Post Your Home Cine & HiFi Kit...

I added this to my system last week to replace a Dynavector P75 MKiii.

WRaPfRZ.jpg

You may well ask "why" The answer is very simple. Even if you was to buy it based just on reviews alone the overriding thing that must peak any vinyl users interest is the technical specs. It is just THE quietest phono stage that exists at any price.
The whole design and build philosophy is based around simplicity, well chosen components, meticulous attention to detail and good workmanship.
What does this produce for us as an end user ? You hear everything that any piece of vinyl has to offer. Along with gorgeous mids, highs, copious amounts of bass and a soundstage to die for.
I don't see myself ever needing to replace this, unless Mr Fidler designs another one even better.

I had a quick look on Audio Science review and also the companies web-site about these, what is the dial marked xfeed on it do? Are they sold with the linear PSU, or do you have to choose one yourself. I looked at prices but could not find one for sale.

I had a quick look on Audio Science review and also the companies web-site about these, what is the dial marked xfeed on it do? Are they sold with the linear PSU, or do you have to choose one yourself. I looked at prices but could not find one for sale.
XFEED is low frequency filter that is particularly useful when listening on headphones. Lets say bass is a bit muffled and not as defined as it would be listening via speakers. If you switch on LF XFEED and select 120Hz everything below 120Hz will be shifted to Mono. Bass when shifted to mono becomes more defined and has more clout.
It is selectable from 65Hz up to 600Hz. It also works with speakers as well, at least it does with my Spendor A9's. Probably because the bass crossover point on my speakers is 500Hz. The effect on my speakers is the mids just sing with a real richness that absolutely frees up the treble sweetness, with the added bonus that the bass has better definition and clout.
The stage comes with a linear power supply. In fact if you use another power supply the warranty is void.

There are no dealers, you have to buy it direct from Michael Fidler.

Last edited:
But If I have to fork over 12k I would rather it be a Class A/B.

Rather than class D? Why?

A good amplifier is a good amplifier. Class D enables cheaper production costs but it doesn’t automatically mean bad sounding.

Some of the best sounding amplifiers are Class D. I would rather rate each amplifier on its own merit, rather than pick an amplifier based on topology and circuit design :-)

A good amplifier is a good amplifier. Class D enables cheaper production costs but it doesn’t automatically mean bad sounding.

Some of the best sounding amplifiers are Class D. I would rather rate each amplifier on its own merit, rather than pick an amplifier based on topology and circuit design :-)

Class A is where it's at.

My experience of Class D amps is somewhat limited. I have owned the NAD 3020 and 3090 and hated them. I Suspect the pairing of that and the B&W Pm-1 to not be an ideal synergy match. Then I had a Marantz HD-1amp which i still used till earlier this year until it developed a fault (looking to get it repaired). Then I tried the Marantz Pm-10, Marantz high end integrated Class D amp stupidly powerful and capable. It was fine with my speakers but not what I would describe as reference type amp. I tried a few chords amps and didn't get on with them.

What I find all these amps have in common is I find them dry sounding. Sure they fine for budget setups and particular use cases. But for me and this is just solely me, so if you have heard a class D amp and thought it was the best sounding amp then I am happy for you but for me I have never heard any class D amp where I have felt the desire to make the jump.

Who knows? Maybe something like the Marantz model 10 might blow me away and convince me. But until I get it in my setup I don't think class D is for me although I have yet to hear a Jeff Rowland take on Class D.

XFEED is low frequency filter that is particularly useful when listening on headphones. Lets say bass is a bit muffled and not as defined as it would be listening via speakers. If you switch on LF XFEED and select 120Hz everything below 120Hz will be shifted to Mono. Bass when shifted to mono becomes more defined and has more clout.
It is selectable from 65Hz up to 600Hz. It also works with speakers as well, at least it does with my Spendor A9's. Probably because the bass crossover point on my speakers is 500Hz. The effect on my speakers is the mids just sing with a real richness that absolutely frees up the treble sweetness, with the added bonus that the bass has better definition and clout.
The stage comes with a linear power supply. In fact if you use another power supply the warranty is void.

There are no dealers, you have to buy it direct from Michael Fidler.

This might be a daft question, but how does the MC Pro connect into your amp. Are you connecting the MC Pro into another pre-amp, or are you going directly into the amp's pre-amp input? Also are you using RCA out or XLR out from the MC Pro.

Back
Top Bottom