• Lib Dem

• UKIP

• Other (please state)

• I won't be voting

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
As in too many MP's for population? If that's what you mean it does need looked at especially considering they have their own elected parliament now as well.

Only by ~11% though, so taking away 6 seats is easy enough. Going by average constituency size in England vs population vs seats.

Soldato
Given the situation you'd expect the Lib Dems to go it all guns blazing - but around here and the neighbouring areas its turned into what is basically a shambles like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-39690628

Really buying a house and its too much work? why was she even in politics.

They really need to get their act together and fast.

My local party are hopeless.

It's run by a bunch of 60+ SDP refugees who ignore the new members that have joined since 2010. We're running with the same failed candidates. The same failed election strategy. They've never won a seat, but won't listen to suggestions from outside their clique.

I got fed up during the 2015 election. I don't have much contact with the local party now. I'm spending my time helping the national campaign instead; I'll go where I'm needed, when I have spare time.

There's every chance my vote will go to the existing Tory MP, as it did in 2010 and 2015. I'm content enough to vote for the most deserving candidate, which he has been for the past two elections.

Associate
Im voting conservative because i don't really care about the poor or disabled and i don't care much for the nhs either as i've got private health care.

Found it quite funny when the conservatives shut down sure start centres and cut disability benefit a few years ago, just a shame that the house of lords stopped us from cutting child benefit.

I'm sure when we win a big majority we can then focus on reducing the house of lords. Opposition is not needed in this day and age

Wow zero empathy shown here. Glad not everybody in the UK think the same selfish thoughts as you.

Heaven for bid should he lose his job and never need the NHS

Satire. This is how the tory mindset is and what they have achieved but everyone is so oblivious to their cruelty.

Associate
Only by ~11% though, so taking away 6 seats is easy enough. Going by average constituency size in England vs population vs seats.

yep think its overdone by 6-8 seats, might not seem much but it's 10% to much, especially given they have their own as well

I'd also like to see a ban on the scots MP's being able to vote on matters that only concern england, how insane they can interfere

Soldato
Somewhat reluctantly I have provisionally opted for Labour. Even though as stated previously I have no love for the left wing ethos and Corbyn in particular I cannot in all honesty vote for a Tory party which, freed from EU constraints, will likely trample the rights and pensions of normal working people into the ground at the earliest opportunity.

Soldato
Somewhat reluctantly I have provisionally opted for Labour. Even though as stated previously I have no love for the left wing ethos and Corbyn in particular I cannot in all honesty vote for a Tory party which, freed from EU constraints, will likely trample the rights and pensions of normal working people into the ground at the earliest opportunity.

But our pensions have already been trampled on. There's no company in the FTSE 100 that now offers a final salary pension and many other big companies are closing or have closed any sort of defined benefit scheme to new comers, state pensions have been nerffed time and time again over the last 17 years, annuity rates are at an all time low. The best pension news we had was Georgre Osborne plan to allow people to take out all of their retirement money from their pension plans, from there they could invest it in financial products that offered much better returns.

Soldato
Im voting conservative because i don't really care about the poor or disabled and i don't care much for the nhs either as i've got private health care.

Found it quite funny when the conservatives shut down sure start centres and cut disability benefit a few years ago, just a shame that the house of lords stopped us from cutting child benefit.

I'm sure when we win a big majority we can then focus on reducing the house of lords. Opposition is not needed in this day and age
Oh really :rolleyes:

Soldato
You might have got that the wrong way around: in some places the Tories are the only alternative to the SNP.

That's my thought process at the moment, although as the polls show wavering support for independence it's now being spun that this isn't about independence. Just like the 2015 claim of a vote for the SNP isn't a vote for independence or another independence referendum :rolleyes:

Caporegime
That's my thought process at the moment, although as the polls show wavering support for independence it's now being spun that this isn't about independence. Just like the 2015 claim of a vote for the SNP isn't a vote for independence or another independence referendum :rolleyes:

What about this GE not being about Brexit?

Wha? Didn't think so.

Soldato
I'd also like to see a ban on the scots MP's being able to vote on matters that only concern england, how insane they can interfere

It sounds simple enough, but it could be an utter nightmare in practice. Who decides what legislation only has an effect on England, with no knock-on effects on devolved regions? What checks are in place to ensure the rule isn't abused in order to pass bills that simply don't have enough support? What happens if a government doesn't have a majority in England? Could an opposition that does hold a majority in England pass legislation that interferes with UK-wide legislation passed by the government?

It makes more sense to give England its own devolved parliament(s), keeping the Westminster government separate. With every region of the UK represented by devolved parliaments, Westminster could be downsized, and would have a much clearer and more balanced role as the UK government. At the moment the Scots/Welsh/Irish resent Westminster as they see it as English dominated, and the English resent the input the Scots/Welsh/Irish have on matters that barely affect them.

Man of Honour
It sounds simple enough, but it could be an utter nightmare in practice. Who decides what legislation only has an effect on England, with no knock-on effects on devolved regions? What checks are in place to ensure the rule isn't abused in order to pass bills that simply don't have enough support? What happens if a government doesn't have a majority in England? Could an opposition that does hold a majority in England pass legislation that interferes with UK-wide legislation passed by the government?

It makes more sense to give England its own devolved parliament(s), keeping the Westminster government separate. With every region of the UK represented by devolved parliaments, Westminster could be downsized, and would have a much clearer and more balanced role as the UK government. At the moment the Scots/Welsh/Irish resent Westminster as they see it as English dominated, and the English resent the input the Scots/Welsh/Irish have on matters that barely affect them.

Actually, it's really easy. If the matter is devolved to the Scottish Parliament, then mps for Scottish constituencies don't get to vote on it.

We don't need a separate English parliament, we don't need another layer.

Caporegime
It isn't really that simple and it is flawed - as @satchef1 pointed out who decided what counts as English only issues and what about issues that directly affect England but then have a knock on effect in Scotland etc.. it is a flawed system that only partially addressed the concerns of Scottish MPs getting to vote on English issues

frankly a federal system along the lines of say Canada would be a much better solution IMO and would likely put an end to any risk of the UK breaking up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom