Possibly getting back into biking - advanced riding courses?

Soldato
One skill that I noticed develop, once I had the muscle memory on how to actually ride a bike, was being able to spot driver movements within the car - and it became invaluable to notice people not paying attention (chatting away or fiddling with the radio). Even now I often make a judgement call on such drivers - and pass them as soon as it is safe; as I'd rather be past and idiot than have one in front of me. Same goes for people who don't indicate etc - my take is that if they can't be bothered with MSM what else can't they be bothered with!

Soldato
pick up and read a copy of the Motorcycle roadcraft: the police rider's handbook. I found it really useful to think about what safety actually is on the road and found a lot of it also transferred in to better driving and cycle riding.

One of the main things is to always be learning and improving. Replay what happened and think of any ways you could have noticed the risk before the incident progressed and happened. Any other close calls as well, think back to why they happened. As Sin_Chase is saying the vast majority of safety comes from how you think and process information, then it's knowing positioning, distances, safe lines, good bike control, visible bike colours etc.

Different riding experiences do help as well though, I used to ride offroad for years before going on the road and it's helped/saved me in a few situations. It's mainly from having more bike control and confidence to do certain manoeuvres. For example if a car door opens and you're too close to brake will you freeze / lock up the brakes or flick the bike around it?

One of the funnier things is there's a lot of motorbikes who don't even know how a bike physically turns. My dad though I was pulling his leg when talking about counter-steering :cry:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Did you make a decision what you're going to do next? I'm not sure how long it took you to recover, but it took me 2 years to fully recover, well to 95% at best... Few months down the line, one of my mates bought a bike, I went over and test rode it on a country road outside his house. At that point, I forgot that feeling, this has re-ignited that fire that nearly went out. Another 2 years passed and I won a classic bike on auction, part of the reason was to make it easier for my family, it was a good little project that I could test drive, only went out on it 2-3 times and sold it, not my cuppa of tea. Another 2-3 years passed and I jumped on a CRF300M in Thailand, rode it in Rush Hour traffic, regretted that decision as soon, as I sat on it, but after we left the city and ended up on the loop all the bad thoughts faded away.

I do feel the subconsciously there's trauma, even today during my Mod2, 3 cars pulled out on me and 1 van went into my lane because he was playing with his phone, normally those things would be brushed off 5 min later. But now, especially after the accident I had, I do see it has a bigger impact and takes longer to brush off... I think, the best way would be to jump on a bike, ride it and make the call if the risk is worth it at the end of the day to you. Some people just hang up the boots, because there are things that they enjoy/value more (weirdos, right? :p)

At this point, if you are still waiting for someone to say it'll be as safe, as a car, it won't no matter how much training you do and how good of a rider you're. End of rant lol

Man of Honour
OP
Did you make a decision what you're going to do next? I'm not sure how long it took you to recover, but it took me 2 years to fully recover, well to 95% at best... Few months down the line, one of my mates bought a bike, I went over and test rode it on a country road outside his house. At that point, I forgot that feeling, this has re-ignited that fire that nearly went out. Another 2 years passed and I won a classic bike on auction, part of the reason was to make it easier for my family, it was a good little project that I could test drive, only went out on it 2-3 times and sold it, not my cuppa of tea. Another 2-3 years passed and I jumped on a CRF300M in Thailand, rode it in Rush Hour traffic, regretted that decision as soon, as I sat on it, but after we left the city and ended up on the loop all the bad thoughts faded away.

I do feel the subconsciously there's trauma, even today during my Mod2, 3 cars pulled out on me and 1 van went into my lane because he was playing with his phone, normally those things would be brushed off 5 min later. But now, especially after the accident I had, I do see it has a bigger impact and takes longer to brush off... I think, the best way would be to jump on a bike, ride it and make the call if the risk is worth it at the end of the day to you. Some people just hang up the boots, because there are things that they enjoy/value more (weirdos, right? :p)

At this point, if you are still waiting for someone to say it'll be as safe, as a car, it won't no matter how much training you do and how good of a rider you're. End of rant lol
1.5 years for me and I would say I am 90% healed. I still have some hand and leg issues.

I'm not usually the sort of person to let past things like an accident traumatise me. I've experienced a lot of family illness and death, along with some serious illness of my own, recently tried to save someone's life who collapsed in the street (unsuccessfully) and just shake it off and get on with life. But every now and then, even in a car, I have a brief moment where I think someone won't stop at a side road or on a roundabout. Yes I'm fully appreciative that a bike will never be as safe as a car. When you get on a bike you have to accept that risk.

I think I will get a bike at some point. I test rode one recently and very nearly went for it. That was my first time back on a bike since the accident. But my wife and daughter don't want me to. So I passed on it for now. I still keep thinking about it though.

Back
Top Bottom