Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Bought the Mrs a Macan S as a stop gap whilst we figure out whats next. She's been looking at the new Audi Q6 EV but at the time her X5 had to go back there was no details from Audi.

Can't believe she's got into a Porsche before me.... I think I spoil her a little!!!

They are lovely motors and handle much better than they should. Would probably be on my list of combo cars if I had to chop my 320d and 981 S for a single car.

Had great fun driving one and as it’s a PDK rather than torque converter, it feels snappier than a Cayenne.

Bought the Mrs a Macan S as a stop gap whilst we figure out whats next. She's been looking at the new Audi Q6 EV but at the time her X5 had to go back there was no details from Audi.

Can't believe she's got into a Porsche before me.... I think I spoil her a little!!!

You’ve set a precedent at least!

@atomiser and @Bradmax57 - I’ve often thought of selling up my 997.1. I’ve probably done more miles on my road bike this year than in the Porsche :eek: . It’s nothing hugely special in the grand scheme of things, but very special to me and probably wouldn’t get into another sports car of any great excitement for another decade. Similarly wouldn’t be terrible in depreciation but the cost of buying and selling (especially if I went through any kind of dealer) would take a chunk out of any future car budget. I don’t need anything faster, it’s got little seats in the back which the kids can fit into and touch wood it hasn’t had any mega bills so far.

Sad day today, sold the Porsche. It was weird seeing someone else drive off in it! 4 years of ownership, which wasn't a walk in the park as I ended up having to have quite a few things done to it to keep it in good condition, but I'll miss the silky smooth flat 6, the noise, and just the general feeling of driving it. It felt...special, even at low speed! It was only a 987.2 Cayman S, which I know a lot of people don't think is a 'proper' Porsche, but - despite the issues it threw up from time to time - I loved the thing!

A Cayman is about as “proper” you can get in a Porsche. They are magnificent cars.

Gatekeepers don’t belong in the Porsche community.

Glad you enjoyed your run with it. Do you think you’ll ever get another?

A Cayman is about as “proper” you can get in a Porsche. They are magnificent cars.

Gatekeepers don’t belong in the Porsche community.

Glad you enjoyed your run with it. Do you think you’ll ever get another?
Hopefully one day. I didn't particularly need the money out of it, but figured I might as well get out as it wasn't getting any younger, and it's topped the savings up which is never a bad thing. I'd love a 911 one day, but equally I think I'd be happy with a decent spec 981 S or GTS.

Hopefully one day. I didn't particularly need the money out of it, but figured I might as well get out as it wasn't getting any younger, and it's topped the savings up which is never a bad thing. I'd love a 911 one day, but equally I think I'd be happy with a decent spec 981 S or GTS.

You might regret not getting a 911, but I don’t think you’d ever regret getting a 981.

They are phenomenal.

That being said, a 718 is a really amazing car. If you’re not only in it for the engine, a Cayman T might be all the car you ever need.

You might regret not getting a 911, but I don’t think you’d ever regret getting a 981.

They are phenomenal.

That being said, a 718 is a really amazing car. If you’re not only in it for the engine, a Cayman T might be all the car you ever need.
I'm afraid I'm in the camp that a Porsche should have a flat 6, the flat 4 turbo in the Cayman T puts me right off!

Nothing wrong with a cayman tbh, 981 or 718 if you can stretch to a six cylinder one, although the four pots are rapid tbh just don’t have a good noise. Gt4’s seem decent value for an early one and is a big step up. The only thing you can say negatively about a cayman is that it’s not a 911, and if you’ve got your heart set on one it will end up being a stop gap imho. I’m on my second one now, no regrets

We're taking a 718 GT4 on a test this Friday. Porsche in Newport have a manual in budget and a PDK not in budget. I want to try both and my pre-test preference is manual so we're taking that one out first.

My "want list" is manual maybe, PDLS lights, clubsport so seats and cage, Carbon or steel discs but the interior stitching has to match the caliper colour. The one were testing has all the desired bits except its silver which isn't my first choice on colour and crayon stitching, again not my first choice. Gentian blue with steel discs and red stitching is my first choice. Black with carbons and yellow stitching looks nice but I'm not sold on the black.

I've explained I'm not currently in a position to buy as I have to sell 2 cars to fund the GT4. I've put one up for the sale, Evo which is at the top end of the market for them but have interest near to asking. The other is my Impreza. I've explained to the dude that the GT4 has got to seriously win me over for me to part with it. Might sound daft but it's genuinely going to be hard to let it go.

We're taking a 718 GT4 on a test this Friday. Porsche in Newport have a manual in budget and a PDK not in budget. I want to try both and my pre-test preference is manual so we're taking that one out first.

My "want list" is manual maybe, PDLS lights, clubsport so seats and cage, Carbon or steel discs but the interior stitching has to match the caliper colour. The one were testing has all the desired bits except its silver which isn't my first choice on colour and crayon stitching, again not my first choice. Gentian blue with steel discs and red stitching is my first choice. Black with carbons and yellow stitching looks nice but I'm not sold on the black.

I've explained I'm not currently in a position to buy as I have to sell 2 cars to fund the GT4. I've put one up for the sale, Evo which is at the top end of the market for them but have interest near to asking. The other is my Impreza. I've explained to the dude that the GT4 has got to seriously win me over for me to part with it. Might sound daft but it's genuinely going to be hard to let it go.

987.2 Cayman R, 981 GT4 and 718 GT4 are all fabulous cars. If you decide on manual then 981 or 718 is a great choice buy whatever is right spec / money for you. For me the manual is a bit long geared at around 84mph in 2nd gear and 115mph in 3rd, so quite hard to enjoy the engines full range on the public road, or at least legally. ;)
718 PDK is shorter geared but saying that it is still long but they are superb cars, with Porsche extended warranty (about £750 a year) are rather cheap cars to run and very practical as long as you only require two seats.

If the GT4 RS drop to sub 120k in another year or so I may let the 600 LT go next year to try one, as they have the 9000rpm GT3 motor and the GT3 RS PDK gearing so much shorter, just need to get some seat time in one as the 600 LT been a Spider is like owning two cars in one and every time I drive it I am smiling whether it be 20mph or near 200mph, will take a lot to beat it. :)

I'm almost certain the Porsche dealer has increased the value of the GT4 since I made the enquiry. It's £79,990 and I'm sure it was low to mid 70s last week.

Even though I wasn't going to buy this example, it's a bit of an eye-opener. I'm not 100% but I think they have, I'll mention it tomorrow and see what the response is.

Certainly leant a lesson. Take a picture of the car and the price before picking up the phone!

I'm almost certain the Porsche dealer has increased the value of the GT4 since I made the enquiry. It's £79,990 and I'm sure it was low to mid 70s last week.

Even though I wasn't going to buy this example, it's a bit of an eye-opener. I'm not 100% but I think they have, I'll mention it tomorrow and see what the response is.

Certainly leant a lesson. Take a picture of the car and the price before picking up the phone!

Is it on Autotrader? There’s an extension for Chrome that shows you the price history.

Last edited:
Is it on Autotrader? There’s an extension for Chrome that shows you the price history.

Hmm, OK. That's a great app btw. Car is showing as live on AT since 26/07 and the price is dated today at £79,990 so I guess it's me that is wrong. :o

On Friday we visited Porsche Newport to test a manual GT4.

Initially, the lad said to take the GTS first so I can try both PDK and manual back to back. Bearing in mind this is Newport/Cardiff Friday afternoon so an environment far more suited to an automatic with comfortable suspension.

I was convinced manual clubsport GT4 was what I wanted and the GTS was a bit of a waste of time but I was surprised just how much I liked the GTS.

After driving both, on the way back to the dealership, the lad asked me what did I think? My first response "the gearing is a pain" .

I appreciate I'm coming from short ratio turbo to long ratio NA but still. Having to wind the manual up to get it to move made it a but underwhelming. Least with the PDK in auto you can just plant the throttle and it will shoot off nice a quickly.

Mild annoyance in the PDK it was desperate to get you into 7th quickly as possible. Not a big deal if you're in manual and I guess liveable otherwise.

I also wasn't sold on the bucket seats. I'd need the little brackets to tilt the seat back slightly to make it comfortable with a helmet.

Was it enough for me to sell my Impreza? Maybe. If I could keep the Impreza and bought the GTS for touring duties that would be the ideal outcome. GT4 as the track/touring car? Possibly, with the view to switch to a GTS of some flavour later as I get older and fatter :)

The lad did mention 991 GT3 being not far out of budget but I've had a look and yes there are some around £90K but what engine will they have? And being 2014, only 5 years of Porsche warranty. There's no way I could afford an engine rebuild.

991.1 GT3 has the well advertised engine troubles and the prices reflect it; especially as the free 10 year engine warranty is now expiring on these. If you do look the ones with a G series replacement engine are the ones to get.

On the GTS was it a 4.0 781 or the previous gen? Both great cars, but with all these NA ones you have to work the engine which tbh is the appeal of them. You don’t get that turbo charged push, but there still fast, just need to be on it; not bimbling.

I think I said above, you should also try a 991.1 GTS. These are a great car, and a bridge from Carrera to GT.

As for fat old men, I can identify and went from GTS to GT3

991.1 GT3 has the well advertised engine troubles and the prices reflect it; especially as the free 10 year engine warranty is now expiring on these. If you do look the ones with a G series replacement engine are the ones to get.

On the GTS was it a 4.0 781 or the previous gen? Both great cars, but with all these NA ones you have to work the engine which tbh is the appeal of them. You don’t get that turbo charged push, but there still fast, just need to be on it; not bimbling.

I think I said above, you should also try a 991.1 GTS. These are a great car, and a bridge from Carrera to GT.

As for fat old men, I can identify and went from GTS to GT3

Thanks. It was the 718 GTS 4.0. It was a lovely exampe in Artic Grey which is top of my list - PDK along with clubsport, red stitching and red calipers - annoyingly there is exactly this on the Porsche Used Approved website and I'm not going to be in a positon to buy for at least 6 months or so.

Also, in the environment we tested the cars, the carbons didn't get up to temp and felt woolly. I take it the steel discs won't fade doing several 'Ring laps? I have Alcon brakes on both JDM cars and I can stamp on them all day without fade. I think maybe, other than at the track, the carbons aren't the ideal option.

I do like the 991 GTS and would definately take that route if I found I couldn't live with the GT4.

I’ve got steels on mine, and tbh I was looking for them. Mines now done spa and the ring and was faultless tbh. The tyres went off way before the brakes lol. 155 down kemmel will do that . Biggest concern on carbons is accidental damage and/or stones damaging the wheels, they get trapped between caliper and wheel as the clearance is minimal. Mine is running PFC pads and only consideration is that the dust is biblical.

My previous GTS was a fantastic road car, and did everything; road trips, track days whatever. The 991.1 GTS is definitely a sweet spot, and I’m told the 4.0 cayman is similar. The GT3 is like the GTS turned up to 11.

From what you’ve said, I think you should consider the bias you want either road or track. Either car will do both just which one do you want it biased to.

On Friday we visited Porsche Newport to test a manual GT4.

Initially, the lad said to take the GTS first so I can try both PDK and manual back to back. Bearing in mind this is Newport/Cardiff Friday afternoon so an environment far more suited to an automatic with comfortable suspension.

I was convinced manual clubsport GT4 was what I wanted and the GTS was a bit of a waste of time but I was surprised just how much I liked the GTS.

After driving both, on the way back to the dealership, the lad asked me what did I think? My first response "the gearing is a pain" .

I appreciate I'm coming from short ratio turbo to long ratio NA but still. Having to wind the manual up to get it to move made it a but underwhelming. Least with the PDK in auto you can just plant the throttle and it will shoot off nice a quickly.

Mild annoyance in the PDK it was desperate to get you into 7th quickly as possible. Not a big deal if you're in manual and I guess liveable otherwise.

I also wasn't sold on the bucket seats. I'd need the little brackets to tilt the seat back slightly to make it comfortable with a helmet.

Was it enough for me to sell my Impreza? Maybe. If I could keep the Impreza and bought the GTS for touring duties that would be the ideal outcome. GT4 as the track/touring car? Possibly, with the view to switch to a GTS of some flavour later as I get older and fatter :)

The lad did mention 991 GT3 being not far out of budget but I've had a look and yes there are some around £90K but what engine will they have? And being 2014, only 5 years of Porsche warranty. There's no way I could afford an engine rebuild.

Yeah the gearing in the GTS is mega in a manual. Not only do you feel you’re constantly waiting for the engine to properly sing, you don’t really get the chance to play around with it properly. You don’t get out of second much.

As a manual fan, I think the PDK is where it’s at with these, which is a problem - manuals are just more engaging.

I’ve had my 981 S for 9 ish months now and while I do absolutely love it, I really really miss a manual. As good as the PDK is. And it really is amazing.

Only other car in that category I’d look at is the Emira.

@EddScott if your not a badge snob then maybe give an Alpine A110S a try, check the boots are large enough for your needs but just if your thinking 4.0 GTS or GT4, considering a lightly used A110S is 50k you'd be saving money and get to keep the WRX alongside maybe.

For me I'd summarise:
A110S - Similar to PDK but better in AUTO, does not try to hit 7th as quick (particular in sport), on paddles nearly as good as PDK, responsive enough. Far lighter in weight (1100kg) so far more eager to turn in, make sure you test drive a car on Cup 2 ideally and overall great handling, awesome on track and very cheap to track, put XP8 pads in and high temp brake fluid and the brakes are fine on track with no negatives on road. 40mpg, £500 to service and warranty, maybe one to try if the boots are big enough. 300PS, 4.2s to 60 not too far off GT4 pace from been on drives out with my mates 718 GT4 PDK and on track, the GT4 does edge it at higher speeds. Give one a try you may like it.

GT4 - Its a GT4 so you get the whole I own a Porsche and its a GT4, maybe a good feeling, much bigger boots, better soundtrack been an NA 4.0, is a bit quicker, carbon ceramics are nice but steels have more feel and modulation, also much cheaper to replace. 718 PDK 75-90kl depending on spec, a little more expensive to run but not outrageous, relatively comfortable, PDK is a must for me in GT4 as the manual does my head in with long gearing.

GTS - If the manual has shorter gearing maybe an option, just for me always felt they looked a bit too plain, I do love the looks of GT4 with wing etc, why our A110S has aero kit, but GTS is a very rounded car, works great on road and pretty well on track.

991.1/2 GTS - Is a great recommendation, from memory gearing is shorter in PDK and they are such a great rounded car, big frunk, back seats too. Options are important though as there are lots of stuff that impacts the drive like sport chassis, the fancy diff's and fancy ARB's cannot remember the Porsche names but there is a few options that are a must for a drivers car, Aerokit is cool addition too. I'd go 991.1 for the NA engine!

991.1 GT3 - Fabulous cars, can be had from 80k privately, G-series motor important, but do some reading up as I think Porsche extended the goodwill period from 10 years upto 15 years, you can also continue to add extended warranty beyond this I believe, so as long as you keep it under warranty, the engine is covered if out the goodwill periods. The 991.1 GT3 has the best motor of all the above, it makes the car, GT4 rides a little better and has an extra boot but GT3 has loads of space behind seats, they drive just fine on the road and the PDK is not too leggy and are absolute beast on track. If there is warranty and you can get one for around 80k I'd give it serious consideration because a well purchased 991.1 GT3 I cannot see values dropping sub 70-75k in honesty apart from leggy high mileage examples. Whereas I do see 718 GT4's dropping into the 55-60k region in another year or two and GTS cars will drop more potentially.

@Gibbo - Can’t believe the 991.1 GT3 is overlapping in price with the 996 GT3! I love the 996, but surely you’d never buy one over a 991?!

I like my older cars but the 996 GT3 never impressed me, M3 CSL all the way over it.

997.2 GT3 is peak road GT3 and still fabulous on track.

To answer your question 991 GT3 always over a 996. The 991 is a far superior road car and faster on track. 991 are great value even more so if you find one with a G series motor.

991.2 GT3’s are the holy grail hence why values have held strong whilst many other Porsches are crashing in price. The 991.2 GT3 RS were 200k two years ago and are still 200k today. Whilst 992’s are crashing down!

A 992 GT3 RS just sold retail for 270k, trade around 240k.

Consider what less than a year ago some flipped for 400-500k whoever purchased those flippers made a very bad decision!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom