Power Supply Pop on switch on

Associate
Hi all,

After shutting down Windows I always flick the switch off on the power supply, so that the computer is completely 'off'.

In the last week or so, every time I turn the computer on by the back switch there is a loud 'pop' sound that seems to come from the computer/PS. I then turn on the computer by the case power button and all seems well.

Everything seems to be working normally, I was just wondering what might be causing this popping sound? Should I be concerned? Could it be a sign that the power supply could be failing?

I have a Corsair TX 650W which is about a year old ... any ideas?

Cheers for any replies

Soldato
Hi all,

After shutting down Windows I always flick the switch off on the power supply, so that the computer is completely 'off'.
Don't think you find many people do this....(But I maybe wrong :p )

The only time i use the switch on the back of my PSU is went my system locks up or when am working on something inside the case..

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably just a relay clicking into action or something.

If you are concerned then perhaps it's time to isolate the PSU from the mains by flicking the switch on the wall rather than the PSU itself.

maj

maj

Soldato
I have also recently started to have this issue. I hear a popping noise as soon as I turn the plug on that powers the PSU (and everything else). My PSU is a Corsair 650W HX Modular so could be a known issue with their PSUs.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. Just to be clear it also happens if I just plug it straight into the wall too - as maj also states. The reason I turn it off at the PSU itself is that I have an iMac attached to the same power block and most of the time the PC is off as I only use it for gaming.

Not really a big deal, just wondered if it was anything much to be concerned about.

Associate
I realise this is an old post, but it seems to be the exact same issue I'm having. Corsair TX650, when I switch on the mains power there's a pop/bang sound that varies in how loud it is.
The actual pc works fine when booted though, I took it in to be looked at and the guy said it's fine, he checked it out and tested everything he can think of and there's nothing wrong. I tried moving the power lead to a different socket on the surge protector, same result. So, is this genuinely a "harmless" event?

Caporegime
Threadomancy!

Same psu. Popping noise when switching on at mains. Cleaned psu and it decreased in volume quite a bit. Visible spark within the psu.

Pc working a ok.

Any ideas gentlemen?

Associate
icon1.gif

Same issue when switching on power at wall socket. Corsair RM650X. Loud popping noise started occurring 6 months after new computer build.

Previously had a Seasonic 650 PSU in which I did this for years and no problems.

Old thread but 7 years later, problem is still here regarding Corsairs.

Soldato
Well, seeing as this has been dug up from its grave...

I doubt there are any relays inside an ATX PSU.

Switching off at the PSU/wall leaves the computer to rely on its RTC/CMOS battery for time and date. No one ever thinks to replace these periodically so it can lead to hardware confusion. Not terribly hard to sort out but tends to inconvenience people when it dies and they think some other hardware is faulty.

One could argue that regularly disconnecting and reconnecting the mains supply puts a PSU under stress.

Associate
it is inrush current
It sparks because it charges up the capacitors
if you use the switch to much it can fail so if you plan to keep the PSU for 20 years do not abuse it

Associate
Fact of the matter is, this problem is specific to corsairs. I've never heard of this occurring in any other PSU brand. Don't believe me? do a google search and Corsair will come up. So they may be cheaping out on components, which given their price is not a good thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom