Poll: Poll: What was your first Hard Drive Failure?

What was your first Hard Drive Failure?

• Maxtor

Votes: 212 38.4%
  • Seagate

Votes: 55 10.0%
  • Hitachi

Votes: 14 2.5%
  • IBM

Votes: 127 23.0%
  • Western Digital

Votes: 73 13.2%
  • Fujitsu-Siemens

Votes: 22 4.0%
  • Samsung

Votes: 24 4.3%
  • Other - Please state

Votes: 25 4.5%

• Total voters
I've been lucky so far and had no failures, I have had a couple of drives dropping out of Raid0 arrays in separate instances but it has never been serious since the data was relatively unimportant and the drives still work perfectly. One was a Seagate(I have not a clue about this one) and one was a Maxtor(this one was because the cable came loose in transit so I can't blame the drive).

"My First (and last) Seagate"

Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 80gb SATA - After using it as my primary download/work drive for 6 months i started getting CRC errors in files (just after i upgraded my PSU).

Checked all cabling, reformatted using SeaTools desktop seemed to fix it for a while, but the errors returned. I repeated this process 3x before i gave up. Found out the drive was OEM and can't contact supplier, so Seagate doesn't want to help me now.

I've had about 10 harddrives in my life and none failed up till now.

My only hard drive failure was a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9, 200GB, 8MB cache, PATA.

I had it on as a Slave backup HDD, one day when I switched on the computer Windows XP failed to see it, RMA'ed it and it was replaced by a WD Caviar SE 200GB PATA.

Have not bought another Maxtor HDD since! ;)

*TOUCHES WOOD* None so far.

Only problem i've had with a drive was a WD falling from my bag whilst jumping over a wall trying to take a short cut :o Fell about 5 feet but still worked ok, just goes click click click click every so often! Don't use it now though :p

My drive failure was an 80gb Maxtor - the thing started chuntering and grinding - I thought it wanted out of the case lol. That being said I have a 200GB model in my machine at the moment which seems very well behaved - good boy!

Holy Topical debate Batman my HD Died a death only last week.
No signs really. I done a defrag and it didn't reboot just kept looping. Reinstalled windows but it just got worse then died.
Pain in the batty getting your system back to how it was before the failure. Its still not there yet. How would it ffs it took me 18 months to get it how it was. Pfffff

Wanders off Muttering.

my maxtor 160gb pata just didnt switch on one day. I did nothing different at all, it made me reformat the disk and wouldnt let me just reinstall windows so i lost everything

being a poor student im still using the same hdd today lol

Think its a bit unfair looking at results as it cant prove anything, im sure some makes are much more popular and therefore many more hdds have come from these makes. Thus increasing the chance of getting a broken drive.

All the drives iv bought have died and RMA'd for replacement at some point....

40Gig Maxtor, Click of Death, died after about 4 years.

120Gig Western Digital 7200 8mb etc. (IDE), Instant death, Still using replacement

80Gig seagate 7200.7 SATA, Click of Death. Out of warrenty.

160Gig Maxtor 7200 8mb etc. (IDE) Kept loosing its partitions. Still using replacement.

Funny really i bought the Maxtor to replace the WD when it died but the maxtor died and the Seagate died before i recieved the replacement from WD so i was stuck without a PC for a week or two

Tens said:
Think its a bit unfair looking at results as it cant prove anything, im sure some makes are much more popular and therefore many more hdds have come from these makes. Thus increasing the chance of getting a broken drive.
Well, to an extent, but these manufacturers are all extremely popular, so unless you are an actuary, then the results can be indicative of a trend. The only 2 tentative makes up there are Fujitsu and Samsung, all the others have a long history in the business.

IBM Deathstar got the dreaded click of death, was a 140gb iirc. A friend has had his 80gb DM9 die about 3 times in the past 4 months, they eventually replaced it with a WD.

my first and only a 120gb maxtor sata 3 days after the warrenty had run out gutted o well never mind iv never boght them since i stick to wd now

drive: 120 maxtor sata all i can remamber

cause: unknown just bined it

Back
Top Bottom