Post your allotment!

If you're in the south there's still plenty of time to plant stuff for this year. Carrots, beetroots, lettuces I'm still sowing but we rarely get frost here though especially before December. In the late autumn ill be getting in some garlic and onions.
In the deep dark north, however last few winters have been quite mild/late

My early carrots were a mostly a miss I think due to the cold and wet spring. Later sowings are growing well. Parsnips germinated well though and are doing very well this year. My onions have all been pulled now and drying well, been a good year for those as well and now i'll be getting a later crop of beetroot into those beds which I sowed in trays a few weeks ago.
Are you planning to plant anything other than beetroot?

Next question - compost

Do you use the container composters? Does anyone have a big open compost pile? We've got a lot of green waste after the initial clean up and have chucked it all in a corner. I'm wondering if that's enough to compost down over the next 9-12 months. Should I cover it with tarp over the winter?

Exactly.
The ignorance from the climate deniers is quite stunning.

I guess Kew gardens are ignorant as well seeing as they are changing stuff like the planted trees.

My approach and what a lot are now doing at my allotments is broadening what they grow. Because the results are just getting more and more random.

My onions this year are massive last were terrible. The corn is an exact flip on that.
My garlic peaked too early, warm spring I guess then poor start to summer.
Chilis really bad this year, think I will fail to get any decent crop unless we have a really late run of summer.
Been good for stuff like blackcurrants, sucked for raspberries but have some hope for a late crop.

My strawberries already have a second set of flowers so they are seemingly super confused due to the weather. Only ever seen really late second flowering before.
Kind of have a different problem down here on the south coast can't really grow much compared to how things used to be mainly due to lack of rainfall in the summer used to love growing blackcurrant, redcurrants but its pointless now as they just gasp for lack of water and die. Veg is similar unless theres some kind of irrigation system in place its just too dry everything just fails. With the exception of lettuce give them a good soaking once a week and they come on very nicely. Runner beans too but they require semi permanent irrigation with a seep hose hooked up to a watering timer. Otherwise you're just wasting your time. When i was a kid used to grow all sorts but its just impossible now, rhubarb, forget it! Summers have gotten so much dryer than they used to be and winters so much milder (and wetter).

Next question - compost

Do you use the container composters? Does anyone have a big open compost pile? We've got a lot of green waste after the initial clean up and have chucked it all in a corner. I'm wondering if that's enough to compost down over the next 9-12 months. Should I cover it with tarp over the winter?
It will rot but its better if you organise into proper compost containers doesn't have to be anything special old pallets will do just line with board or cardboard or something to close up the gaps. Separate bins will mean you can separate material i.e. this years, last years. 9 months is a short time to produce decent compost if its a hot heap it will do that but most amateur heaps rarely get enough material for that. Generally speaking the larger the heap the quicker/easier is to compost small containers usually dry out too fast personally I have an active heap that contains this years material and a second heap that contains last years at the end of this year last year's heap will get dug out and spread on the garden after two years its very dense, dark material almost like potting compost. This years heap will get turned out into the now empty, other heap and then covered over with its basically like the heavy rubber you use to line ponds with but something dense and heavy like old carpet will do and then simply left to do its thing, tarps will flap around in the wind and are less than ideal. Basically you want to keep the moisture in or the top will dry out and not compost properly, same goes for any gaps in the sides/front.

Last edited:
This is my allotment as of this afternoon

Allotment-060824.jpg

Allotment-Chickens-060824.jpg

Allotment-Greenhouse-060824.jpg

It's not a pretty allotment (it's not one of those Instagram allotments where everything is pretty and neat without a single weed), but it produces enough food for us to eat something all year round.

I've had an allotment of some sort for 12 years, starting with a tiny plot measuring 12m x 5m and eventually worked up to this. I've had this plot for 2.5 years and there's still some areas I need to work on and decide what I want to do with.

You can still sow some spring greens for next year. You may be able to get some fast cropping salad crops for a harvest later on this summer, but you need to get those into the ground quick. You can also plant some onion sets and garlic early autumn which will be ready early next summer.

My little plot is going well, spent a lot of time clearing the weeds, rebuilt lots of the planters, laid some weed suppressing membrane and going to chuck a few ton of gravel in the paths

QcVvY7Z.jpeg

5lmrCs8.jpeg

Thanks very much for all the advice. Planning to add compost and then start to plant for next year.

I wouldn't gravel the paths personally. Just leave as is.

Over time you will get a buildup of mud underneath the gravel. Then stuff can grow.
Mine looks like yours does now. Quick brush down couple of times a year and all the dusty mud is gone.

Start collecting all your compostable from home. Tea bags, banana skins are two of my favs.

If you find after year 1 your not getting good crops might be worth a PH test.

Is that a pile of old wood at the end? If your not going to use it bury it in the beds at least 30cm or so down. It will decay over a number of years. It brings a lot of positives to the beds.
Or go for a single Hugelkultur bed.

Last edited:
I wouldn't gravel the paths personally. Just leave as is.

Over time you will get a buildup of mud underneath the gravel. Then stuff can grow.
Mine looks like yours does now. Quick brush down couple of times a year and all the dusty mud is gone.

Start collecting all your compostable from home. Tea bags, banana skins are two of my favs.

If you find after year 1 your not getting good crops might be worth a PH test.

Is that a pile of old wood at the end? If your not going to use it bury it in the beds at least 30cm or so down. It will decay over a number of years. It brings a lot of positives to the beds.
Or go for a single Hugelkultur bed.
I hadn't considered leaving it as is. Makes sense. Quite satisfying giving it a little brush this afternoon and it's neat again.

Good thought about the wood. That's the old planters etc. Most of it is soft and rotten. Will add it to the planters!

Chaps,

I have some 5x2 treated timber, and I'll have a bunch of corrugated roofing sheets. I went over to the alottments earlier and it looks like someone has strimmed down and tidied up what was a 9ft mess. I am thinking I make some boxes and "frame out" the growing areas.

Any tips on what to then do, to get it ready for next year?

2zo821S.jpg

Looks like someone has taken over the unused plot ;)
I had a chat with the neighboring plot (by chance) which is meticulous . I said we'd rented it but it was too much atm with the house repairs going on etc, and the state it was given to us in was a bit much. I have a feeling they asked on our behalf (no compo face but my wife was about to burst and my 4 yo was running riot).

Going to get my wife to drop an email to say thanks and see if they come back with any noise.

I’m nursing this thicc boi but the vine is struggling so probably won’t get much bigger than the current weight of around 40-50Kg.
uonbeoh.jpeg

These were quite early too:
MPw3pdP.jpeg

Chaps,

I have some 5x2 treated timber, and I'll have a bunch of corrugated roofing sheets. I went over to the alottments earlier and it looks like someone has strimmed down and tidied up what was a 9ft mess. I am thinking I make some boxes and "frame out" the growing areas.

Any tips on what to then do, to get it ready for next year?
Cover it for the winter and forget about it. Come spring time you should have clear ground. If you dig now you’ll end up with a load of seed throughout the soil which will be difficult to control next season. I find with the no dig method that any weeds that do take are relatively shallow rooted and easy to control.

Back
Top Bottom