PlayStation 4 Pro in-bound

Associate
Everything I've quoted was posted in this thread. :p

More off-topic: oh boy my memory is worse than I thought it was lol.

http://strawpoll.me/7228112/r

An update on the strawpoll, not many folks have used it (after I posted it in these forums), mainly because it got kicked off the PS4 sub-reddit as folks thought I was inferring that everything mentioned in the poll was fact (I contacted a mod and they mentioned it was dead due to the lack of traction from that misunderstanding). Thus I've reposted it in /r/Gaming with a better title for more answers, the bigger the dataset, the better the speculation.

From the handful of feedback so far, it seems that most people who currently own a PS4 would buy a PS4.5 one way or the other... which is odd. But the dataset is small so I'm just chalking it up to the few folks who answered to be not representative of everyone.

That's my snide attempt to steer things back to 'on-topic' ;)

Permabanned
Roll back on topic indeed, So you know what i was thinking last night? How much of a waste this console is apart from an excuse for PR and a UHD Blu-Ray drive.

Is there any reason though considering both MS and Sony run on DX12? Do they not support SFR? So basically all they needed to do was give the ability to multi-link consoles. It should in theory be simple and incredibly effective. For example Uncharted etc simply need to re-do the Resolution support and HUD and you are done. Because if you need a 4x jump for 4K you basically link four consoles? And with SFR the screen goes into a split rendering mode where they each render a corner of the screen as it would be split into four.

It can easily split into two for 30fps games where someone wants 60fps, Simply link two consoles and you have it. And there is no reason why an external Sony UHD drive could not be put into production either. All in all it is sitting waiting for someone to implement instead of a whole re-working. Someone should ask them why take a complicated and expensive route instead of DX12 SFR where everyone can be included and no ones console is suddenly "outdated" as someone said.

Last edited:
Soldato
So the suggestion is to instead of people buying an upgraded console, they buy a 2nd, 3rd and 4th PS4? It is nice in theory but unless you can do this through distributed computing it wouldn't make sense.

Sony just need to offer an upgrade program and they will be sorted.

Soldato
The idea of linking consoles to increase their power is actually already proven as possible; both PS2 and PS3 supported networking the consoles although I think this was only used in games like Gran Turismo to enable output to multiple monitors.

I think it's safe to say that's definitely not going to be happening with whatever PS4k is. :p

Soldato
Roll back on topic indeed, So you know what i was thinking last night? How much of a waste this console is apart from an excuse for PR and a UHD Blu-Ray drive.

Is there any reason though considering both MS and Sony run on DX12? Do they not support SFR? So basically all they needed to do was give the ability to multi-link consoles. It should in theory be simple and incredibly effective. For example Uncharted etc simply need to re-do the Resolution support and HUD and you are done. Because if you need a 4x jump for 4K you basically link four consoles? And with SFR the screen goes into a split rendering mode where they each render a corner of the screen as it would be split into four.

It can easily split into two for 30fps games where someone wants 60fps, Simply link two consoles and you have it. And there is no reason why an external Sony UHD drive could not be put into production either. All in all it is sitting waiting for someone to implement instead of a whole re-working. Someone should ask them why take a complicated and expensive route instead of DX12 SFR where everyone can be included and no ones console is suddenly "outdated" as someone said.

so you want people to buy two consoles for VR ? You really think that's the best approach?

Soldato
I think I would prefer if they left it a good few years before releasing another console. I think most would feel a little cheated. I'm sure they would still sell well.

Associate
This?

Earlier this year, rumors began to fly that Sony would release an upgraded version of the PlayStation 4, a console often called the PS4.5 or the PS4K by fans and press. Today, multiple sources have confirmed for us details of the project, which is internally referred to as the NEO. No price was provided, but previous reports indicate that the NEO would sell at $399. At time of publishing, Sony has not returned our request for comment, but we will update this story if the company responds.

The NEO will feature a higher clock speed than the original PS4, an improved GPU, and higher bandwidth on the memory. The documents we've received note that the HDD in the NEO is the same as that in the original PlayStation 4, but it's not clear if that means in terms of capacity or connection speed. Starting in October, every PS4 game is required to ship with both a “Base Mode” which will run on the currently available PS4 and a “NEO Mode” for use on the new console.

Games running in NEO mode will be able to use the hardware upgrades (and an additional 512 MiB in the memory budget) to offer increased and more stable frame rate and higher visual fidelity, at least when those games run at 1080p on HDTVs. The NEO will also support 4K image output, but games themselves are not required to be 4K native.

In the documents we’ve received, Sony offers suggestions for reaching 4K/UltraHD resolutions for NEO mode game builds, but they're also giving developers a degree of freedom with how to approach this. 4K TV owners should expect the NEO to upscale games to fit the format, but one place Sony is unwilling to bend is on frame rate. Throughout the documents, Sony repeatedly reminds developers that the frame rate of games in NEO Mode must meet or exceed the frame rate of the game on the original PS4 system.

The NEO will not supplant the current PS4, but will exist alongside of it and use the same user environment. The PS4 and NEO will use the same PSN store, connect to the same online communities, and offer the same user experience, so expect to see the same cross media bar that you’re used to. Players will be able to retain all of the purchases they made on the PS4.

You can get the rest here, if all this is old news then a mod can just delete this.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/sources-the-upgraded-playstation-4-is-codenamed-ne/1100-5437/

Soldato
From what I have read it will have the same gaming performance as the PS4 just a die shrink on the CPU/GPU and will have a 4K Blu-Ray, HDMI 2.0 port, 1 gb/s dual band wireless and a dedicated hardware HEVC H.265 processor..... ?

Until Sony step up and announce anything it's all guess work and rumours.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Nope the specs are increased

Original PS4

CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 1.6 GHz
GPU: AMD GCN, 18 CUs at 800 MHz
Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 176 GB/s

NEO
CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1 GHz
GPU: Improved AMD GCN, 36 CUs at 911 MHz
Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s

Soldato
Nope the specs are increased

Original PS4

CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 1.6 GHz
GPU: AMD GCN, 18 CUs at 800 MHz
Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 176 GB/s

NEO
CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1 GHz
GPU: Improved AMD GCN, 36 CUs at 911 MHz
Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s

It's not confirmed though so still a rumour really until Sony announce it officially. Claiming to have seen leaked documents is not really proof of it being real.

I hope they do give it a boost as I will order one.

Back
Top Bottom