listening to you.

I don't believe any pros use compression for in-game sound. It would be ridiculous to go from compressed audio to uncompressed audio in competitions, since all of the hardware is managed.
Streamers on the other hand may use it, but if they're like me, i hated the experience, even if I only used it for a couple of games.

My ears have definitely taken a beating since i've played PUBG, but it's something I've learned to live with.

Interestingly though, when I was banned a little while back, I had not long installed voicemeter - after they lifted the wrongful ban, they didn't tell me what was flagged as an issue. It *could* have been voicemeter, but at the time, I wasn't using it for compression, I was using it to send audio to my streaming PC at the same time as my headphones. Still weird that Windows still doesn't support outputting audio to 2 outputs at the same time! It's pretty much the reason I bought my goxlr.

Soldato
I tried this a year or more ago.
I installed voicemeter to try the compression, but it made the audio of people shooting near by really terrible, so much that I could barely make out where they were shooting from. The guy shooting at me from 20-30m away sounded like he was 150m away, it was super difficult to gauge. Footsteps were odd too.
From what I read it has to be fine tuned, if you over compress what you describe is what happens.

I don't believe any pros use compression for in-game sound. It would be ridiculous to go from compressed audio to uncompressed audio in competitions, since all of the hardware is managed.

It would equal out because all the pros would be limited the same, I've watched twitch streams of some of those players, there are many many many times where everyone is saying how did you know there was someone in that place......

Still weird that Windows still doesn't support outputting audio to 2 outputs at the same time! It's pretty much the reason I bought my goxlr.

Virtual outputs no? From what I'm reading that is what you have to use to not get caught doing it...!

Associate
From what I read it has to be fine tuned, if you over compress what you describe is what happens.

When I tried it, I didn't really have a clue what I was doing, threw my toys out of the pram and uninstalled it.

It would equal out because all the pros would be limited the same, I've watched twitch streams of some of those players, there are many many many times where everyone is saying how did you know there was someone in that place......

I guess it depends if you have you twitch stream volume turned up to the same level as the gamer. I know I definitely don't watch streams as loud as i have it when I play.

Virtual outputs no? From what I'm reading that is what you have to use to not get caught doing it...!

Probably, voicemeter has virtual outputs, but i wish it was native in windows.

Soldato
I guess it depends if you have you twitch stream volume turned up to the same level as the gamer. I know I definitely don't watch streams as loud as i have it when I play.
It's more the distance, they say they hear something, but its further away than we would hear it. Now I'm realising that some dont talk about what they hear.

One streamer also hates having a team mate run behind them at all, which I can kinda see, but that doesnt upset me like it does them... but I can see how it might using audio compression...

Associate
I find I can't easily hear bad guys footsteps when my team mates run near me.
I dunno if that's because my sound is so loud anyway and I'm drowning myself in loud noises? I find team mate footstep sounds are very loud, I wish it was made lower, but that's not very realistic. That's why I tend to jump regularly, so that time I'm in the air, I can hear things better. I jump a lot when approaching buildings, hoping for those bad-guy noise to be more pin-pointed.

Which streamers are you talking about btw? The only ones I tend to watch are Kaymind/Choco/Hali/rawrry/Break/ibiza & some fuzzface.

Soldato
Choco, jowybear, wacky, ibiza mainly. But not loads of any, I need to watch more now.

Jowy is known for her hearing and is the biggest hater of close team mates, Choco I can't remember him talking about what he hears very much, ibiza can be proper questionable at times...

I know what you mean about team mates foot sounds, but imagine if it were much louder too!

One guy on forums, quite respected, is saying he uses it...

Convo starts here...

https://forums.pubg.com/topic/170803-cheating-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=1416222

Associate
It's an interesting read, really make me want to try it, although i'd feel dirty if I did!

What I don't understand is, if you have these sounds compressed to hear them better, surely you'll have issues figuring out exactly where these people are if everyone is loud? Because the way compression works, would be that footsteps from 5m away will sound the EXACT same loudness as someone who is 20m away (as the sound is quieter, therefore loudness increased). How are you meant to work with that?

Caporegime
i do wonder sometimes if people are tone deaf. i do play at 100 ingame though and windows. :p can hear everything and people from all directions. if you with a decent team you can tell if its the enemy anyway. as you know where your team is.interesting to hear about this though :D

Soldato
surely you'll have issues figuring out exactly where these people are if everyone is loud?
I imagine there is still a range of volume to those 'quiet' noises that you get used to pin pointing!

i do wonder sometimes if people are tone deaf. i do play at 100 ingame though and windows. :p can hear everything and people from all directions.
Same same, maybe we will be tone deaf before long because of it! :p

But I try and move quietly as much as possible, so it's irking me when I look back at a replay or two and either they have esp (or heard me it may seem) anyway!

Soldato
Sorry to jump into this conversation, but I sometimes miss hearing footsteps that I hear when I go back and watch the replay. I currently use AKG Y50 headphones which I think are quite good. Would using something like the HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Gaming Headset provide better in-game sounds, and perhaps clearer sounding footsteps? Of course it could just be my hearing, but wondering about the difference between a decent pair of headphones (for £50), and a dedicated gaming headset.

Associate
I think the more I try and use hardware to 'hear footsteps' or 'increase fps' the more I realise how much none of it really matters.
If you got a ~decent pair already, then you're probably good to go. I would personally try using the software above first which means you could use a slightly higher volume for everything else. With all the hardware increases i've done, I can't say any of it has considerably increased my kills/wins, I reckon it's a change of how people play will mostly affect those outcomes.

Caporegime
try
Sorry to jump into this conversation, but I sometimes miss hearing footsteps that I hear when I go back and watch the replay. I currently use AKG Y50 headphones which I think are quite good. Would using something like the HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Gaming Headset provide better in-game sounds, and perhaps clearer sounding footsteps? Of course it could just be my hearing, but wondering about the difference between a decent pair of headphones (for £50), and a dedicated gaming headset.

decent headset or speakers will help. then obviously how you set your sound up and then how good your hearing is. avg headsets upto about £50 you wont notice much difference. but then say go to some beyer dynamics 770 pros over a £50 headset you will instantly notice the difference.obviously it depends on the other factors mentioned. if your hearing isnt great no head amount of money spent on head phones is going to matter.

Back
Top Bottom