Post Your Daily Encounter Pics Here

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I'd like to think anyone with an M car like an M5 would at least be o top of bits falling off their car regardless of age. Although TBF the state of those badges and the choice to powder the wheels black indicates a certain type of owners which is a shame I guess.

Soldato
I'd like to think anyone with an M car like an M5 would at least be o top of bits falling off their car regardless of age. Although TBF the state of those badges and the choice to powder the wheels black indicates a certain type of owners which is a shame I guess.

As I was reading your post I was getting ready to post 'but look at the badge and matt black wheels' :p

Nice set of expensive Kumho tyres on it too. I think it's safe to say that's an M5 being run on the cheap.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It's amusing because it was parked up at a local pub/restaurant which is known for being one of the more expensive places to eat! Man's got priorities :p

Caporegime
As I was reading your post I was getting ready to post 'but look at the badge and matt black wheels' :p

Nice set of expensive Kumho tyres on it too. I think it's safe to say that's an M5 being run on the cheap.
To be fair, I can’t see many owners trying not to save money wherever they can running what’s one of the guaranteed money pits out there and whilst Kumho’s aren’t the best by any stretch they are not dire either.

I can’t think any ~119k mile M5 is cheap to maintain but to be fair it’s MOT history looks good.

I imagine it’s presented a fair few eye watering bills in its time, perhaps the poor sods had it from new when he was wealthy but now can’t afford anything other than the best cheapest he can find..... :p

If ever there was a car to bankrupt you, that’s one of them! :D

Soldato
If i ever found myself in the position to be spending 70k, id go straight to a vantage. Ive driven the older 2007ish vantage and it was incredible, although not as fast as i would have hoped.

I think there are a few on his radar...

F-Type SVR
XKR-S
Vantage
AMG GT
SL 63 AMG
911 targa 4s

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
The e60 is a cheap car now, I’d imagine that it’s just run on the cheap and will be run until the engine grenades itself. That’s virtually all that they are good for now. It hardly seems a mystery to see one with kumho tyres and dodgy badges does it?

A while back an e60 m5 with a cog error on the dash failed to even make a ~£5k reserve locally.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
To be fair, I can’t see many owners trying not to save money wherever they can running what’s one of the guaranteed money pits out there and whilst Kumho’s aren’t the best by any stretch they are not dire either.

I can’t think any ~119k mile M5 is cheap to maintain but to be fair it’s MOT history looks good.

I imagine it’s presented a fair few eye watering bills in its time, perhaps the poor sods had it from new when he was wealthy but now can’t afford anything other than the best cheapest he can find..... :p

If ever there was a car to bankrupt you, that’s one of them! :D
Meant to quote you for the above post and can’t sort it on an iPhone :)

Caporegime
Meant to quote you for the above post and can’t sort it on an iPhone :)
No worries.

The e60 is a cheap car now, I’d imagine that it’s just run on the cheap and will be run until the engine grenades itself. That’s virtually all that they are good for now. It hardly seems a mystery to see one with kumho tyres and dodgy badges does it?

A while back an e60 m5 with a cog error on the dash failed to even make a ~£5k reserve locally.
Yes absolutely, I think the late Dannyw paid relative buttons for his and indeed ran it on a shoestring (scrap yard brakes wasn’t it!?!) and I guess a lot are run thus.

Saw one parked at the side of the road in Bradford a few weeks back, that was up for £6k (for sale notice gaffer taped to the screen) I reckon it would have gone for a lot less, it’s MOT history showing 170k...

Very cheap especially given the performance (if it’s still running!) but they are very much at the point of being too much to maintain properly relative to their value if they aren’t mint which the majority aren’t.

I think values are going to shoot up for the dwindling non molested ones as the cheap scruffy ones are going to soon disappear as they are more likely worth more broken for spares.

In a few years I think an e60 M5 will be a very rare beast unfortunately.

Soldato
There are some old AMG cars like that too. Basically just used until they explode then scrapped or sold for parts to keep the remaining sheds going.

Not sure the e60 will ever be a sought after classic though. They are really ugly cars. Prices would already be hinting at it now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There are some old AMG cars like that too. Basically just used until they explode then scrapped or sold for parts to keep the remaining sheds going.

Not sure the e60 will ever be a sought after classic though. They are really ugly cars. Prices would already be hinting at it now.

I disagree, low mileage low owner examples will go up simply due to rarity and despite its Marmite looks its still an epic M car with an engine to die for (whilst praying it itself does not die! :p) - there won't be another like it in this eco "friendly" world we now live in and over time prices will reflect it.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/m5/bmw-m5-e60-only-14000-miles/9956490

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/m5/bmw-m5-e60-only-8800-miles/9183253

Two such low mile unmolested examples, both ~ £34k (albeit at Hexagon who always seems to hit the crack pipe prior to setting prices I grant you!)

Plenty other more realistic priced examples on P/H with a fair few miles but are still way north of £10k+

Soldato
After a while though performance stops being relevant (except for a handful of examples like the F40 or McLaren F1). People buy classic cars for how they look, the history, or other interesting features. After the 90s cars like this became white goods pretty much :/

Rarity is worth something, but it will never reach the high prices we see for the earlier M cars and specials like the CSL.

Last edited:
Caporegime
After a while though performance stops being relevant (except for a handful of examples like the F40 or McLaren F1). People buy classic cars for how they look, the history, or other interesting features. After the 90s cars like this became white goods pretty much :/

Rarity is worth something, but it will never reach the high prices we see for the earlier M cars and specials like the CSL.
No it won’t reach heights of the CSL but the e60 M5 will go up, e61 Tourings are very much on the rise (try finding one!) already.

I’d love one (after a lottery win!) they are hankered for by enthusiasts, it’ll take time like the e34 which wasn’t particularly loved in its day but is commanding strong money now.

Back
Top Bottom