PlayStation 4 Pro in-bound

Soldato
Best thing to try is install an SSD and fill it up to capacity and run it for a few days and see how it goes....

My 850 Evo became gradually slower the more it filled up until it was considerably slower than a mech drive. I also had quite a few errors as well. This was on PS4 the drive runs perfect in my laptop.

If the Pro is using the USB bus for its Sata connection this could impact potential performance too.

Noticed this too, I've had 2TB Pro SSD's and a range of 2TB HDD's in my PS4's, while the SSD is way way faster to begin with, it does seem to slow over time. Especially when near capacity. But this could just be getting 'used' to the extra speed of SSD. Modern SSD's do have garbage collection built in, so this may help regardless. But the biggest drawback of SSD is cost. a 1TB / 2TB SSD can cost more than the console themselves xD

The best option is a 2TB HDD the latest models have large platters (Faster than stock HDD) and are very power efficient.

Currently the external HDD to buy is >>> Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - Black (2.5")

The drive inside is >>> Seagate ST2000LM007

More about the HDD here, http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...ve-for-laptops

Last edited:
Associate
They might add it at a later point, but given all their current SKUs come with HDDs and will probably never come with SSDs, I doubt it's a huge priority.

If it's anything like the regular PS4, the performance improvements won't be worth the cost anyway. A decent fast HDD or SSHD is the way to go.

TRIM isn't needed on a modern SSD anyway, the drive controller handles it.

Also the SSD improvements on the new PS4 pro are rather significant, Bloodborne loads incredibly quickly compared to my old PS4 and GTA4 also much faster.

Definitely worth the upgrade.

Soldato
Started on shadows if mordor having only played about 20 mins of it on pc before. My thoughts are that if this is what a £350 console can deliver then I am finished with pc gaming. This game is beautiful!

Caporegime
Started on shadows if mordor having only played about 20 mins of it on pc before. My thoughts are that if this is what a £350 console can deliver then I am finished with pc gaming. This game is beautiful!

Is it already patched then?

I know what you are saying about PC gaming. I can't see me spending thousands on top cpu's, GPU's and monitors anymore.

We have hit the point finally where fantastic performance has become cheap enough to severely narrow the gap to almost unnoticeable levels between a £300 console and a £1200 PC. And also TV's have become amazing, even at a budget. I think PC gaming might really start to struggle soon.

The line up of games this and next year smashes the PC lineup as well.

Last edited:
Soldato

I know what you are saying about PC gaming. I can't see me spending thousands on top cpu's, GPU's and monitors anymore.

We have hit the point finally where fantastic performance has become cheap enough to severely narrow the gap to almost unnoticeable levels between a £300 console and a £1200 PC. And also TV's have become amazing, even at a budget. I think PC gaming might really start to struggle soon.

Someone's been driving too much of the Sony coolade :p

Soldato

I know I'm in the console section but no, just no.

Soldato
Just plugged in my old HDMi, when I press the button on my TV it says it's currently running in UHD 3840x2160/60p that's just on the home menu, does that mean it's working?

Soldato
Just plugged in my old HDMi, when I press the button on my TV it says it's currently running in UHD 3840x2160/60p that's just on the home menu, does that mean it's working?

You mean an old HDMI cable? if so yes as long as it is high speed it will work fine..

Soldato
TRIM isn't needed on a modern SSD anyway, the drive controller handles it.

Also the SSD improvements on the new PS4 pro are rather significant, Bloodborne loads incredibly quickly compared to my old PS4 and GTA4 also much faster.

Definitely worth the upgrade.

No its not bud - TRIM requires OS AND Controller support. The PS4 OS doesn't support it so it won't work.

I'd recommend an SSHD over an SSD anyday for the ps4. Much cheaper and the performance difference is still noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom