Post Your Home Cine & HiFi Kit...

Looks really nice that OP! Love the media wall with the fireplace underneath. Where is all your gear going apart from the TV?

The two cabinets open up either side of the fire. Left hand cupboard has a Zidoo Z9X with a das box which has 5 x 10tb disks in a raid 5. Right hand cupboard has the control box for the Sony Bravia quad speakers and my Sky stream box. That's basically all I need.

I didn't manage to getting around to finishing it yet and probably won't be able to do so until the weekend but I'll pop some pictures up once it's finished with the cupboards open etc.

Did you make all the unit?

Got the mission 778x yesterday and it sounds fantastic, even the headphone amp section sounds great with my sennheiser hd650. Looking forward to a good music session tonight.

Did you make all the unit?

Got the mission 778x yesterday and it sounds fantastic, even the headphone amp section sounds great with my sennheiser hd650. Looking forward to a good music session tonight.

Was just a self build kit from mvpmedia walls.

Screenshot-20240810-140311-2.png

Purchased an iFi elite pre-owned at a good price. It's been used on a Wiim Pro that's being used for digital output only into external DAC (Yamaha CD-S2100).

The PSU that comes as standard is junk, anyone using the Wiim Pro / Pro Plus on the stock PSU is missing out. Advantage of Wiim Pro / Pro Plus over Ultra is you can upgrade PSU. I actually already had another iFi PSU called the iPurifier 2 that was a good upgrade, but the Elite is better again.

Audio wise, sound is cleaner, less fatiguing, more natural / more analogue, on a digital device that is due to reduced noise and jitter. The Wiim Pro is quite remarkable giving it's cheap price, secret is getting clean power into.

AP1GczMCYFsPq3jryeko_lOaG-MqaXwt-stj3PhddhUjIJFNgWTPwRJq9nNrh9FW3BkAPKIBEIau107-azwL3cNPuSQbd-OulWls11fL7EGDqHjERAf72TAWSMkVCwW8tP2v_er21D0YnScDDzX3HvsGPmK2=w1600-h1200-s-no

Last edited:
Digital output can be influenced by noise / clock timings.

Prove it. Compare digital out with stock PSU and with linear PSU.

I'm not knocking linear PSU as I'm aware SMPS can be noisy, on the mains and internally, but whether that makes any difference on digital circuit/errors - increased jitter etc

Many products have SMPS, such as power amplifiers (Emotiva as an example) Audio streamer (Eversolo) And Wiim ultra has a small SMPS internal PSU. As will the myriad of chinese DAC's, where you use a USB charger for the PSU.

Prove it.

10 year old PS Audio video talking about jitter and clocks, I've linked the video where he talks about bad PSU's causing it. By bad PSU's he means poor designed or low quality, the Wiim Pro is £149 complete and the included PSU is low end to keep margin up.

You don't have to go as extreme as the iFi Elite however, I was first using an iFi iPurifier 2 and that gives maybe 70% of the improvement of the iFi Elite but under 30% of retail cost.

Only posting my experiences of gear I use in the hope it helps others, but chill out it's only audio.

Last edited:
Anyone know of a decent cable runner device at all?

Just trying to hide my rear speaker cables in the wall at the moment. What I thought was going to be an easy job has turned out to be a nightmare. Thought the walls where they are going were standard plasterboard but turns out one side is doubled so the gap was incredibly small (I've now managed to run this one after pulling my hair out) but the other side is dot and dab. Even though there's space, I just can't seem to feed the cable down, almost like it's running into some other space, hence going to have to grab some form of tool.

Cheers.

Sparkys would generally use fish tape. Bit of an outlay to pull a single wire though.
Borrowed a mates endoscope and there's no sodding route due to pipes and the dot and dab crap. :mad: What I thought was going to be the easiest wall has done me over lol. Going to have to cut a strip out the wall and then run it that way, as I'm not having 1 speaker with trunking while the rest are hidden. Good job I still need to paint that wall.

Managed to sort it all now. Need to sand lightly and then paint the rear left wall part but cut a strip out then ran some trunking and put the cable in. Pretty much all done now bar some cable tidying in the cabinet, although not like you'll see them anyway.

Spec is:

Sony A95L 65"
Sony Bravia Quad speakers
Sony SW5 subwoofer
Zidoo Z9X paired with a DAS drive with 5 x 10tb WD red disks.
Sky stream
Bravia quad control box.

Happy with how it's all turned out to be fair, so is the wife as all blends nicely and still feels like a living room.

If you scroll to the final picture, you'll see a before photo with me testing the quads before all the work started. I bought them a while back as I managed to get a good deal on the speakers and TV (£1700 for the quads with the cashback and discount I got). Also managed to nab the Sony A95L for £2600 and got both from Richer Sounds so have the peace of mind 6 year warranty and don't plan to change anything for as long as possible.

Yes, I had wall changes and could have gone down the AVR route but to be honest, the quads are actually very good and against some things I demo'd that were even three/four times the cost, I still found them more immersive and kept within the budget which was the main thing while also keeping the wife happy.

Cheers.

20240813-150445.jpg

20240818-102334.jpg

20240818-102349.jpg

20240818-101720.jpg

20240818-101734.jpg

20240818-105412.jpg

Screenshot-20240818-105445-2.png

Last edited:
I treated myself to a Denon M41dab and a Wiim mini. Really happy with how it sounds and playing a few CD’s again has been an experience. CD’s sound so crisp and the vocals are wonderful…

IMG-0446.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom