• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Possible Radeon 390X / 390 and 380X Spec / Benchmark (do not hotlink images!!!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then why did they say it has 8GB capacity?

Recently SK Hynix announced that it would start mass production of commercial HBM DRAM devices in the first quarter of 2015. The first commercial HBM chip is expected to feature 8Gb capacity (eight 1Gb 128-bit channels, four 2Gb DRAM dies), 1024-bit wide interface, 1Gb/s per pin data-rate and 1.2V voltage.

That says 8Gb capacity (gigabit, small b), i.e. 1 gigabyte.

HBM1 isn't "limited" to anything, HBM1 starts at 1GB stack capacity, not is limited to. We will almost certainly see 2GB stacks before HBM2 officially launches.

Same way DDR3 has say, I can't even remember where it launched, and what official versions there were, but you quickly get increased capacity and increased speeds that are unofficial and bridge the gap between the officially released points. Lets say there is DDR3 800 with whatever timings it had 6,6,6 and DDR3 1066 was it, with lets say 8,8,8 timings being the official numbers. it didn't mean someone couldn't make ddr3 900 6,6,6 or whatever else. It's just a case of saying we'll definitely produce this, you can design products around the idea that this particular model will be available... but we might offer more variations to pick and chose what you want.

Each stack is 4hi, each chip in the 4 stack is 2Gb, each chip has 2x128bit connections for a total of 1024bit from the control chip on the bottom to the four memory chips.

2Gb is 2048Mb/8=256MB, 4x 256MB = 1024MB = 1GB

IEC 1000^3 = Gbit/gigabit, Jedec 1024^3 = Gbit/gigabit, IEC 1024^3 Gibit/gibibit.

So basically Jedec, the memory standards people and most of the memory industry uses 1Gbit = 1024Mb = 128MB

We have started mass production wafers in 14-nanometer. So, in 14-nanometer, our progress is well on track, including process and the yields. Here we're talking when I mention yields being on track, this is for a very advanced product. It'll be our most advanced applications processor. Yielding at full specifications targets with all of the characteristics for speed and power as well.

From Samsung's investor forum or something. They are in production with 14nm now and expecting to be shipping working full production wafers in Q1 2015. This could be the gen that AMD moves gpu's to Samsung, they've gotten to 14nm first, and it means AMD can dual source and have likely better pricing and be a priority customer there over TSMC.

It's been known for quite a long time that Samsung were going to get to 14nm(finfet on 20nm) before TSMC get to 16nm, about half a year ahead it's looking.

I'm not sure if Global will be get shipping 14nm same time as Samsung, while the knowledge is there it doesn't mean the fab/equipment is at the same stage. It's possible these are 14nm. It's worth noting that fully working chips simply means SOME chips hit full spec. Some chips will particularly early in a process maybe provide literally no full working chips to start with, having at least some full working chips early on in a process is a relatively good sign.

It's possible that AMD will make the leap to GloFo/Samsung for gpu, it's also possible that AMD are doing 20nm at TSMC, which has been shipping chips for some time. If Apple is already starting 14nm production at Samsung it's also possible there is more capacity at TSMC for 20nm.

It's certainly possible that very soon we could be hitting midrange sized chips with current gen high end levels of performance. With HBM they could also match midrange size with a smaller IMC and more bandwidth to remove bandwidth bottlenecks in lower end gpu's and cram more shaders into the same size.

It depends what kind of leak it is, the "it's coming next week, awesome" leak or the "hey, stop buying Nvidia gpu's because in 3 months you can get same performance for half the price" type. The former would probably hint at staying at TSMC for one more round, the later and it really could be a 14nm Samsung/glofo product.

Last edited:
That site had released accurate pre-release benchmarks in the past.

The thing is it for the R9 390X or R9 380X??

Thinking the same, tbh if it's either card it's a good sign. Massive uplift in performance along with lower power use !

This is what we want to see, just hope these aren't to far away. The longer AMD take to launch, the more sales Nvidia get with the Maxwell pretenders :p

Last edited:
Thinking the same, tbh if it's either card it's a good sign. Massive uplift in performance along with lower power use !

This is what we want to see, just hope these aren't to far away. The longer AMD take to launch, the more sales Nvidia get with the Maxwell pretenders :p

Thats the thing if it is true,it does mean all those naysayers were being too artificially negative about AMD having any response.

Thats the thing if it is true,it does mean all those naysayers were being too artificially negative about AMD having any response.

Obviously AMD will have a response, both company's always do. Nobody is doubting that AMD can and do make good GPU's. However timing is also important. If they take to long a lot of peeps will have already spent out and bought GTX 970 / 980.

AMD do release great products, but always seem to stumble on their execution. The worry here is that AMD could be about release a genuinely great card, in the interim Nvidia have raked up a ton of sales selling old rope 'More 28nm cards'. At a big profit.

When AMD do get their products out Nvidia can simply cut prices on 970 / 980 and release their higher end Maxwell stuff. Once again it would mean larger market share for Nvidia and more profit. Will have to see how this plays out..

I wonder if AMD sales have been hit by the flooded used market with people still trying to flog ex mining cards? Perhaps that has encouraged them to keep dropping prices of their cards because they have to compete with a massive second hard market of their own cards.

I'm tempted to change from AMD because the amount of grief my 2 280x Toxics are causing me - not even for gaming, just sending emails is enough to crash my PC at the moment.

People will shift to the new card even if they bought it today.
Only fanatics dont but they sit with a 8800gt anyhow.

at least rumour mill started, good times.
Popcorn is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom