• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Possible details of the GTX670 and GTX660

Soldato
Cannot wait to get my mitt's on a 670. After a brief flirt with the 7850 decided I will stick with Nvidia. Would love one styled like that 690 though!

Edit: I have been very impressed with my KFA2 card so think I will be going for a KFA2 one again as and when. Hope they bring a dual fan one out quickly like they did with the 680.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
So how are the sales of the HD7850 and HD7870 generally??

7850 is good, but 570 is stronger.
7870 is poor, 580 is massively outselling it.

On the other hand, 6970 is romping out, but were on last stocks so it shall be gone soon, same for 6850 is also flying but also about to run out.

Soldato
OP
Thanks. The problem is that the HD7870 2GB launched at too high a price IMHO and now the HD7950 and GTX580 cards are relatively close in price. If it launched at £230 to £240 it would have a gotten a better reception I suspect.

The GTX570 and HD6970 cards at around £200 are decent though,although isn't the cheaper GTX560TI 448 quite similar in performance to these cards??

Last edited:
Soldato
No chance, it flies of the shelfs and shortages shall continue throughout May, June and possibly July.

Well now we know why the 680M is so elusive...

Looks like the 7970M is going to be king of the hill in notebooks for some time with its 7000 3dmark scores when tweaked compared to the 4800 ish of the 675M (which uses a LOT more power at that point).

Soldato
I suspect the GK110 might be reserved for professional cards only.

That is actually a good point, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the first GK110 cards are the tesla ones as they sell those for thousands each instead of a few hundred... eventually when yields improve they might let us mere mortals have the table scraps

it's looking ever more likely that GK110 will be released at GTX 780/770, as GK104 has managed to fulfill a full range from GTX690 down to GTX660 with some rebrands and another kepler chip as GTX640 and lower

even if there is a GTX685 I would be willing to bet that it is the GK110's that aren't good enough to run as full fledged Tesla cards

much like Intel do with 8 core Xeons that get sold as 6 core i7's - the new real top end cards are the professional/server series and the top "enthusiast" models are cut down versions of that

Soldato
Cant be long as the updated GPU-Z has added support for 6xx cards..

• Added support for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690, GTX 670, GT 640, GT 630, GeForce 605, Quadro 3000M, GTX 675M, GTX 670M

And they finally added support for the Intel Sandy's and Ivy's..

• Added full support for Intel Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge integrated graphics

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2135/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.6.1.html

About bloody time lol

Associate
I don't find the pricing surprising, it is what I would do in Nvidias position but I simply refuse to be ripped off as a consumer.

Caporegime
The GTX560ti was a great purchase for me many many months ago and served me well for ~£200.

This gen is proving not so good :( If you need a new GPU then bargains still to be found with older gen though.

Caporegime
I don't find the pricing surprising, it is what I would do in Nvidias position but I simply refuse to be ripped off as a consumer.

Exactly.

This is one of the reasons why we don't need to get to hung up about PC games being mostly console ports.

Because the flip side to that is that we aren't forced to buy expensive hardware. If, like me, you're happy to play at 1080p (or less in my case), then (assuming the ports are half decently done), you won't need a 680 to play it.

The other thing is that the more expensive the hardware requirements to be a "PC gamer", the fewer in number they will become. The smaller the market, the less interest the devs have in targeting that market.

In other words, hardware "elitists" who want PC games to require the latest and greatest hardware to run, would essentially destroy the market and force everyone onto consoles.

But it doesn't look like that will happen. PC games will continue to be console ports for the most part (I can't see any reason why this would change, it's sensible) and thus hardware reqs can't become unreasonable.

It's a case of "be careful what you wish for".

Back
Top Bottom