Politically correct term for 'chinese whispers'

Caporegime
You used to hear the term "Chinese Snooker" in Snooker broadcasts whenever the situation arose. Now they rarely ever say it due to how popular the game is in China.

Caporegime
You used to hear the term "Chinese Snooker" in Snooker broadcasts whenever the situation arose. Now they rarely ever say it due to how popular the game is in China.

What's ironic is they still say English in Sky's pool coverage which is the American term for spin.

Caporegime
something no one saw as racist at all, never crossed their mind suddenly becomes racist because of some woke beep. who decides to interpret history to their own narrative
but do you have white privilege ? if your white regardless of your background and upbringing you have it.

you just haven't been brainwashed yet.

I wouldn't dare presume your gender but if your identify as male you also that privilege

Caporegime
Why? Do they find it offensive?

That doesn’t really matter these days, it’s more whether some SJW lunatic can act offended on the behalf of others.

See also things like “Latinx” a term most Hispanic people in the US aren’t familiar with and those that are overwhelmingly don’t seem to like... but it’s the default “woke” term for that group now.

Likewise, see the recent news story re: Brighton and new mothers parents of any gender “chest feeding”.

Man of Honour

It's more that the author of that article is using irrational prejudice to attract attention to themself and get some work from it.

Couple of random points - the author says that women are a race. The author also repeats the silly propaganda about "rule of thumb" which makes no sense at all, despite knowing that the false etymology explicitly requires the existence of time travel by placing the "origin" of the phrase to centuries after it was used in extant writing (and, of course, it's probably older than that - that's just the oldest surviving written use of it). Then there's the idea that 'itis', an extremely common ending for a medical problem (it means "swollen, inflamed") is racist when used to refer to an unspecified disease. Etc, etc.

The simplest solution is to do what people promoting this sort of thing want - target the biological group identity they consider to be the most inferior. Change every phrase to "cisgender straight white men are ****" and all the complaints would stop, at least until they could figure out a way they could make it worse.

Commissario
Well when it started everyone was calling it "Chinese coronavirus". But they dropped the "Chinese" bit after Xi the Pooh kicked off about it :D
Not really most people I know were calling it coronovirus or covid as that was enough to say what it was (whilst "chinese coronavirus" is no more correct and harder to say and the time between it emerging and getting the techical and correct name was really rather short and covid/covid 19 was still easier to say)...

As for Chinese Whispers I always thought it referred to how information was spread and changed in the old Chinese imperial courts where speaking openly about certain things could get you killed

Soldato
Could be worse, the company you work for could be bought out by a large multi-national who install something called a 'equality & diversity officer' who drags you before management because they've eavesdropped on overheard you having a conversation with a mate where you refer to your Transit van as a 'tranny'. I **** you not!

Caporegime
Where I work it causes some consternation - someone mentions it in a formal context now and again and there is a moment of everyone drawing their breath, bit of looking around uncertainly, no one quite sure if it is a problem or not.

It is sad in this day and age people can't figure out whether there is intent to be offensive or not.

It doesn't matter if there was intent. If it caused offense is enough for it to be a problem.

Well that's what our diversity and inclusion training taught us.

Man of Honour
Where I work it causes some consternation - someone mentions it in a formal context now and again and there is a moment of everyone drawing their breath, bit of looking around uncertainly, no one quite sure if it is a problem or not.

It is sad in this day and age people can't figure out whether there is intent to be offensive or not.

The ideology requires that intent is considered irrelevant. Context is also required to be considered irrelevant. Meaning is required to be considered irrelevant. The only thing that is to be considered relevant is obedience to the ideology and submission to anyone deemed to be a higher status group identity than you (or a devout follower of the ideology claiming to be speaking for a higher status group identity than you).

Soldato
Won't be allowed to speak soon.

There would be some that would accept that as a desirable outcome. Those whose goal is to deconstruct the existing systems (and all its ISMs they think) through making almost everything they dislike "problematic".

To keep on topic - I wouldn't use "Chinese Whispers" in the workplace. I'd use "lost in translation" for now until that's deemed a problem by someone out to catch us all out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom