PlayStation 4 Pro in-bound

Soldato
Meh clickbait.

Gameplay has to be identical on PS4 and PS4 pro, so you have to build your game to run all the CPU-intensive gameplay stuff on the standard PS4 hardware....you just have a load of extra GPU and some extra CPU headroom to make things look better.

Associate
Hater fluff.

Fanboyism.

Digital Foundry are generally revered for their technical analysis, but suddenly they're irrelevant for daring to question the PS4 Pro's limitations?

We can confirm that the reports are correct. Rise of the Tomb Raider has three different modes in the PS4 Pro version only: a 4K30 presentation with HDR support that strikes an impressive balance between visual features and resolution, a 1080p30 mode that ramps up quality settings to the max and an unlocked frame-rate mode for 1080p that sees performance vary between 40-60fps (we assume that this will be down to CPU bottlenecks), rather like Tomb Raider Definitive Edition on the standard PlayStation 4.

The PS4 Pro is not the be-all and end-all.

Soldato
The PS4 Pro is not the be-all and end-all.

No-one's saying it is.

Clickbait fluff saying 'The PS4 Pro is CPU-bottlenecked' is just fluff.

Take a game that was built for 30fps on CPU X and GPU A (pushing the limits of both), and run it on CPU Y and GPU B and expect it to just magically run at the limits of the new hardware? Of course it's not.

The PS4 Pro has proportionally more GPU than CPU horsepower, but it's only 'bottlenecked' if that game was written to be bottlenecked.

Soldato
When I get the Pro, i'm thinking about how best to arrange the PSN account structure.

The plan is to move my current PS4 to the living room TV for my son to use and have the Pro at the desk to replace it.

Would it be best to keep the current PS4 as the Primary console and then log into the PS4 Pro?

Just thinking about how my son will use the content saved on my account.

If for instance I were to buy Minecraft, would we both be able to play at the same time this way?

Soldato
If his account is on the primary console for your account then he'll be able to play all of your downloaded games and you will be able to play at the same time but he would have to be logged into his account.

Soldato
How does that apply to sub-accounts?

It should be exactly the same as a sub-account is just regular account with limitations.

So you leave the current PS4 as your Primary console. Your son logs into their sub-account and is then able to play any digital games that you account owns.

You then log in to the PS4 Pro as yourself and can also play your games. The caveat being that your need a permanent Internet connection to be able to play your digital games; so if your Internet goes down or PSN has issues your games will only be playable on the original PS4.

Soldato
Was at EGX today, unless all the PS4 were Pro's or the PSVR was running on one. I didn't see a PS4 Pro playable. Only in a plastic case for show.

But there was one running on a big Sony HDR all bells and whistles 4K TV. The same demo they showed at the announcement. I wasn't impressed to be honest, by all means its looks great, lovely vivid colours but I was abit "meh" The frame rate dropping didn't help either. I asked my friend to give his opinion, he thought the same as me. Maybe its the PC gamer inside us...i dont know.

We are keeping our pre-orders though. Its a new console release so we cant help ourselves :D (neither of us have 4K TV either and wont for awhile yet!)

Soldato
Was at EGX today, unless all the PS4 were Pro's or the PSVR was running on one. I didn't see a PS4 Pro playable. Only in a plastic case for show.

But there was one running on a big Sony HDR all bells and whistles 4K TV. The same demo they showed at the announcement. I wasn't impressed to be honest, by all means its looks great, lovely vivid colours but I was abit "meh" The frame rate dropping didn't help either. I asked my friend to give his opinion, he thought the same as me. Maybe its the PC gamer inside us...i dont know.

We are keeping our pre-orders though. Its a new console release so we cant help ourselves :D (neither of us have 4K TV either and wont for awhile yet!)

I think the 1080p space is what will get the most attention, I really do. Soon as they realise how underpowered it is.

Maybe not directly, but in games such as BF1 on Conquest where it starts to chug when things are going down.... will be less of an issue on the Pro. That isn't part of the game engine, it's the hardware struggling.

Last edited:
Associate

I think the 1080p space is what will get the most attention, I really do. Soon as they realise how underpowered it is.

Maybe not directly, but in games such as BF1 on Conquest where it starts to chug when things are going down.... will be less of an issue on the Pro. That isn't part of the game engine, it's the hardware struggling.
Pretty much my thinking, bouncing between getting a "new" original ps4 and waiting on the ps4 pro, I'm only really wanting it for some of the exclusives I've missed like uncharted 4, and the odd FIFA/PES but any other games most likely be on PC :rolleyes:

Associate
Pretty much my thinking, bouncing between getting a "new" original ps4 and waiting on the ps4 pro, I'm only really wanting it for some of the exclusives I've missed like uncharted 4, and the odd FIFA/PES but any other games most likely be on PC :rolleyes:

In that case I'd pick up a PS4 now. If you get it from somewhere flexible with returns, you can always return it if you change your mind about the Pro over the next couple of weeks.

Soldato
Can i go to Game ... buy 5 copies of fifa 12 for 50p and then trade my PS4 in with my 5 games ? :D

Nope

PS4 Pro Trade-In Offer Terms and Conditions

TERMS AND CONDITIONS: Offer valid from 10th November 2016 until 16th November 2016. Purchase a new PlayStation Pro 1TB for £174.99 (normal price £349.99) when you trade-in an original PlayStation 4 500GB (B Grade or above) plus 5 different PlayStation 4 games (excluding FIFA 14 and FIFA 15) and use the total trade-in value received against such purchase. Offer available in store only. Ask staff for details of grading or to find out what your console is worth. Trade-in must be completed in the same transaction as purchase. A Game reward account is required to participate. Game reserves the right to refuse anyone believed to be representing a trade customer. Game trade-in terms and conditions and Game Reward terms and conditions apply please see http://www.game.co.uk for details. Trade in and cash prices are subject to change. The offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer, or with the We Won't Be Beaten policy. Store manager's decision is final.

Back
Top Bottom