• Other (please state)

• I won't be voting

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
^^great post Alan.
Also v true with regards the French healthcare system.
I don't understand how they can be so much better in what they do, at virtually all levels, yet have a similar funding structure.
They are not spending massive amounts more than we do.

Associate
Caporegime
The issue is that unfortunately if you're apart of the EUROzone, then its up to all the members to keep it cosy. So if Italy being utterly useless as an economy collapses in the next decade, then it will be the fault of the EUROzone for not making sure Italy was never going to be an issue.

If the EURO worked liked it should, it wouldn't be as strong as it is, as it would be wasting vast sums of money keeping lesser economies in check... right now the only thing going on is French and German banks taking on some of the debt, rather than letting say the Greeks off with a debt relief (which the IMF has called for time and again, to the vapid refusal by profiting Germany).

Man of Honour
Instead of trying to encourage the development of a high-tech manufacturing economy (like Germany), successive UK governments have taken the easy way out by encouraging the service sector, international financial services industry, low paid/insecure employment and property speculation.

This is something that annoys me - so many talented people have moved abroad and made great products that could have been benefiting the UK instead - there seems to be quite a reluctance to invest money or take any risks in those kind of areas any more in this country.

Associate
Associate
No of course it wont.

If such conditions made people depressed then africa and more than half the world would be depressed
Africa they are all in the same boat so that is what they know the UK are not, in the UK you have images of lifestyles etc... Africa has longer sunnier days the UK does not.

Associate
Associate
French GDP is now bigger than the UK's, thanks to Brexit. The cumbersome legislation is their own, it's not imposed by the EU. The German economy is much better developed than ours; widespread high technology manufacturing and R&D, high citizen education levels, high national minimum wage and cheap house prices compared to the UK.

The French health care system is more effective than the NHS. Their state run health funding scheme works better than ours does. Germany's Gesetzliche Krankenversicherung system functions better than the NHS funding system and public health care standards in Germany are considerably higher.

We are not in the Eurozone and never will be. Irish, Portuguese and Spanish house prices fell off a cliff because of new-build oversupply and because their base rate was not slashed by the ECB to the lowest level for 321 years (unlike our base rate was by the BoE), nor did the ECB trigger several rounds of quantitative easing (as the BoE did). Our house prices dropped by at most 25% and then went right back up again. For the last decade the UK has built the lowest number of new homes each year since the 1920s, (great for property owners and the elite but bad for first-time-buyers). Instead of trying to encourage the development of a high-tech manufacturing economy (like Germany), successive UK governments have taken the easy way out by encouraging the service sector, international financial services industry, low paid/insecure employment and property speculation.

It is not the fault of the EU that ~800,000 unskilled Poles moved to the UK between 2004 and 2011. Tony Blair decided not to implement any restrictions on immigration from the countries which joined the EU in 2004. (In contrast, Germany decided not to open up to unskilled workers from Poland until 2011 and France also delayed it for several years.) EU law does require its member states to offer the same benefits to EU citizens as they do to their own (if those people satisfy certain requirements). However, EU law also states that members can force EU citizens to leave if they have no means to support themselves after 6 months.

Greece should never have even joined the Euro. It was proved that the Greek economy had not met all the five accession criteria for joining the Eurozone (as they submitted manipulated budget deficit figures). Italy has a serious problem with government corruption and the embezzlement of public funds, the EU can hardly take the blame for that.
French system is bankrupt, the Germany you have to pay and its becoming over crowded.

Soldato
Also v true with regards the French healthcare system.
I don't understand how they can be so much better in what they do, at virtually all levels, yet have a similar funding structure.
They are not spending massive amounts more than we do.

An extra 10% per person will make a massive difference for the NHS.

Soldato
Do you have any real world examples of how they have done this? I do recall them dropping tax on the top bracket by 5% I believe. But I also thought that the tax free threshold had been increased a fair bit over the last few years which benefits lower earners too? I'm not saying they do or don't do this, it's just something you see thrown around a lot against the Tories so I'd be interested in some topics for further reading.

For the overall discussion I have absolutely no idea who I will be voting for yet, I am going to have to do some research and use it tactfully I guess.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tories-cutting-education-spending-giving-10009282

Try that for starters, but there are plenty of links that show evidence of real world decline in wages and living standards etc on Google.

Soldato
OP
An extra 10% per person will make a massive difference for the NHS.

Aye I see your point 4k per person in UK versus 4.4K per person in France, yet in France 20% of the funding is from mutual schemes or pvt schemes, in the Uk our figure isn't anywhere near as much as that.
So the difference is made by additional expenditure, but not by the state.
Even at that 10% increased funding won't slash Norn iron waiting lists to see consultants from 56 weeks down to a reasonable figure.
They must do things differently, or more efficiently.

Soldato
1: Nobody commits suicide just because they've had their benefits reduced, there are always underlying factors. It may have been the last straw but they were already headed there. Maybe if they had studied/worked harder they wouldn't have been in that situation they felt trapped in. You can't ignore the life choices people made and the events they experienced with these things and just blame the "last straw".

2: If somebody dying of cancer, dies from cancer that is not the government's fault lol. And no, having cancer doesn't instantly make you bedridden, I knew a pilot who continued passing medicals and flying well after his initial diagnosis and you can bet an aviation medical is tougher than an ATOS one (which is fairly easy).

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So because a pilot passed his super duper medical everybody else has it easy to pass the ATOS one.

You sound like that mad rapper guy on here who thinks disabled people should be killed or not looked after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom