Poll: Poll: What was your first Hard Drive Failure?

What was your first Hard Drive Failure?

• Maxtor

Votes: 212 38.4%
  • Seagate

Votes: 55 10.0%
  • Hitachi

Votes: 14 2.5%
  • IBM

Votes: 127 23.0%
  • Western Digital

Votes: 73 13.2%
  • Fujitsu-Siemens

Votes: 22 4.0%
  • Samsung

Votes: 24 4.3%
  • Other - Please state

Votes: 25 4.5%

• Total voters
never had a drive fail on me, even managed to revive one that had a pin ripped out the back, i reckon one of my hitatchi 7k250 drives are on there way out though (been making some funny sounds in the past few days, so im getting cautious)

First - IBM

Second and third - Seagate (third was replacement for second!!)

edit: have used Maxtors ever since - no probs (yet!) :D

Last edited:
First Failure:

Seagate
ST320410A maybe 20GB

3 of these died within 6months of each other they were in Tiny Pc's maybe in the mid 90's. Mostly grinding noises and intermittent bios recognition.

In between.... Lots of drives have died in 10 years. Mostly Maxtor's as that's what i've been using mostly.

Latest Failure:

Hitachi
Deskstar 7K250 : 120GB

Was making funny noises for about 6 months, whenever it would spin up or turn off from power saving. Finally died yesterday morning with un-backed up data on it. Lessons learned? Don't get complacent, if a drive's making funny noises don't get used to them. Swap it out as soon as possible.

Last edited:
custard said:
Lessons learned? Don't get complacent, if a drive's making funny noises don't get used to them. Swap it out as soon as possible.
Now that is one lesson everyone needs to learn from this thread - if it sounds rough, back it up quick. :D

The only drive to fail on me was a 20gig maxtor, luckly it only had the page file on it as i knew the drive was failing (bad sectors etc). Ive heard so many stories about maxtor i try and avoid them, i love fujitsu drives, i have 4 of them working in diffrent PC's (2 are 10 year old 2gig drives) and they still perform like new. Quiet, fast and never had a problem!

Cant buy them now so i tend to go for seagate's.

Maxtor 120gb, drive not seen by windows, found some software that interfaced directly with the IDE controller and recovered 99% of my data. Drive replaced under warranty and replacement sold, would never buy another Maxtor after that experience.

Seagate, 40gb.
Files started going missing when using windows. Copied a load of MP3s to a folder and they disappeared.
Ran Seagate disk diagnostic and it said Faulty, return to base.

smids said:
My next purchase just might be a Hitachi :D
You know it makes sense :D - having my deathstars never put me off and Ive only recently tried out WD and their Raptor goodness - both seem to produce the faster models over other manufacturers too in the same generation too...

Just waiting for SATA2 to settle down and see what else Id like...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
I had a WD Cavier 800mb which died after 6 months, its warrenty replacemet after 5 months and the replacements replacements after another 6 months. I avoided WD for 9 years after that.

Also had 11 IBM/HGST with only one dead (DOA) - what click of death?

The only other was a DOA segate - OC mush have been emploting a monkey that month as it was packed in a massive box with one layer of bubble rap.

i've had one of pretty much everything go, but more Maxtors than anything else.

On the other hand I've had plenty of drives from all of the major manufacturers which have been flawless. One that springs to mind is a 80GB Maxtor drive running in a production server 24/7 (20,000 hours of operation ish) since August '03 and it's yet to skip a beat.

Time to go touch some wood ;)

First hard drive failure was a 2 year old Seagate, died on me last night !! Had it in an Enermax external enclosure. Worked to start with but on a reboot pc didn't see it. Retried drive in pc and nothing from it on powering up. Thankfully it was games that were on it so all that was lost was game saves, i think. :( :rolleyes:

My first one was 4 years ago was a Western Digital 150GB Drive
Was copying some files from CD

Next thing I know a Click and a Blue Screen of Death
Rebooted and the Bios could not find the drive

The Drive Firmware was Wiped off the HDD and all that was detected in the Bios was garbage

My recent two 2x 300GB Maxtor’s DM10 ATA133 (this week) Died within 40 mins and 1hour and 40mins of installing them
Was installing windows the with one would not Hold data and refused to start then did get it to after a few attempts and it Bsod on the 2nd stage of installing XP

The other allowed one Partition (60Gb to be made Installed windows to it)
However all other Partitions would not store data - Did slow Formats on them some Froze up at 7% and another one Forrmated to 100% Was Copying my files to it and it died with a BSOD

Both 300GB HDD Firmware are dead - Don’t know how
The odd thing is the S.no. are very close

WD Died yesterday

Make: Western Digital
Model: Raptor 150GB
Dead on Arrival: No...died 3 days after installation :mad:

Reason: Reports on boot up - Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Status Bad, Backup and replace. Formatted drive and fresh install of XP but on partition setup windows can only see 130gig.

My first hdd failure was a 500mb (yes that's mb ;) ) maxtor.

Lost all my Win3.11 wallpapers, doom save games and everything :mad:

Switch on the pc one day and the hdd started bouncing the heads around. I have never bought another maxtor drive or even recommended them. I was probably just unlucky with the drive or the batch it came from, but i doubt i could trust another one with my precious data. :)

It seems a few WD Raptor 150's were faulty with their spinning up, clunk spinning down problem (my vote). Anyway, look at those Hitachi figures. Seagate is understandable given how long they have been in the field. I'm surprised at Samsung though, for such a new company, they really do have a high number.

leezer3 said:
Just had a DOA Segate, replaced by another DOA Segate. Waiting for a RMA number so I can swap it for a Maxtor :mad:

-Leezer-
I really wouldn't recommend Maxtor - look into the hitachi's - faster and more reliable.

smids said:
I really wouldn't recommend Maxtor - look into the hitachi's - faster and more reliable.

I'm still not convinced that Maxtors are as bad as all that, they do have the highest number of failures out of all the hard drive manufacturers on the poll but it doesn't take into account the numbers sold or the amount of otherwise happy customers. People being naturally more likely to complain about problems than praise good service means that you don't often hear about what a company has done right.

Back
Top Bottom