Police Corruption

Permabanned
I got a couple of close friends in the Wilshire and the Sussex Constabularies respectively...and they are both as dodgy as hell. ;)

Associate
I know a few in Hampshire Constabulary, too. I'll have to ask them about this.

They might even let you know if you're wanted ;)

All joking aside I couldn't believe this when I heard it, I suppose one positive is that this one case of a small minority in the force and that on the whole our police is generally pretty good

Soldato
To be honest, without complete access to information on police corruption then the same data for every single other profession it would be impossible to say if they are anymore corrupt than any other group.

My only concern with police is that they have power, which in itself tends to lend towards corruption (much like politician's or the military) - but all of those groups will also have a number of honest & good members with the best intentions so it would be silly to tar them with the same brush.

The one point I do think is that for any group which is given trust or power, abuse of that power or trust should be dealt with a much stronger hand than the general population (which doesn't always seem to happen) - as without it public confidence in the institutions will falter.

Soldato
A dealer in the area I live in openly boasts about having a inside contacts that call him before a raid. It is common knowledge and the whole neighbourhood knows about it. I know many people have complained to everyone up to the police complaints and parliament.

All information gets back to him and he remains a bold as brass.

I lost confidence in the Police a long time ago because of this.

Permabanned
In before the hurfdurf.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-23548877

This is a little close to home tbh, but the silver lining is that she was caught because other officers became concerned about her actions and reported her to professional standards. So at least the accusation that the corruption is endemic doesn't hold water.

Institutional racism, corruption, rabble rabble rabble.

Is there nothing our police force is above?? :mad::mad::mad:

love you really Burnsy ;)
On a serious note, it's sad that it comes to this sometimes, but as in any profession you get a few bad apples. I work in financial services and the vast majority of us are actually looking to do the best we can by our clients, but it's always the bad apples, the scumbags and the shysters that give the rest of us a bad rep. I suspect it is the same in the police force.

Soldato
Institutional racism, corruption, rabble rabble rabble.
On a serious note, it's sad that it comes to this sometimes, but as in any profession you get a few bad apples. I work in financial services and the vast majority of us are actually looking to do the best we can by our clients, but it's always the bad apples, the scumbags and the shysters that give the rest of us a bad rep. I suspect it is the same in the police force.[/size]
Strangely the research on the subject of honesty is that most people will cheat, lie & steal (but only in very small amounts), it's a tiny minority who go the whole hog & throw away the rulebook - but the combined impact of the smaller actions greatly out-weights that of the serial offenders (due to it's sheer volume).

Interesting video on the subject.

Permabanned
Strangely the research on the subject of honesty is that most people will cheat, lie & steal (but only in very small amounts), it's a tiny minority who go the whole hog & throw away the rulebook - but the combined impact of the smaller actions greatly out-weights that of the serial offenders (due to it's sheer volume).

Interesting video on the subject.

And yet evolution does not favour those with selfish traits, apparently.

Cracking vid by the way, I really like their stuff. :)

Soldato
And yet evolution does not favour those with selfish traits, apparently.

Cracking vid by the way, I really like their stuff. :)
Yeah, it's all about moderation really - beyond a certain level it's not possible to rationalise the behaviour.

Reciprocal altruism would have yielded massive benefits for early man, so makes sense really - but it does open the door on a few debates about what constitutes default human behaviour (which many believe is selfish) - personally I don't think it's either, we simple adapt to what works in our environment.

The sad thing is, the data implies most people are at least reasonably dishonest - but it's not just the police included in that to be fair.

Always liked the RSA talks - the animates just focus on some of the key ones. TED has as many, but the topics in the RSA are usually better - most certainly worth watching them all mind.

Man of Honour
A dealer in the area I live in openly boasts about having a inside contacts that call him before a raid. It is common knowledge and the whole neighbourhood knows about it. I know many people have complained to everyone up to the police complaints and parliament.

All information gets back to him and he remains a bold as brass.

I lost confidence in the Police a long time ago because of this.

I'm sorry to hear that. Personally, I'd turn the bent cop in. Do you know who the alleged cop is ?

Permabanned
Yeah, it's all about moderation really - beyond a certain level it's not possible to rationalise the behaviour.

Reciprocal altruism would have yielded massive benefits for early man, so makes sense really - but it does open the door on a few debates about what constitutes default human behaviour (which many believe is selfish) - personally I don't think it's either, we simple adapt to what works in our environment.

The sad thing is, the data implies most people are at least reasonably dishonest - but it's not just the police included in that to be fair.

Always liked the RSA talks - the animates just focus on some of the key ones. TED has as many, but the topics in the RSA are usually better - most certainly worth watching them all mind.

See, despite the fact you're a filthy commie, you have a good head on you which confuses my ultra right wing programming. :p

I can understand that there is a temptation for most people to exhibit selfish traits on a day to day basis, to a certain degree it makes some sense insofar as the self-preservation aspect goes. But then you could take it back a step to the nature vs nurture debate. For example, I actively shy away from selfishness where it isn't 'true' and I'd wager that any psychiatrist worth their fee would put that on the influence I had from family growing up.

In fact, it's usually to a (costly) fault.

Back
Top Bottom