Playing F.E.A.R for the 1st time and in glorious 3440x1440p!

Associate
fear was corridor after corridor, didnt rate it much - very repetative. Condemned was better, running around in the dark with nothing but a lead pipe or a shovel to bash the bad guys with. great fun, far more tense.

Yup this. Never found FEAR scary at all, you just end up thinking "oh there's Alma again..". The gameplay was a bit boring too. I actually really liked Fear 3 though... especially the co-op

Condemned though, is a classic :) What an atmosphere.. and some really fantastic unforgettable moments!

Caporegime
still never played the third though

Like the second, a decent enough shooter in its own right, but as with most subsequent games in a series they become progressively more diluted and so far removed from the original (new engine / design etc). Worth picking up for a few quid, though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I installed it and gave it a whirl. 980Ti benchmark average fps in 1440p everything maxed was 414fps! :) Poor AMD owners. I remember running the benchmark maxed in 1600x1200 back in the day and getting something like 15fps average

Here's my offering - http://i.imgur.com/25VtqNL.png

Performance, maxed 1440p with fps upper right

Benchmark - http://i.imgur.com/Lya7jtO.png
The green bit - http://i.imgur.com/ow4o7r8.png
Benchmark where my pc used to implode and fps dipped to about 3 - http://i.imgur.com/dRTP34R.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
And oh ya flipper that scene at the start of the 3rd act as you're going down the ladder!! I got proper chills down the spine. :cool:

Have to hand it to them that was so unexpected it got my heart racing proper the first time - I've heard grown men scream like a little girl (sort of pun intended) at that part.

Soldato
OP
I've never had any problems with regards to stability, and I would think most people can run it with most / all settings enabled. :)

I'm running it with a Fury X at 3440x1440p with all settings maxed and was surprised to only be getting 45 FPS. It's a very steady 45 with no drops so it plays beautifully but I think there were some FPS issues for some with this game - I'm sure there are posts on the steam forum for F.E.A.R regarding it with suggested fixes.

Soldato
IIRC it had reasonably good "netcode" as well.

I couldn't say anything about that but I don't think I ever felt cheated, you got killed and it felt fair.

It was just amazing fun, the guns felt and sounded great, the enviroments were great.

If they just remade it with better graphics I'd be all over it.

Man of Honour
I am surprised you're only getting 45fps, though the main thing is that it's running smooth for you. Any mods?

Can't remember for certain now but I seem to remember there were 1-2 options that could be pointlessly turned up and totally killed performance even on the best GPUs while not giving any increase in IQ.

Soldato
Yep, soft shadows was always the killer.

heartburnron, what do you get when you run the built in benchmark with all settings maxed in 3440x1440p and 2560x1440p?

Soldato
The multiplayer was actually pretty fun too, they did a standalone free multiplayer cant remember what it was called?

I loved how the bullets hit walls and took chunks out it all felt soo smooth! Never actually finished any of them though :(

Soldato
I loved the scares myself, it'd freak me out then I'd quick-load just to experience it again. They did a great job of letting you fall back into "generic corridor shooter" mode only to sneak- up on you with the horror elements again. Second one had some excellent moments too (the school corridor comes to mind), don't think I ever played the third one though.

Soldato
I loved the original FEAR, I sat and completed it and I'm someone who tends to lose interest in single player games quite quickly. I didn't think the sequels were half as good, they felt like they were designed for consoles where as the original felt like a proper PC shooter. The Horror elements were also very well done.

Back
Top Bottom