Possible redundancy letter

Do they legally have to have this consultation meeting before making me redundant? Is it reasonable to attend th meeting go see what they are actually going to say/propose and then continue to get legal advice after? Or can they then officially make me redundant?
Does this seem like a bit of a dirty trick to give me no time at all to seek legal help or advice?
It depends on how many people are affected. There are no rules for 19 people or fewer.

Agree. Probably much better to try and build a circle of trusted friends/mentors for advice in real life instead of getting it on a forum to avoid stupid crap like this happening.
Yeah, I appreciate that. I don't have this and should look to build it going forward. There's a lot that's been thrown at me in a very short space of time and just trying to do the best I can to process this and hopefully move forward from it a bit wiser and a bit stronger.

For what it’s worth I think calling in sick was fine, they gave you virtually no notice for the meeting and it would not be unreasonable to request a delay and more information.

With regard to any thoughts of being blacklisted or something, that’s all illegal now, as a reference they can only confirm that you did in fact work there.

But my judgment is they are going to terminate your contract come what may, forget any performance review or something, that if it occurs is just a smokescreen.

If it is a matter of weeks until you tick over 2 years then keep delaying as much as you can.
Having said that short of delaying to get a maximum payout, I would be sending my cv out or whatever you do these days. It’s not about them it’s about you.

Yeah, I appreciate that. I don't have this and should look to build it going forward. There's a lot that's been thrown at me in a very short space of time and just trying to do the best I can to process this and hopefully move forward from it a bit wiser and a bit stronger.
It's rough. Hope you find something new quickly. Sometimes these things end up working out for the best. But I do think it's better to just suck it up, do the meeting and see where you are. Nothing you can say in the meeting will change the outcome of it. I don't think there is anything stopping them letting you go while you are sick either if they really don't want you to hit the 2 years.

Word gets around.

Recruiters are getting smart that the 2 year clause is simply used and abused especially near the end of the period - specifically with something subjective as performance. They see it as a proxy-redundancy. Sexual or gross misconduct is a different thing all together.

a lot of organisations for development now have quite a lengthy technical review process to test abilities. I've even seen people invited in to peer with the developers for a day to get a feeling for their personality and how that would sit with the team. It also works the other way around and enables the prospective candidate to see the company and the people they will work with.

I'm now actually thinking about the possibility of handing in my notice. I'm not sure if this would actually get me more pay than being made redundant and whether it would look better in the future than having to explain I was made redundant. I absolutely want out asap, not just because of the company, the stress and culture, but also because I'm not sure I want to stay working as a developer. I did a boot camp and aren't the most skilled/talented/experienced developer by a long shot, so getting a job in a rigorous interview process might be difficult. I've been lucky in that both jobs I've worked as a developer I had no pair programming or in person tech tests. Just one tech test to submit. I also don't like the long term outlook and feel like it will get increasingly competitive and insecure. So a side step may actually suit me very well. Being able to do some career coaching with a clear mind and without the ongoing stress of my job could well be beneficial.
That said, I don't want to be stupid. I don't know whether it's actually redundancy on the line here, even though it seems clear that a lot of people here are pretty confident that's the case. And having a decent income while I get career coaching would be a lot better than having no income.

I've just spoken to ACAS. It feels like it will make more sense to at least attend this first meeting, given that it's unlikely I would actually get dismissed in this meeting. At least then i know what exactly is on the table. Sounds like, even I handed the notice in, I'd still have to go to the meeting and they could still just dismiss me so probably little value in doing it before going to this meeting.
They did suggest that I could ask if I would be allowed to resign and actually get agreement from them, and to try and get a pre-approved reference if they agree to this.

Been Here before the email is very badly worded , Sounds like a Disciplinary but then the email from your manager would suggest it was something else. Anyway i was called in to a meeting at 2 companies years back with the same sort of thing making your role redundant but your under 2 years so basically we have to pay you nothing. 1st time this happened i was blind sided went to the meeting and at the end nothing i could do. the 2nd time this happened i could see it coming as others had been to the same meeting. i called in sick and got a doctors note for stress 3 weeks that pushed me over the 2 year mark. nothing the company could do and had to pay me out as i was over 2 years.

all in all tho i hope it goes ok for you

If you are very sure that a pre-2 year redundancy is on the cards, I'd also say get a 4 week sick note for stress, and something that highlights you need to stay away from anything to do with work. Depending on your contract you'll end up with 4 weeks of full pay vs. potentially nothing if they dump you on Tuesday morning.

You'll never have it mentioned by anyone else, as the employer can't legally do/say anything about you going off sick to anyone, and you'll never need to mention it to anyone yourself, as the overlap would be small to notice on a CV for end of contract date. Take the time to look for other work, see what is out there, maybe you'll find something straight away.

For what it’s worth I think calling in sick was fine, they gave you virtually no notice for the meeting and it would not be unreasonable to request a delay and more information.

With regard to any thoughts of being blacklisted or something, that’s all illegal now, as a reference they can only confirm that you did in fact work there.

But my judgment is they are going to terminate your contract come what may, forget any performance review or something, that if it occurs is just a smokescreen.

If it is a matter of weeks until you tick over 2 years then keep delaying as much as you can.
Having said that short of delaying to get a maximum payout, I would be sending my cv out or whatever you do these days. It’s not about them it’s about you.

I thought in a reference they could state factual information as to the amount of sick days you took over the last 12 months? Is not the case anymore? This is quite crucial as op will be presented as someone that took 30 days sick in the last 12 months, if he does in fact do the sick thing to take him over 2 years.

I thought in a reference they could state factual information as to the amount of sick days you took over the last 12 months? Is not the case anymore? This is quite crucial as op will be presented as someone that took 30 days sick in the last 12 months, if he does in fact do the sick thing to take him over 2 years.

I think sickness is only off limits in a reference if it's related to a disability or other protected categories.

As far as I’m aware they are allowed to say very little in a reference letter. I would have thought sick days would come under gdpr.

Tbh once your gone they won’t be interested, some admin in hr will write a standard reference reply.

As the op is trying to do, know your rights, a lot of people will try it on to pressure you.

The main thing is don’t let them frighten you into doing anything.

You're allowed to say plenty in a reference, as long as it's all factual and doesn't break any discrimination laws etc.
Yes, you are allowed to reflect and be kind, but not negative.
This is the reason most references these days are "this person, this role, against these dates" and thats it.

There email is poorly written and their information sketchy.
But I still would have turned up and seen what they have to say and to remind them, they gave you zero information or time to prepare for such a thing, so in the event of negativity, you would like time to put a case together.
But even if they do want rid of you, I am sure they will be happy to let you walk away.

Given the additional context of leavers in the team etc, it could literally be about anything, go turn up to the meeting and find out what the deal is, so can plan and go from there.

“We confirm that Person was employed from X to Y in role Z with a final annual salary of £**,***” is common, but usually a sign that said person and said employer didn’t part in friendly terms.

“We confirm that Person was employed from X to Y in role Z with a final annual salary of £**,***” is common, but usually a sign that said person and said employer didn’t part in friendly terms.
Really? What would HR say if they did part on friendly terms? We never get asked by HR for qualitative references and assume that's all the companies I've worked for ever say.

Back
Top Bottom