PlayStation 4 Pro in-bound

Soldato
I've gone for the Pro with WipeOut and HZD. Helped buy a very good trade in for my old Ps4 bundle (game, extra controller and camera).

HZD looks great, but I'm only just getting into it. So far the Pro is much quieter than my original PS4.
Where did you trade it in and what was the deal? Thinking of doing the same thing.

Associate
My ps4 pro has noticeably audio fan noise since day 1, Uncharted 4 etc always made fans ramp up but recently even the likes of fifa make it run full pelt

Caporegime
My ps4 pro has noticeably audio fan noise since day 1, Uncharted 4 etc always made fans ramp up but recently even the likes of fifa make it run full pelt
It's a mid-range PC in a very small case, and the quality/assembly of the cooling inside probably isn't great either, so it's to be expected I guess.

Soldato
Where did you trade it in and what was the deal? Thinking of doing the same thing.

I got the deal in my local Game store. I had checked online first but the deal for HZD and Wipeout wasn't advertised. I happened to pop into the shop and saw this deal was available.

My original PS4 pack included a game, unused camera and extra controller, so they gave me extra ££s when I traded the whole bundle in (around £190).

Even with hot temps and my PS4 in an enclosed unit (plently of airflow to the sides and back), its still dead quiet compared to my old PS4. Luck of the draw perhaps.

Oh and I've recently hooked the Pro up to a new av receiver. HZD in 4K with HDR... awesome!

Soldato
Awesome! I've got a release day console that came with the camera, 2 controllers and Killzone 4. Will check my local Game on the weekend and see what they offer me. Thanks :)

Caporegime
Has anyone here gone from a standard PS4 to a PS4 Pro on a 1080P display? If so, did you notice any benefits, was it worth the upgrade?

Personally, no. I can't tell any difference in any game when it comes to supersampling except one, Rise of the Tomb Raider. And the fact that Sony doesn't have a system-wide implementation of supersampling means sometimes you don't even get the option. But I have heard on the grapevine that that feature is coming in a future firmware update to keep in line with the Xbone.

I would check this list at Neogaf. See which games you are interested in and what improvements the Pro brings to them.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1324251

And even with other features like Ambient Occlusion or better shadows/lighting are not even noticeable unless you are shown by Digital Foundry in a comparison video and even then they don't make much difference. As for improve frame rates, I think that could be a benefit but you're probably just getting 30fps instead of 25fps on base PS4 and 60fps instead of 50fps.

I'm thinking of flogging mine whilst it's still got 6 months guarantee left.

V F

V F

Soldato
Personally, no. I can't tell any difference in any game when it comes to supersampling except one, Rise of the Tomb Raider. And the fact that Sony doesn't have a system-wide implementation of supersampling means sometimes you don't even get the option. But I have heard on the grapevine that that feature is coming in a future firmware update to keep in line with the Xbone.

I would check this list at Neogaf. See which games you are interested in and what improvements the Pro brings to them.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1324251

And even with other features like Ambient Occlusion or better shadows/lighting are not even noticeable unless you are shown by Digital Foundry in a comparison video and even then they don't make much difference. As for improve frame rates, I think that could be a benefit but you're probably just getting 30fps instead of 25fps on base PS4 and 60fps instead of 50fps.

I'm thinking of flogging mine whilst it's still got 6 months guarantee left.

That was what made me think better wait for the PS5.

Associate
Hi Guys, asked this question in the regular PS4 chat and didn't get an answer.

I've got the original shape 1tb PS4 and I'm debating swapping out for a PS4 Pro as part of a birthday gift, I do have a 4k HDR TV but is this a worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Hi Guys, asked this question in the regular PS4 chat and didn't get an answer.

I've got the original shape 1tb PS4 and I'm debating swapping out for a PS4 Pro as part of a birthday gift, I do have a 4k HDR TV but is this a worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

I updated my standard PS4 to a Pro on launch. It depends on your personal preference. For me: More Stable Framerates > HDR > Resolution

HDR does add a lot to games like Uncharted and The Last of Us

Edit: but yes 100% worth the upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom