Politically correct term for 'chinese whispers'

Caporegime
Crazy, it’s amazing how many things we are changing to avoid triggering these people.

It’s like the midwives in Brighton who have been told to use the term chestfeeding rather than breastfeeding as it’s more trans friendly

Soldato
I had no idea that was the origin of chinese whispers. I assumed it was some sort of slur on their honesty, the original message is lost due to embellishment sort of thing.

Never heard of broken telephone

Soldato
This came up recently. Everyone knows this expression but is unacceptable to use in the work place, eleven more so around Chinese people. There really needs to be a modern term that portrays the same meaning, is understood by people but is not offensive. They are constant adding new expressions to English language so why not make one up??!

People really are quite pathetic these days.

Soldato
Crazy, it’s amazing how many things we are changing to avoid triggering these people.

I think you should really change your attitude. It's not "we" as in "those who are changing" and "they" who are causing you to. Everyone is we. We (as in everyone) has been changing language to conform to new social norms since before the cavemen. If you don't like it, there's not much point in complaining about it. Just carry on using it. Or don't. It will die out, or it won't.

What else do you do? Force everyone to say Chinese whispers in a mantra to keep it going?

Caporegime
I think you should really change your attitude. It's not "we" as in "those who are changing" and "they" who are causing you to. Everyone is we. We (as in everyone) has been changing language to conform to new social norms since before the cavemen. If you don't like it, there's not much point in complaining about it. Just carry on using it. Or don't. It will out.
Ok, fair do’s, I’ll carry on saying it.

Soldato
Ok, fair do’s, I’ll carry on saying it.

:cool: I like saying **** a lot. And ****. I wouldn't say either of them or words like them in certain social circumstances. There's not much difference is there?

I wouldn't say Chinese (or any other nationality or race) in a negative way in a professional capacity where I thought it might reflect badly. Same as ****ing **** bags for example. Or *****.

Nor would I say Chinese whispers in a conversation whilst waiting in a queue in the local Happy Dragon take away.

Capodecina
Soldato
It’s like the midwives in Brighton who have been told to use the term chestfeeding rather than breastfeeding as it’s more trans friendly

I raged.

But wait... how do trans people without breasts feed zirs children?

I can't believe I actually had to type that sentence.

Back
Top Bottom