Porridge, how do you take yours?

Soldato
Also should have said, never in the microwave either. The consistency is completely different microwaved rather than cooked on a stove. Not that I'm fussy about my porridge or anything :p

Soldato
1 cup of oats, full fat organic milk, double cream. Stick it in a pan. Serve with a knob of butter and a couple of tablespoons of honey. Add fruit to taste.

Soldato
Currently, 1 part Tesco Value porridge oats with 2 parts water and microwaved for 3 minutes.

When my life isn't a mess and I have milk in the fridge I still keep it fairly simple (had no idea porridge could be such a work of art until I came here!) I like to do 1 part oats to 2 full fat milk, then have with either:
Chopped banana
Dark brown soft sugar
Black Treacle (not too much)
Golden Syrup

I have tried soaking oats overnight but tbh I couldn't tell the difference so just do it at the time... although I do sometimes think excess porridge is actually improved by a day in the fridge.
I usually find cream too rich in the mornings, although occasionally I do feel like it.

edit: Oh! chopped dried apricots are super.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Getting warmer now, so switching to cereal. Have it daily over winter months though.

Is there a good reason why the OP would use a Bain-marie?

Functionally, it allows me to wake up with my alarm clock, trudge down stairs in zombie mode, chuck the ingredients in and get on with my morning routine, no baby sitting required. 40 minutes later, perfect porridge. It also helps to develop the porridge without scorching/over boiling the milk.

Nice to see lots of variation and suggestion in here!

Soldato
Gotten sick of porridge without sugar, which i need to achieve if im to lose any weight.

Moved onto scrambled egg on toast. Much more like it !

I normally have oats so simple with semi skimmed milk and a sprinkling of sweetner. Not cheapo sweetner either as that has an aftertaste i use the (Silver spoon i think) Sweetness and Light (Pink Jar) Which is really nice.

Anyway doesnt:

Oats and milk = Porridge
Oats and water = Gruel

???

Soldato
Strange thing is, porridge made with water makes me gag, but with milk..Mmmm,so creamy and good.

Especially nice with a tablespoon of either Peanut Butter or Nutella melted into it.

Soldato
Functionally, it allows me to wake up with my alarm clock, trudge down stairs in zombie mode, chuck the ingredients in and get on with my morning routine, no baby sitting required. 40 minutes later, perfect porridge. It also helps to develop the porridge without scorching/over boiling the milk.

Nice to see lots of variation and suggestion in here!

40 minutes and you're only just ready to eat breaky? That's enough time to eat, S/S/S and be out the house.

Associate
I buy porridge in bulk from my a local organic wholefood type place. I use milk and shove it in the microwave, then add a bit of honey before I eat.

I might start cooking it on the stove though, see if it alters the taste.

Back
Top Bottom