Plex pc specs

The issue here isn't the audio transcoding, it's the subtitles leading to software video transcoding.
Is that what the issue is. My NAS will be stuttering and saying it's at like 20% turn subtitles off and it's fine.
I worry a DIY Plex/NAS would be too power hungry, we use Plex a lot.

Last edited:
The issue here isn't the audio transcoding, it's the subtitles leading to software video transcoding.
Is that what the issue is. My NAS will be stuttering and saying it's at like 20% turn subtitles off and it's fine.
I worry a DIY Plex/NAS would be too power hungry, we use Plex a lot.

Depends entirely on what format of subtitles your client can support.

If it can't support the format you've provided then it forces a transcode to "burn in" the subtitles.

"Fatter" clients like Android, Linux and Windows desktop clients and most Apple Devices can natively play e.g. PGS subtitles, but things like Roku and a lot of TV Clients won't necessarily (or have other restrictions e.g. they won't unless it's also receiving a certain audio or container format)

Edit:
If you want the best experience/least amount of hassle then a more expensive client like the NVIDIA Shield is still the way to go

Last edited:
Depends entirely on what format of subtitles your client can support.

If it can't support the format you've provided then it forces a transcode to "burn in" the subtitles.

"Fatter" clients like Android, Linux and Windows desktop clients and most Apple Devices can natively play e.g. PGS subtitles, but things like Roku and a lot of TV Clients won't necessarily (or have other restrictions e.g. they won't unless it's also receiving a certain audio or container format)

Edit:
If you want the best experience/least amount of hassle then a more expensive client like the NVIDIA Shield is still the way to go
Got one of those, ended up in the drawer because it doesn't have all4 on it.

Pretty sure last time I played something I forced direct play and it still buffered with subtitles and it said it was direct playing both video and audio.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom