Possible redundancy letter

Does your employer have a track record of getting rid of people before they have been there for 2 years?

As others have pointed out, you have little legal recourse against dismissal until you achieve 2 years of service. The exception to this is if it involves discrimination. I believe the Equality Act 2010 is the relevant piece of legislation. There is no length of service requirement to take your employer to an Employment Tribunal if they are stupid enough to sack you for something that would count as being discrimination against a protected characteristic.

Best case would seem to be that it is indeed a redundancy situation. If so, the most obvious thing to check is that they are actually getting rid of the role and not just sacking a person to replace them with someone cheaper or who has less rights.

Does your employer have a track record of getting rid of people before they have been there for 2 years?

As others have pointed out, you have little legal recourse against dismissal until you achieve 2 years of service. The exception to this is if it involves discrimination. I believe the Equality Act 2010 is the relevant piece of legislation. There is no length of service requirement to take your employer to an Employment Tribunal if they are stupid enough to sack you for something that would count as being discrimination against a protected characteristic.

Best case would seem to be that it is indeed a redundancy situation. If so, the most obvious thing to check is that they are actually getting rid of the role and not just sacking a person to replace them with someone cheaper or who has less rights.
Would I have some level of protection if they are just trying to replace me for someone cheaper? Our tech lead told me that they were looking to get an agency in to help support with the work. We clearly have a huge amount that needs doing, even at a support level. I do know the devs do get paid more than a lot of the company, but still way under contractors or agencies would be paying devs. Either way though, it probably looks like an unjustifiably high amount compared to other salaries.
I've thought about whether I could offer to work at a reduced rate for a fixed period to give me time to find another role. Clearly not ideal, but at least if I could negotiate this then I'd have some salary.

Would I have some level of protection if they are just trying to replace me for someone cheaper? Our tech lead told me that they were looking to get an agency in to help support with the work. We clearly have a huge amount that needs doing, even at a support level. I do know the devs do get paid more than a lot of the company, but still way under contractors or agencies would be paying devs. Either way though, it probably looks like an unjustifiably high amount compared to other salaries.
I've thought about whether I could offer to work at a reduced rate for a fixed period to give me time to find another role. Clearly not ideal, but at least if I could negotiate this then I'd have some salary.
Agency can be let go with barely any notice. They won't let you stay, they need to end your contract before 2 years.

Can they literally dismiss me there and then and that's it I have no job from Tuesday?
The language sounds like it could be a restructuring, but it is very vague:

At the meeting, we will discuss upcoming changes at the company. You should be aware that the outcome of the meeting could be up to and including the termination of your employment.

They can dismiss you, but I believe they have to pay you for the minimum notice period. They'll just put you on "garden leave" in that time and you'll just not work there anymore. At least that's what they've done at a few companies I've worked at before.

I have been In the situation before, but I had a lot more notice. A previous work colleague offered me a job somewhere else, which I immediately took anyway before I had to go through the process.

Sorry you're having to go through this and best of luck.

I was more thinking that if I was in your shoes I would want to call their bluff and get them to justify my supposed redundancy. It might also drag the process out whilst they come up with a response. As you say you are only a few weeks away from hitting 2 years, it would be interesting to see whether they are focused on trying to get you out before that deadline, rather than following a meaningful consultation process in good faith.

But if you are right about what is happening and are also willing to take a pay cut, that could make for a fun discussion:

"Our business case for the redundancy exercise is that we are outsourcing your job to save money."

"Really, to do exactly the same work?"

"Yes, honest."

"OK. How much will you be saving?"

"£10K per annum."

"No need to do that, I'll take a £10K pay cut."

???

I was more thinking that if I was in your shoes I would want to call their bluff and get them to justify my supposed redundancy. It might also drag the process out whilst they come up with a response. As you say you are only a few weeks away from hitting 2 years, it would be interesting to see whether they are focused on trying to get you out before that deadline, rather than following a meaningful consultation process in good faith.

But if you are right about what is happening and are also willing to take a pay cut, that could make for a fun discussion:

"Our business case for the redundancy exercise is that we are outsourcing your job to save money."

"Really, to do exactly the same work?"

"Yes, honest."

"OK. How much will you be saving?"

"£10K per annum."

"No need to do that, I'll take a £10K pay cut."

???
Get what your saying. But "people" aren't made redundant, the role is made redundant.

Get what your saying. But "people" aren't made redundant, the role is made redundant.

I know, I made that point myself. But you can restructure the business, outsource the work etc. and I didn't want to overly complicate things by bringing in TUPE. At this stage the OP doesn't actually know what is going to happen at the meeting.

Op, if you want to play a real game and you are only a few weeks from 2 years - go sick.

True, especially if we are taking the "nothing to lose" view. Although it would need to be watertight as he still needs another month of service and suddenly going sick at a suspiciously convenient time might spur them into dismissal. Depends how gung ho his employer is about employment law and following processes. We gave you an invite to a meeting, you went off sick so we rescheduled it, but you still didn't turn up so we held it without you.

True, especially if we are taking the "nothing to lose" view. Although it would need to be watertight as he still needs another month of service and suddenly going sick at a suspiciously convenient time might spur them into dismissal. Depends how gung ho his employer is about employment law and following processes. We gave you an invite to a meeting, you went off sick so we rescheduled it, but you still didn't turn up so we held it without you.
About as suspicious/timely as being made redundant before 2 years. Covid is going around again :D

Sorry to hear you’re going through this but I suggest you speak to the Citizens Advice Bureau and possibly ACAS to get their advice. If nothing else, having someone from an official body there will ensure they do things properly.

Sorry to hear you’re going through this but I suggest you speak to the Citizens Advice Bureau and possibly ACAS to get their advice. If nothing else, having someone from an official body there will ensure they do things properly.
I've literally been given no time to seek this. Surely that isn't fair. I was told 1630 on Friday with a meeting booked for 10am on Tuesday.
It must be reasonable to ask for this to be postponed to give me a realistic time frame to get an official body there?

Hmm… can the OP delay the meeting on the grounds that the notice given is too short to get advice? “Hey boss, can you postpone the meeting for a week? ACAS can’t see me until Thursday and the CAB can’t see me until Friday.”

Do they legally have to have this consultation meeting before making me redundant? Is it reasonable to attend th meeting go see what they are actually going to say/propose and then continue to get legal advice after? Or can they then officially make me redundant?
Does this seem like a bit of a dirty trick to give me no time at all to seek legal help or advice?

Back
Top Bottom